BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding MY2020 1/20 530ix Software Update Questions and Observations

08-16-2021, 04:52 PM   #23
taskrov
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 530ix Sport Line

Garage List
2020 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
I made a service appointment for the 31st to have it looked at. I also have some weird stuff happening with the phone. I have not been able to figure out how to reproduce it yet. A couple of times it has started to stack up 40 phone numbers one after the other from my contact list to call. This happened while started to drive off. It really freaked me out as I tried to figure out how to stop it. I finally turned BT off on my phone . This has never happened before the software upgrade.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 10:09 AM   #24
dangla
Private
Denmark
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO - FERRAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by taskrov View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangla View Post
Thanks, i am on 20/11 G30 MY2020 ID7 (iDrive Lite) - I got Android auto..
Do you see Android Auto (like Apple CarPlay) under your Digital Subscriptions in the myBMW app?
I dont see Android Auto under my Digital Subscriptions.. I am getting next software update on tuesday next week.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 11:29 PM   #25
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
I made a service appointment for the 31st to have it looked at. I also have some weird stuff happening with the phone. I have not been able to figure out how to reproduce it yet. A couple of times it has started to stack up 40 phone numbers one after the other from my contact list to call. This happened while started to drive off. It really freaked me out as I tried to figure out how to stop it. I finally turned BT off on my phone . This has never happened before the software upgrade.
Yeah, the re-flash should help get it sorted as you're missing a few apps as well that I see on my car. Such as Uneven Ground and M Laptimer.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 10:04 AM   #26
taskrov
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
For me it lists both AA and CarPlay.

Your car might need them to re-flash the update as it should be on any car with to 07/20 update or later. I think the must have failed to re-sync something with BMW.

Attachment 2673864
I received a callback about my IT ticket about missing AA. I was told AA is supported only for MY2021 cars. They said to call Head Office Genius number, which, I did.

They was very nice and seemed IT oriented, put me on hold to check. He came back with the same answer. When I mentioned that other people are getting AA on their MY2020 G30, he suggested 1) Possibly the kind of options I have on my car (e.g. "radio"???) may determine/enable/prevent support of AA. 2) Go to dealer and have them re-flash the software; this is to address the weird behavior of the car dialing 40 numbers one after the other from my phone contact list. I told him it has only happened twice and I cannot yet reproduce it. He said try to capture it by phone video, they accept that as evidence. I have screen pictures already. This is so freaky that I don't see how I would get the phone ready when I am trying to stop this from happening. This has only happened while driving.

I will update after my aug 31st service visit. In the end, it might be cheaper to just get an iPhone and be done with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 11:40 AM   #27
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
I received a callback about my IT ticket about missing AA. I was told AA is supported only for MY2021 cars. They said to call Head Office Genius number, which, I did.

They was very nice and seemed IT oriented, put me on hold to check. He came back with the same answer. When I mentioned that other people are getting AA on their MY2020 G30, he suggested 1) Possibly the kind of options I have on my car (e.g. "radio"???) may determine/enable/prevent support of AA. 2) Go to dealer and have them re-flash the software; this is to address the weird behavior of the car dialing 40 numbers one after the other from my phone contact list. I told him it has only happened twice and I cannot yet reproduce it. He said try to capture it by phone video, they accept that as evidence. I have screen pictures already. This is so freaky that I don't see how I would get the phone ready when I am trying to stop this from happening. This has only happened while driving.

I will update after my aug 31st service visit. In the end, it might be cheaper to just get an iPhone and be done with it.
It the the result of the absolute cluster fuck BMW created with our iDrive 7 “Lite” cars. They have no clue what is or isn’t supported as to them our cars don’t exist. Which is super frustrating. The same is true for our manuals which include mostly MY2021 information which doesn’t apply to our cars or the early MY2020 cars, like mine, missing the valet switch as that was supposed to be in iDrive, but isn’t.

But enough ranting from me…

A reflash should fix it as long as the dealer syncs the car with BMW properly. I can assure you that MY2020 cars with iDrive 7 support Android Auto after the July 2020 update as it has been very clearly referenced on the forums (and I have it in my car).

It is not “option dependent” as all MY2020 G30 cars come with iDrive 7 as standard.

Which local dealer did you have update your car? Mine was updated at BMW of the Main Line when I went to the July 2020 update.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 02:05 PM   #28
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Here are a few photos from my MY2020 530xe.

Notice the additional Apps and Android Auto? And some of your icons look different. You can try Updating Apps and Services to see if that at least gets some of the apps in line, but a re-flash sounds like what you’ll need.

Name:  IMG_2225.jpeg
Views: 264
Size:  254.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2226.jpeg
Views: 266
Size:  235.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2227.jpeg
Views: 255
Size:  246.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 02:18 PM   #29
taskrov
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
Quote:
It the the result of the absolute cluster fuck BMW created with our iDrive 7 “Lite” cars. They have no clue what is or isn’t supported as to them our cars don’t exist. Which is super frustrating. The same is true for our manuals which include mostly MY2021 information which doesn’t apply to our cars or the early MY2020 cars, like mine, missing the valet switch as that was supposed to be in iDrive, but isn’t.

But enough ranting from me…

A reflash should fix it as long as the dealer syncs the car with BMW properly. I can assure you that MY2020 cars with iDrive 7 support Android Auto after the July 2020 update as it has been very clearly referenced on the forums (and I have it in my car).

It is not “option dependent” as all MY2020 G30 cars come with iDrive 7 as standard.

Which local dealer did you have update your car? Mine was updated at BMW of the Main Line when I went to the July 2020 update.
I purchased the car from BMW Main Line and that is where I take it for service. I was looking for a new one, but they had a demo with 5K miles and they gave me a great price. The car is in absolutely prefect condition.

I could try Devon if this runs into dead end. I hate the "front desk." They treat me as an idiot. I really would like to the talk to the person who does the work. BTW, I found more problems with Gesture control and can reproduce this. It freezes up. So more ammunition. But this time I am escalating to Management.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 04:02 PM   #30
taskrov
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
Quote:

Notice the additional Apps and Android Auto? And some of your icons look different. You can try Updating Apps and Services to see if that at least gets some of the apps in line, but a re-flash sounds like what you’ll need.

Attachment 2675382

Attachment 2675383

Attachment 2675384
What Live Cockpit option do you have? The attached BMW document about AA compatibility says in the first FAQ that the car must have either 6U3 or 6U2. Mine is 6U3.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf GSG_Android_Auto (1).pdf (2.90 MB, 220 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 02:26 PM   #31
taskrov
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
Quote:

Attachment 2675382

Attachment 2675383

Attachment 2675384
I think the icons with both have are the same, but maybe I missed some small difference. You have three more that I don't have. Traffic Cameras is available that I have not yet subscribed--it is a good deal. Don't know what it others do.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 01:12 PM   #32
taskrov
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
(solved) AA on pre-LCI MY2020 5 series possible per BMW

Quote:

Your car might need them to re-flash the update as it should be on any car with to 07/20 update or later. I think the must have failed to re-sync something with BMW.

Attachment 2673864
I got my car back today from the dealer today. AA has been installed and missing apps are on the menu (Alexa, Uneven Surfaces, M Laptimer). The problem was in the backend configuration. I was impressed with the Tech who kept at it, working with the Head Office to get this resolved. I think it helped to provide them with a link to the BMW Genius video and the BMW AA compatibility document that showed that AA is supported on this vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 01:21 PM   #33
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
I got my car back today from the dealer today. AA has been installed and missing apps are on the menu (Alexa, Uneven Surfaces, M Laptimer). The problem was in the backend configuration. I was impressed with the Tech who kept at it, working with the Head Office to get this resolved. I think it helped to provide them with a link to the BMW Genius video and the BMW AA compatibility document that showed that AA is supported on this vehicle.
Glad it is sorted out. Since it took so long and wasn't a simple "re-sync" I can only guess that BMW AG servers had incorrect information for your VIN that needed sorting out.

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 08:07 PM   #34
taskrov
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
Quote:

Attachment 2673864
So now having AA after battling for the iDrive update, I am not so crazy about it. AA works fine, but it keeps disconnecting/reconnecting often. On a couple hours drive to DC today it did it at least five times. Finally, I got tired of that and switched to the built-in navigation. Not sure if my phone is at fault or the BMW software. I have googled around a bit and it seems to happen to many people. Now my phone (OnePlus 7T) is not on the (official) BMW list, which is very short, but BMW Compatibility document only states that you need Android 11, which my phone has.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 08:53 AM   #35
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Don't want to be 'that guy', but it might be time to shift to the dark side ...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 09:30 AM   #36
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
So now having AA after battling for the iDrive update, I am not so crazy about it. AA works fine, but it keeps disconnecting/reconnecting often. On a couple hours drive to DC today it did it at least five times. Finally, I got tired of that and switched to the built-in navigation. Not sure if my phone is at fault or the BMW software. I have googled around a bit and it seems to happen to many people. Now my phone (OnePlus 7T) is not on the (official) BMW list, which is very short, but BMW Compatibility document only states that you need Android 11, which my phone has.
Android has always been a bit more challenging. The problem could exist in BMW implementation, One Plus WiFi hardware or software stack, Google stack…

Good luck as Samsung is the dominating Android OEM so I imagine anything else is tricky terrain. But I haven’t used Android in a very long time.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 09:58 AM   #37
taskrov
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Android has always been a bit more challenging. The problem could exist in BMW implementation, One Plus WiFi hardware or software stack, Google stack…

Good luck as Samsung is the dominating Android OEM so I imagine anything else is tricky terrain. But I haven’t used Android in a very long time.
My whole family has been urging me to get an iPhone for some time, so maybe it is the time to join them.
Appreciate 0