BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Brand new G31 530e is ok, but...

12-20-2020, 01:07 PM   #1
Lp01
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 MG/DCT (gone!)

Cool Brand new G31 530e is ok, but...

Hi,

One week after delivery, I am overall positively impressed by the car.

Namely, comfort (seats and suspension), overall looks (first car I own that gets some compliments about the color - bernina grey), drive feeling (heavy, I know, but as good as a PHEV station could be IMHO), performance and praticality and a top multimedia system.

Downsides so far:

1) leather from the seats has some waves/ it just looks that they used to much leather and/or did not stretch it properly if you know what I mean. Thinking about complaining about this. I think it will get worse with time!

2) Although I choose the M sports package interior aluminum trim, there are several interior trim in that “black plastic which scratches if you just breath near it”. This material is also highly prone to finger stains and the thing after 5 days of use looks dirty/bad. If you want this material to look neat I guess you have to clean it every other day, which in my case won’t happen

3) Same as above in the exterior because I have this black trim that (al least) in Europe is included in the M package. Ohh man, the door trims we touch to close the door itself are full of fingerprints.

Number 2 and 3 are problems by design, but I would like to know if some of you do feel the upholstery is not that good and have the same problem. Maybe I was bad luck and a trainee did the job in my car

Regards
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 03:44 PM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Not an issue with my upholstery but they may be different. I have the Nappa.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 05:57 AM   #3
raduron10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp01 View Post
Hi,

Namely, comfort (seats and suspension), overall looks (first car I own that gets some compliments about the color - bernina grey), drive feeling (heavy, I know, but as good as a PHEV station could be IMHO), performance and praticality and a top multimedia system.

Downsides so far:

1) leather from the seats has some waves/ it just looks that they used to much leather and/or did not stretch it properly if you know what I mean. Thinking about complaining about this. I think it will get worse with time!

2) Although I choose the M sports package interior aluminum trim, there are several interior trim in that “black plastic which scratches if you just breath near it”. This material is also highly prone to finger stains and the thing after 5 days of use looks dirty/bad. If you want this material to look neat I guess you have to clean it every other day, which in my case won’t happen

3) Same as above in the exterior because I have this black trim that (al least) in Europe is included in the M package. Ohh man, the door trims we touch to close the door itself are full of fingerprints.

Number 2 and 3 are problems by design, but I would like to know if some of you do feel the upholstery is not that good and have the same problem. Maybe I was bad luck and a trainee did the job in my car

Regards

What MY is your car?

I've noticed that on the LCI they also offer a sensatec option for the leather, so now there are 3 types of interior material: cloth, sensatec and leather (here are 3 options, dakota, nappa and individual - from cheaper to more expensive).

I personally have 2017 MY with dakota and indeed had waves from 20 000 km. I believe the nappa which is 1000 euros more than the dakota is indeed better quality. The individual is usually double the price of the dakota.

About the interior trims, the matte ones are the best, all piano glossy trims are a pain, they scratch very easy, collect dust and fingerprints and are a pain to keep clean.

The black exterior trims collect fingerprints easier and at least from my experience in my past BMW with those trims, in time, they will get a discoloration something like a rainbow look which looks very nasty. Keep them away from bright sunlight in the summer and also avoid using bad quality foams when washing the car. That way they will keep their original look better.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 09:54 AM   #4
Lp01
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raduron10 View Post
What MY is your car?

I've noticed that on the LCI they also offer a sensatec option for the leather, so now there are 3 types of interior material: cloth, sensatec and leather (here are 3 options, dakota, nappa and individual - from cheaper to more expensive).

I personally have 2017 MY with dakota and indeed had waves from 20 000 km. I believe the nappa which is 1000 euros more than the dakota is indeed better quality. The individual is usually double the price of the dakota.

About the interior trims, the matte ones are the best, all piano glossy trims are a pain, they scratch very easy, collect dust and fingerprints and are a pain to keep clean.

The black exterior trims collect fingerprints easier and at least from my experience in my past BMW with those trims, in time, they will get a discoloration something like a rainbow look which looks very nasty. Keep them away from bright sunlight in the summer and also avoid using bad quality foams when washing the car. That way they will keep their original look better.
Thanks for the heads up regarding the trims! My car is a LCI touring, manufactured in the last week of October. In fact, it is Dakota Leather. The leather feels and looks nice, with the exception of the "wave effect"...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 11:19 AM   #5
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I had Dakota in my prior car (2016 330e) and while I didn't like it (which is partly why I am now in a 530e with Nappa) I did not have the wave effect you are describing. It must be a manufacturing defect. Time to see your dealership
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 04:26 PM   #6
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

Downsides so far:

Regards

What MY is your car?

Order Maquiers scratch X and Turtle Wax Carnuba spray. It will take care of scratches and put a protective layer that will minimize finger prints.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2020, 05:17 AM   #7
Xbhp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530 MSport

Any pics of the wave you're seeing?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 07:00 AM   #8
Jas387
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
I have a 2021 540i and don’t think I have any of the waves you’re referring to (although I do think I know what you mean).

I don’t like the shiny black plastic very much either, but I keep a microfibre cloth in the door pocket to give it a quick wipe every now and again. Keeps the fingerprints off, and I don’t have any scratches yet.

The exterior shadow line trim is very soft so the detailer who did our ceramic coating advised me to shut the door using the exterior handle. The more you touch the black trim (to close doors, or wipe fingerprints off etc), the quicker it will start to look dull and scratched. It took me a while to get used to doing this, but I do it all the time now.

Last edited by Jas387; 12-22-2020 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 07:32 AM   #9
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas387 View Post
I have a 2021 540i and don't think I have any of the waves you're referring to (although I do think I know what you mean).

I don't like the shiny black plastic very much either, but I keep a microfibre cloth in the door pocket to give it a quick wipe every now and again. Keeps the fingerprints off, and I don't have any scratches yet.

The exterior shadow line trim is very soft so the detailer who did our ceramic coating advised me to shut the door using the exterior handle. The more you touch the black trim (to close doors, or wipe fingerprints off etc), the quicker it it will start to look dull and scratched. It took me a while to get used to doing this, but I do it all the time now.
When you say close the door using the exterior handle .. do you mean like using the handle as the point you touch/push to get the door to shut vs putting your hand on the top part of the door ?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 07:47 AM   #10
raduron10
Private First Class
Rep

OP, about the waves, you are referring to something like this right ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 08:12 AM   #11
Jas387
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
When you say close the door using the exterior handle .. do you mean like using the handle as the point you touch/push to get the door to shut vs putting your hand on the top part of the door ?
Yes, exactly that. Apparently the paint is harder to scratch than the plastic trim, and fingerprints don't notice as much on the handle, so you won't need to be continually wiping them off, which also causes scratches over time.

It took a while to train my family to do the same (and they all think I'm a bit obsessive!) but we all do it now.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 05:59 PM   #12
Lp01
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
OP, about the waves, you are referring to something like this right ?
And also Xbhp

Yes, it is exactly that!

My photos below. Two weeks car 300 km but the waves were there since day one!!

Name:  8DD60E92-D5D1-4269-9B3A-67BC68982D62.jpg
Views: 1843
Size:  282.9 KB

Name:  7A318936-75BC-4BB8-839A-7DAD8C72DF88.jpg
Views: 1820
Size:  215.6 KB

Last edited by Lp01; 12-22-2020 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 06:01 PM   #13
Lp01
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas387 View Post
I have a 2021 540i and don’t think I have any of the waves you’re referring to (although I do think I know what you mean).

I don’t like the shiny black plastic very much either, but I keep a microfibre cloth in the door pocket to give it a quick wipe every now and again. Keeps the fingerprints off, and I don’t have any scratches yet.

The exterior shadow line trim is very soft so the detailer who did our ceramic coating advised me to shut the door using the exterior handle. The more you touch the black trim (to close doors, or wipe fingerprints off etc), the quicker it will start to look dull and scratched. It took me a while to get used to doing this, but I do it all the time now.
Also thought about closing the door using de handle but it will take years to train my family
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 09:20 PM   #14
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

wondering if the bmw leather conditioner will help 'tighten' up the leather waves you see
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 06:33 AM   #15
Barticus
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 530d

I have had similar dents in the leather and have fixed it with a careful wipe from a fairly damp cloth and then using a leather conditioner. It will take a few weeks if you repeat the process regularly, but it should go away eventually. Your damage looks like someone knelt on the seat.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 06:34 AM   #16
raduron10
Private First Class
Rep

OP my car has 45000 km and looks just about like yours, maybe a little worse, the leather will surely create new creases, but over time.

I've seen the leather in far worse shape even in low mileage cars, maybe the weight of the driver plays a role, the type of leather surely does and also how carefully do you maintain it.

packet@ From my limited knowledge in car detailing, I believe the leather conditioners soften the leather and moisturizes it. I don't know if any product can tighten it to it's original form, I believe the bad leather quality is the cause of it's stretching.
Appreciate 1
paquet629.50
      12-23-2020, 03:06 PM   #17
Lp01
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Today I sent the seat pictures to the dealer (the salesman who sold the car) and he admitted it was not normal and asked me to bring the car there in the 2nd week of January.

Actually I am affraid of what they can/will do. Will they send the car or even just the seats to a “local artisan”? Don’t believe they will install brand new seats...

Well, anyway I’ll have to wait and see
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 03:11 PM   #18
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Today I sent the seat pictures to the dealer (the salesman who sold the car) and he admitted it was not normal and asked me to bring the car there in the 2nd week of January.

Actually I am affraid of what they can/will do. Will they send the car or even just the seats to a “local artisan”? Don’t believe they will install brand new seats...

Well, anyway I’ll have to wait and see
If BMW OKs the warranty claim they'll install new seats. Otherwise, they can goodwill it if they decide to do so and install new seats. They won't get an artisan or anything like that to repair the seat as swapping in a new one is cheaper and would carry BMW warranty obligations and all that jazz.

The bigger question you'll have is do you want them ripping out the seats and installing new ones which has its own level of risks. But seats are standard so that shouldn't be too problematic. I have a repair bulletin on my car for a missing valet switch, but I'm holding off on it as I'm not interested in them ripping up the dash and then having creaks all over the place!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 04:39 PM   #19
Lp01
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
The bigger question you'll have is do you want them ripping out the seats and installing new ones which has its own level of risks. But seats are standard so that shouldn't be too problematic. I have a repair bulletin on my car for a missing valet switch, but I'm holding off on it as I'm not interested in them ripping up the dash and then having creaks all over the place!
Exactly... but as you say, better a seat swap than a dashboard disassembly/ assembly. In theory it should be just a handful of screws and nuts to release it. But taking those out and new ones in is a good recipe for scratching either the outside or the inside of the car

If they would give me the option of doing it in, say, one year, I would accept it
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 06:11 PM   #20
Lp01
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Given that the leather covers can be bought separately from the foam base and the seat frame, do you know if it is something that can be refitted without actually removing the entire seats from the car?
Regards
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 05:31 PM   #21
g11730d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G11

Quote:
Given that the leather covers can be bought separately from the foam base and the seat frame, do you know if it is something that can be refitted without actually removing the entire seats from the car?
Regards
I doubt that would be the case because I imagine the long labour time removing each separate part of the seat negates the convenience of not having to remove the seat itself - so the likelihood is that the whole seat will be removed.
      12-27-2020, 05:22 PM   #22
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
And also Xbhp

Yes, it is exactly that!

My photos below. Two weeks car 300 km but the waves were there since day one!!

Attachment 2488841

Attachment 2488842
Yo my humble opinion, this is normal.

I've just looked at 10 random CPO offerings on the BMW site, and I didn't see one without these waves. Good thing is that it doesn't seem really to worsen with the increasing milage of the car.
Appreciate 0