BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

09-05-2023, 08:28 PM   #1
yash27
Registered
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Performance

G80 M3 comp xdrive vs Tesla Model 3 Performance acceleration

Hi guys,
I currently have a 2022 model 3 performance and I was looking into getting a G80 M3 comp xdrive.

I recently test drove a friends G80 comp rwd and the while the car definitely pulled harder than my tesla after 80 mph, it felt a little slow at lower speeds when compared to instant torque of my model 3.

I generally don't exceed 90 mph when I drive and I don't track my car. I mostly enjoy 0-60 pulls and driving backroads near my house.

Does anyone with a G80 comp xdrive have experience driving a model 3 performance? If so, does the acceleration below 60 mph knock you back in your seat like a Tesla? Obviously I know the torque isn't going to be as instant as an EV, but I really enjoy that feeling of getting thrown back into the seat.

Also, how is the road noise? I understand an M car may not be as quiet inside but once a month I have a 200 mile road trip so it would be nice not to hear a bunch of wind constantly like the model 3.

I'm planning on test driving an M3 comp xdrive but I doubt the dealership will let me launch it or anything of the sort. So I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with both cars.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 08:53 PM   #2
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

i've owned a model 3 performance, g80 manual RWD and g80 comp xdrive. Comparing completely stock cars 0-60, the xdrive is slightly faster than the model3 (roughly 3.0s vs 3.3s) although the lack of gear shifts and the instant response may give the feeling that the tesla is faster, it isn't. After 60 it's not even close.

Tuned the xdrive is in a completely different league than the model3, it is closer in performance to a model S plaid, 0-60 in low 2s range.

Even if you're not interested in modifying i dont see any way you are going to disappointed in any aspect of the performance of the xdrive as compared to the model3. I had MPP coilovers on mine which made it a bit more engaging and capable but even with that the m3 xdrive is far better as a driver's car by pretty much every metric.
Appreciate 2
brava09767.00
      09-05-2023, 09:03 PM   #3
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Owned a Model 3 LR 2 years, Performance 2 years. Get the xDrive. I ordered a G80 xDrive, will be here in October.

Traded in my Model 3 in December on my wife’s Cayenne. I don’t miss it at all. Part of that is because her Cayenne is a PHEV so I can sneak to the grocery store in EV mode. But otherwise I don’t miss the road and wind noise, the awful suspension (kids literally bouncing off the back seat) the crappy seats (comfy but ZERO bolstering) the lack of Car Play and Sirius, spotty streaming connection, horrible auto wipers and updates that take features away.

Oh, and the “customer service”. Lol

Gonna sting when you fill up, but there are plenty of EV’s in our future. Not as many ICE down the road.
Appreciate 1
bwoodahl235.00
      09-05-2023, 11:12 PM   #4
thecakeisalie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘23 G80x

The M3P is probably a bit faster 0-60 in the real world (eg no need to do launch control), but that’s only down to 60-70% charge. I remember mine falling off noticeably from there, but I had a 2018 so maybe they improved since then. Road noise is better in the BMW. All outside noise is more muted than in the model 3. You’ll pick up and hear plenty of rocks at slower speeds though due to the much wider tires lol
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 10:16 AM   #5
Showtyme5
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf

I’m in a similar dilemma. Have a model 3 performance and am looking at either the M3 Comp X-drive or Model S (LR or Plaid). Decisions, decisions……

I was able to test drive an M4 Comp X-drive and it was definitely fast. I just thought the exhaust sounded terrible - like a bunch of farts
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 10:19 AM   #6
hellcat2m4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash27 View Post
Hi guys,
I currently have a 2022 model 3 performance and I was looking into getting a G80 M3 comp xdrive.

I recently test drove a friends G80 comp rwd and the while the car definitely pulled harder than my tesla after 80 mph, it felt a little slow at lower speeds when compared to instant torque of my model 3.

I generally don't exceed 90 mph when I drive and I don't track my car. I mostly enjoy 0-60 pulls and driving backroads near my house.

Does anyone with a G80 comp xdrive have experience driving a model 3 performance? If so, does the acceleration below 60 mph knock you back in your seat like a Tesla? Obviously I know the torque isn't going to be as instant as an EV, but I really enjoy that feeling of getting thrown back into the seat.

Also, how is the road noise? I understand an M car may not be as quiet inside but once a month I have a 200 mile road trip so it would be nice not to hear a bunch of wind constantly like the model 3.

I'm planning on test driving an M3 comp xdrive but I doubt the dealership will let me launch it or anything of the sort. So I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with both cars.

Thanks!
Stock the G80 is faster 0-60, quarter mile, and 60-130 (even though you said you don't plan on going that fast).

If you plan to tune, it's not even close like Chris said. You would be more in line with the model x plaid, most likely still slightly slower though.

The instant torque and no gear changes makes it "feel" fast, but its definitely not.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 10:27 AM   #7
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtyme5 View Post
I’m in a similar dilemma. Have a model 3 performance and am looking at either the M3 Comp X-drive or Model S (LR or Plaid). Decisions, decisions……

I was able to test drive an M4 Comp X-drive and it was definitely fast. I just thought the exhaust sounded terrible - like a bunch of farts
Do yourself a favor. Get out of the Elonverse.
Appreciate 2
kjx3197.00
      09-06-2023, 07:45 PM   #8
Nicky_do_it
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP manual (previous)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellcat2m4 View Post
Stock the G80 is faster 0-60, quarter mile, and 60-130 (even though you said you don't plan on going that fast).

If you plan to tune, it's not even close like Chris said. You would be more in line with the model x plaid, most likely still slightly slower though.

The instant torque and no gear changes makes it "feel" fast, but its definitely not.
Agree on 0-60 and 60 -130. In between, not my experience unfortunately. On a roll from 30 and 40 to 80 or 90, Model 3 took me consistently. I have taken at higher speeds and have no doubt with launch control or power braking from a dig. The match up at lower speed roll was depressing. So much that i start investigating how to brake boost or getting a tune.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 08:41 PM   #9
hellcat2m4
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky_do_it View Post
Agree on 0-60 and 60 -130. In between, not my experience unfortunately. On a roll from 30 and 40 to 80 or 90, Model 3 took me consistently. I have taken at higher speeds and have no doubt with launch control or power braking from a dig. The match up at lower speed roll was depressing. So much that i start investigating how to brake boost or getting a tune.
Thats odd, not sure if you weren't in the proper gear or what, but i have raced multiple model 3 and model y performance and never lost to one when I was stock. Many many 40 rolls and digs with pretty much the same result everytime.
Also when I was still stock I always ran a E25 blend to get the full amount of power, and not have the car pull timing from bad gas. (the owners manual says up to e25 is good)

Now its just a joke when they try with my e50 tune, but I still feel obliged to give them the sauce since they so badly want it apparently
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 09:17 PM   #10
Nicky_do_it
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP manual (previous)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellcat2m4 View Post
Thats odd, not sure if you weren't in the proper gear or what, but i have raced multiple model 3 and model y performance and never lost to one when I was stock. Many many 40 rolls and digs with pretty much the same result everytime.
Also when I was still stock I always ran a E25 blend to get the full amount of power, and not have the car pull timing from bad gas. (the owners manual says up to e25 is good)

Now its just a joke when they try with my e50 tune, but I still feel obliged to give them the sauce since they so badly want it apparently
I was manually shifting. Had in gear so rpms were around 4k. I havent ever considered the ethanol % but will for now on.

Check out carwow video. Rolling race from 30. G80x doesnt pass until 100mph. Not just me.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/03/28/b...l-3-drag-race/

Last edited by Nicky_do_it; 09-06-2023 at 09:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2023, 01:23 AM   #11
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:
You need to be above 3k rpm at anytime and in the proper gear; otherwise, below 3k there is no torque, or if you need kickdown you’re a sitting duck to almost any EV not only model 3.
More difficult from a dig, as brake boosting would make you look like a tool
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2023, 03:32 AM   #12
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Owned a Model 3 LR 2 years, Performance 2 years. Get the xDrive. I ordered a G80 xDrive, will be here in October.

Traded in my Model 3 in December on my wife’s Cayenne. I don’t miss it at all. Part of that is because her Cayenne is a PHEV so I can sneak to the grocery store in EV mode. But otherwise I don’t miss the road and wind noise, the awful suspension (kids literally bouncing off the back seat) the crappy seats (comfy but ZERO bolstering) the lack of Car Play and Sirius, spotty streaming connection, horrible auto wipers and updates that take features away.

Oh, and the “customer service”. Lol

Gonna sting when you fill up, but there are plenty of EV’s in our future. Not as many ICE down the road.
I'm curious how much of that is going to be addressed in the Model 3 Project Highland update.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 05:38 AM   #13
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
You need to be above 3k rpm at anytime and in the proper gear; otherwise, below 3k there is no torque, or if you need kickdown you’re a sitting duck to almost any EV not only model 3.
More difficult from a dig, as brake boosting would make you look like a tool
Just get the rolling anti-lag in your tune and be done with it. It’s addicting
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 09:13 AM   #14
hellcat2m4
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I was manually shifting. Had in gear so rpms were around 4k. I havent ever considered the ethanol % but will for now on.

Check out carwow video. Rolling race from 30. G80x doesnt pass until 100mph. Not just me.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/03/28/b...l-3-drag-race/
He was in 2nd at 30mph instead of 2nd at 40mph where he should be. 3rd gear at 50mph on the second one, it should be third gear at 60 minimum so I can see why that happened. Definitely run e25 it helps timing imensely as most 93 octane stations aren't really 93.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 07:42 PM   #15
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
I would just get a Plaid, especially since theyre at $89k. right now. Or. wait to see what Elon has up his sleeve. Its going to cost you like $20-$30k in mods, to even get close to what a Plaid can do for $89k. You definitely need a built motor to get you there. I see people running the 1/4 mile times, and only a handful of those are even close. 60-130.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 02:51 PM   #16
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
I would just get a Plaid, especially since theyre at $89k. right now. Or. wait to see what Elon has up his sleeve. Its going to cost you like $20-$30k in mods, to even get close to what a Plaid can do for $89k. You definitely need a built motor to get you there. I see people running the 1/4 mile times, and only a handful of those are even close. 60-130.
If 0-60 and instant acceleration is the objective, then I agree that the Plaid is the way to go. It seems like an uphill battle to try and beat an EV at the thing that an EV does best.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13472.00
      09-08-2023, 03:50 PM   #17
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

As an EV hater (especially Tesla) I'll try to be as objective as possible.
My first EV drive was my brother's Model Y LR. Even in this "slow" car, the feel is unbelivable. From what I've heard, other EVs doesn't feel that fast and EVs will, always feel faster than thier combastion engine rivals.
I like to drive on twisty roads and tracks and love the noise so an EV, as fast as it is, isn't my thing but I'm trying to help the OP and not help me :-)
There are many aspects to compare but the BMW is an all around better car. It really depends which aspects are the most important for you. If you like the accelaration feel, it is Tesla model 3 performance all the way.
Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2023, 06:39 PM   #18
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
i've owned a model 3 performance, g80 manual RWD and g80 comp xdrive. Comparing completely stock cars 0-60, the xdrive is slightly faster than the model3 (roughly 3.0s vs 3.3s) although the lack of gear shifts and the instant response may give the feeling that the tesla is faster, it isn't. After 60 it's not even close.

Tuned the xdrive is in a completely different league than the model3, it is closer in performance to a model S plaid, 0-60 in low 2s range.

Even if you're not interested in modifying i dont see any way you are going to disappointed in any aspect of the performance of the xdrive as compared to the model3. I had MPP coilovers on mine which made it a bit more engaging and capable but even with that the m3 xdrive is far better as a driver's car by pretty much every metric.
LOL
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2023, 07:56 PM   #19
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
As much as I love my ICE cars, the fast electric cars, make ICE cars feel like last years model. Out of date. Waiting for the transmission to shift, lag, etc. ICE cars have had over 100 years to get them to where they are, today. Electric cars pretty much started with the first year Model S. Everything before that was just something car companies were trying to make work.

For me, as much as I love the sound of an ICE car, and nothing is going to change that, I do like the inspant torque and power that electric cars deliver. Sure, people complain about this, and complain about that, but, for as young as this field is, its making up a lot of ground, and quickly. Imagine where they are going to be in 10 or 15 years. The sound will never be there. No electric car is going to sound like a V12 Ferrari, ever. But, for Tesla to now sit at the top of the mountain, to claim the best selling vehicle, in as short of a time as Tesla has been operating, is pretty astonishing, to say the least.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 09:40 PM   #20
hellcat2m4
First Lieutenant
Rep

The build quality/interior would never let me go that route, but to each their own!
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13472.00
      09-09-2023, 05:57 PM   #21
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
As much as I love my ICE cars, the fast electric cars, make ICE cars feel like last years model. Out of date. Waiting for the transmission to shift, lag, etc. ICE cars have had over 100 years to get them to where they are, today. Electric cars pretty much started with the first year Model S. Everything before that was just something car companies were trying to make work.

For me, as much as I love the sound of an ICE car, and nothing is going to change that, I do like the inspant torque and power that electric cars deliver. Sure, people complain about this, and complain about that, but, for as young as this field is, its making up a lot of ground, and quickly. Imagine where they are going to be in 10 or 15 years. The sound will never be there. No electric car is going to sound like a V12 Ferrari, ever. But, for Tesla to now sit at the top of the mountain, to claim the best selling vehicle, in as short of a time as Tesla has been operating, is pretty astonishing, to say the least.
I agree. It's astonishing to have a new car brand make it at all, let alone dominate. Tesla is doing so well because it appeals to the masses. As a daily driver, it's hard to beat. But as a fun engaging car? The Model S is certainly not that. Fast in a straight line and plenty fast even on a backroad. But fun? Nah. It's huge, heavy, leans in corners and I feel practically nothing in a turn. Maybe a Model 3 Performance is better, although in my short test drives it felt similarly heavy and about as engaging as a laser beam. Hopefully this improves over time.
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13472.00
brava09767.00
      09-09-2023, 07:54 PM   #22
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
I have a 2018 and 550 and I have been debating about eventually upgrading to another ICE like an F90 or G80.

I have recently started thinking about an EV, but looking at the Taycan.

I have a Cayenne GTS for my family car and that is one bad ass SUV. Once you’re in the Porsche world it’s hard to drive anything else.

The other day I was on the freeway and there was a guy ahead of me in a Taycan turbo. I could tell he was frustrated because the car in front of him was going slow in the fast lane. He changed over to the right lane to pass and his car fucking exploded. It was one of the most incredible feats of acceleration I have seen.

I think Teslas look boring, and I would never want one but a Taycan…. Porsche handling / fit and finish - and the instant power of an EV.

Something to think about if you can afford it. Prices on these are dropping like bricks you could probably get a really nice Taycan turbo CPO for about 100 grand.

Appreciate 0