BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion Should Trump send Anne Sacoolas back to the UK?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-11-2019, 04:32 PM   #1
1 AKY
Major
1 AKY's Avatar
United Kingdom
310
Rep
1,207
Posts

Drives: E90 330D MSport Auto
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (1)

Should Trump send Anne Sacoolas back to the UK?

Discuss.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #2
JustChris
Lieutenant General
JustChris's Avatar
United Kingdom
8280
Rep
17,472
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

Yes
__________________
BMW X3 M40d Performance Auto
Sophisto Grey Metallic with Oyster Leather
Comfort Package + M Sport Plus Package + Technology Package
Appreciate 1
Poiseuille3235.00

      10-11-2019, 05:08 PM   #3
wdb
dances with roads
wdb's Avatar
United_States
1578
Rep
2,478
Posts

Drives: '07 Z4MC, '07 E93 328i
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: the perimeter

iTrader: (4)

Whether he does or not most folks won't notice. Kurds, impeachment.
Appreciate 1
Lups10935.50

      10-11-2019, 05:17 PM   #4
Poiseuille
Colonel
Poiseuille's Avatar
United_States
3235
Rep
2,721
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Princeton

iTrader: (0)

Marriage to a diplomat does not immunize her against killing people.
The President needs to convince her to do the right thing, which obviously is return to Britain. Right now.
Waiving Immunity sets a bad precedent and should not be done.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer15747.50

      10-11-2019, 05:24 PM   #5
Manivxr
Lieutenant
171
Rep
570
Posts

Drives: 435d EB
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Staffordshire

iTrader: (0)

Waiving immunity doesn't set any precedence. Previous decisions don't bind the POTUS. It needs to determined on a case by case basis.

The UK is not exactly a rouge state but a very close and special ally.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 05:20 AM   #6
TouringPleb
Colonel
2296
Rep
2,858
Posts

Drives: SRB 440i GC
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Cambs

iTrader: (0)

Yes
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 05:25 AM   #7
Wills2
Barge driver
Wills2's Avatar
United Kingdom
5494
Rep
9,776
Posts

Drives: G11 740d/X3M
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: West Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Send her back, send her back......

Trump supporters were chanting this only the other week....
__________________
G11 740d xdrive/X3M/Z4C, Gone F80 M3/F10 M5/F31 335d/e92 M3 x 2/F10 520d x 2/997 C2S/e46 M3/e46 320d/SL320/Touareg 3.2V6/Audi allroad 2.7TDi
Appreciate 3
MKSixer15747.50

      10-12-2019, 06:41 AM   #8
mikeoz
Brigadier General
mikeoz's Avatar
United Kingdom
1219
Rep
3,533
Posts

Drives: BMW X3 M40i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: cambs

iTrader: (1)

Lock her up lock her up...no wait that was Hillary...sorry
Appreciate 1
Wills25494.00

      10-12-2019, 09:06 AM   #9
NormanConquest
Colonel
1540
Rep
2,397
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Didn't hear about this but upon a quick glance on the news story if the police are pursuing her over manslaughter then yes she should face a jury. If it for a civil suit then no.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 11:58 AM   #10
Poiseuille
Colonel
Poiseuille's Avatar
United_States
3235
Rep
2,721
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Princeton

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manivxr View Post
Waiving immunity doesn't set any precedence. Previous decisions don't bind the POTUS. It needs to determined on a case by case basis.

The UK is not exactly a rouge state but a very close and special ally.
regarding the final portion of your post: what, exactly, in my post made you feel the need to point that out?

regarding the first part of your post: foolishly, i had assumed that 'precedent' carried the same definition in English as it does in American. please allow me to clarify the translation==>
.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 06:58 PM   #11
Manivxr
Lieutenant
171
Rep
570
Posts

Drives: 435d EB
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Staffordshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
regarding the final portion of your post: what, exactly, in my post made you feel the need to point that out?

regarding the first part of your post: foolishly, i had assumed that 'precedent' carried the same definition in English as it does in American. please allow me to clarify the translation==>
.
I am interested in understanding why you think waiving immunity in this case should not be done. You say it sets a bad precedent. Really. Care to expand why this would be a bad precedent?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 07:12 PM   #12
glennQNYC
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
glennQNYC's Avatar
United_States
5636
Rep
5,055
Posts

Drives: M Sport 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Without evidence of some egregious act, this is a textbook case for NOT waiving diplomatic immunity. Sorry.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 02:54 AM   #13
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
183
Rep
618
Posts

Drives: F32 430d & G31 530d
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Without evidence of some egregious act, this is a textbook case for NOT waiving diplomatic immunity. Sorry.
Hitting a man (19) riding a motorcycle and killing them by driving on the wrong side of the road, then leaving the country suddenly after telling the police she would stay is not considered egregious?
Appreciate 5
vreihen16805.00
AntF32157.50
Wills25494.00
pz6191974.00

      10-13-2019, 03:49 AM   #14
Danlnyc88
Private
46
Rep
77
Posts

Drives: 2020 M4
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (1)

Absolutely.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 05:11 AM   #15
Manivxr
Lieutenant
171
Rep
570
Posts

Drives: 435d EB
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Staffordshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Without evidence of some egregious act, this is a textbook case for NOT waiving diplomatic immunity. Sorry.
You can't be serious.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 08:04 AM   #16
1 AKY
Major
1 AKY's Avatar
United Kingdom
310
Rep
1,207
Posts

Drives: E90 330D MSport Auto
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (1)

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

egregious
/ɪˈɡriːdʒəs/
adjective

1.
outstandingly bad; shocking.....
2.
ARCHAIC
remarkably good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Without evidence of some egregious act, this is a textbook case for NOT waiving diplomatic immunity. Sorry.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were using the second definition....weren't you?

Why do you apologise?
Appreciate 1
Wills25494.00

      10-13-2019, 09:55 AM   #17
glennQNYC
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
glennQNYC's Avatar
United_States
5636
Rep
5,055
Posts

Drives: M Sport 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMcC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Without evidence of some egregious act, this is a textbook case for NOT waiving diplomatic immunity. Sorry.
Hitting a man riding a motorcycle and killing [him] by driving on the wrong side of the road... is not considered egregious?
Accidents happen. Egregious would be if she hit the man on purpose.💡
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 09:56 AM   #18
glennQNYC
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
glennQNYC's Avatar
United_States
5636
Rep
5,055
Posts

Drives: M Sport 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manivxr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Without evidence of some egregious act, this is a textbook case for NOT waiving diplomatic immunity. Sorry.
You can't be serious.
Completely serious.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 10:01 AM   #19
glennQNYC
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
glennQNYC's Avatar
United_States
5636
Rep
5,055
Posts

Drives: M Sport 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 AKY View Post
From the Oxford English Dictionary:

egregious
/ɪˈɡriːdʒəs/
adjective

1.
outstandingly bad; shocking.....
2.
ARCHAIC
remarkably good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Without evidence of some egregious act, this is a textbook case for NOT waiving diplomatic immunity. Sorry.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were using the second definition....weren't you?

Why do you apologise?
Thank you for sharing the definition of egregious. I'm clearly using the first example here.

I simply don't find a car accident "outstandingly bad." Accidents happen. I'm not sure I think even a Brit should be prosecuted in this instance. It sounds like a simple accident. Unless we learn the driver purposefully targeted the motorcyclist this is definitely not a case where diplomatic immunity should be waved.

I apologize because it's an unfortunate incident. Nobody is happy this happened.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #20
glennQNYC
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
glennQNYC's Avatar
United_States
5636
Rep
5,055
Posts

Drives: M Sport 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
Marriage to a diplomat does not immunize her against killing people.
The President needs to convince her to do the right thing, which obviously is return to Britain. Right now.
Waiving Immunity sets a bad precedent and should not be done.
Diplomatic immunity does indeed ensure diplomats aren't prosecuted under the host country's laws. That's simply what diplomatic immunity is. This agreement between nations goes back thousands of years, and is rarely waived. The crime needs to be some intentional act for a waiver to even be considered. This situation doesn't sound intentional. Case closed.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 11:01 AM   #21
AlanQS
Colonel
AlanQS's Avatar
Scotland
131
Rep
2,702
Posts

Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I think what gives this a particularly foul taste in the U.K. is that she bolted for home at the earliest opportunity after saying she would not do so. There is also a suggestion that she did not really have diplomatic immunity in her own right (maybe yes, maybe no).

But what sticks in British craws is that when it comes to sending citizens from one of the 2 countries back to the other country for some sort of investigation, the USA expects the U.K. to do so, but does not reciprocate and though expecting other countries to do so, will not send their own citizens back to a third country.

It's a bit like a British company taking a US company to court in the U.S. The Jury always sides with the US company, no matter how egregious their actions.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 03:57 PM   #22
tcphoto
Major
582
Rep
1,109
Posts

Drives: E92 335i MT Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (0)

She lied to the UK Police when she told them, she wouldn’t leave the UK. She didn’t have or need Diplomatic Immunity because of her work but is married to a US Diplomat. Why didn’t the UK Police take her passport? Now, Trump said that we shouldn’t allow US citizens to be tried in foreign courts? Yet another disgraceful example of Trumps way of doing things.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST