BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Replace shocks/struts or coiloveers

09-13-2023, 06:30 PM   #1
V'sG30
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e

Replace shocks/struts or coiloveers

I have a 2018 530e and love the way it looks after installing H&R Springs about 3 years and 15k miles ago, but I'm pretty sure the shocks/struts are shot because the ride is terrible now.

With the car worth about $25k max, I'm hesitant to put a lot of money into it because of the relative value, and I'm skeptical that I'll keep it for longer than a couple of more years.

Local labor to replace shocks/struts with Bilstein B8's (what's recommended by them as a complement to the H&R springs) is $1900 so parts and labor gets me to $2500ish. Bilstein B16 PSS10's are off the table because just too much for parts and labor for the value/attachment to the car.

I'm also seeing ST XA (https://www.stsuspensions.com/shop?c...sxacoiloverkit) and with slightly lower labor cost as quoted by the same shop plus the parts, that could be a good option and land me at closer to $2k, but the reviews seem mixed.

What advice do you all have? Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 11:35 PM   #2
jagyro
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i

ive installed coil overs on 2 of my cars and love them. They just take a little bit to dial in to your liking. depending on how you want the ride to feel. Some coil overs come with a electric servo to control the dampening. You can also adjust the height of the car to what you want. But if your not planning on keeping the car for more than two more years just buy some replacement shocks. Don't break the bank on OEM or high end shocks. Just something to get you by. Shocks normally feel very close to the same with each other in mid price range. high ends are just adjustable.

just my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 12:28 PM   #3
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

If you're not going to keep the car, why worry about upgraded struts/shocks? Just put the OEM's back on it. They'll last a couple years until you sell the car.
Appreciate 0