Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Time for another!

04-22-2024, 09:32 AM   #23
Funboy78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘72’ BMW M340d G20 LCI

Latest update:

Received a call today confirming the car has gone into build. Was told that I almost received a call Saturday morning to say they couldn’t get the build slot after all and my order would be cancelled. He then explained by the afternoon they had 2 build slots for an X3 and was able to trade one for the tourer with another dealer so all secured now.
It appears at the weekend there were only 6 slots left, he even called BMW for an extension or extra build and was told no. This info is really for anyone else looking at diesel, you might have a day or so left then that’s it.

As for Ceramic, I’ve put that on hold.
I asked if they cleaned, decontaminated, paint correct/polish 1 day, apply on day 2, cure on day 3. He said they do 2 & 3 but not 1. He explained (fair enough) they don’t understand part 1 as it would be brand new from factory so shouldn’t need polishing or correcting?
It is lifeshine they apply inside and out.
I spoke to an Exclusive Car Care PPF & Ceramic coatings in bath, the quote is £1030 ex VAT.

I don’t know enough to compare to be honest so will need to research some more.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 10:16 AM   #24
alFR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series

Don't know what's in Lifeshine exactly (i.e. what the chemistry of it is) but due to lack of / improper prep it's unlikely to look as good or last as long as a proper detailer-applied coating (or even one you do yourself if you prep the car properly).

The car will have a significant amount of iron fallout, tar and general grime on it after transport so it will need decontamination to remove all that before the coating is applied: if they don't do that then it will affect the coating longevity. Also any car from factory will have some paint defects (holograms, swirls etc.), maybe from factory or if not then inflicted by the washing regime either at the port (where they remove the transport wax) or by the valet team at the dealers. How bad it is varies but there will be something there, so most people would do at least a mild paint correction before putting a several-year ceramic coating on. The quote you got sounds in the right ballpark for correction and coating.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2024, 11:30 AM   #25
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alFR View Post
Don't know what's in Lifeshine exactly (i.e. what the chemistry of it is) but due to lack of / improper prep it's unlikely to look as good or last as long as a proper detailer-applied coating (or even one you do yourself if you prep the car properly).

The car will have a significant amount of iron fallout, tar and general grime on it after transport so it will need decontamination to remove all that before the coating is applied: if they don't do that then it will affect the coating longevity. Also any car from factory will have some paint defects (holograms, swirls etc.), maybe from factory or if not then inflicted by the washing regime either at the port (where they remove the transport wax) or by the valet team at the dealers. How bad it is varies but there will be something there, so most people would do at least a mild paint correction before putting a several-year ceramic coating on. The quote you got sounds in the right ballpark for correction and coating.
^^^^^^ This is exactly!
I’ve now had two brand new cars in a row done with GTechniq crystal serum ultra and Exo coated and both definitely needed some paint correction from factory build, transportation fallout crap and dealer’s removal of protection covers.
Cost was around the one grand mark and worth every penny when it comes to ease of looking after provided you are careful with your washing technique!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 02:43 PM   #26
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

My current car is mineral white, which I have found less prone to visual marks.
I spent a day when I bought it on decontamination then coating. To be fair after three years, I was glad I spent the day and around £100 on products.
Now my previous 440i car was mineral grey, and I paid for a full detail and gtechniq ceramic coating from a local detailer. Protected it very well.
Same story with my blue 330 before that.
My take on it is that if it's a dark colour, ceramic will help, however water marks from the high hydrophobic coating can be a pain in the ass...
For pale colours, I do not think I'd bother. For dark colours, overall I'd get it done professionally.
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0