BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 530e iPerformance Reliability?

12-22-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
AtlasCedar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 530e iPerformance

530e iPerformance Reliability?

I recently bought a BMW 530e (G30) and I will be using it for at least 5 years. Have any of you long time owners of this car noticed any problems as of yet? Anything I should worry about? How does the battery hold up? Does it lose retaining power as quickly as, say phone batteries do (after 2 years). My daily commute is quite small , but should I make a point to use the engine everyday? Any other issues and in general how satisfied have you been?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 08:01 PM   #2
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Does it matter at this point? Probably should have looked into this before you bought it.

Long term is up in the air as it’s still a relatively new chassis and power train. But tons of 530e drivers have been experiencing issues with check engine lights and such. Many threads on this forum about that.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 12:19 AM   #3
AtlasCedar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
Does it matter at this point? Probably should have looked into this before you bought it.

Long term is up in the air as it’s still a relatively new chassis and power train. But tons of 530e drivers have been experiencing issues with check engine lights and such. Many threads on this forum about that.
Yes, I read a few and apparently a lot of those were solved with firmware updates and such , does getting the 2019 MY mean it will have less of those issues?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 08:13 AM   #4
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasCedar View Post
Quote:

Long term is up in the air as it's still a relatively new chassis and power train. But tons of 530e drivers have been experiencing issues with check engine lights and such. Many threads on this forum about that.
Yes, I read a few and apparently a lot of those were solved with firmware updates and such , does getting the 2019 MY mean it will have less of those issues?
Don't worry about issues/problems that you will probably never have.

It is good to educate yourself but to obsess over stuff that may or may not happen seems rather like a pointless exercise. This something that will effectively take away the enjoyment of the car.

Enjoy.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      12-23-2018, 08:20 AM   #5
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

The 530e has been in the market for less
Than 2 years. It will take another 3-4 years at the very minimum to see how the powertrain fares.

I think it is a neat car but I opted for the 530i as I am generally not sold on plug in hybrids, and the added weight +complexity of their drivetrains.

Like with any BMW product and if you look for long haul ownership, it is a good idea to invest in a BMW extended warranty. I have had them in the past and they are great. Given the complexity of the 530e, it is a car that I would personally hesitate to own outside of warranty coverage.

I see plug in hybrids as a stop gap until BMW delivers their lineup of long promised fully electric vehicles come due in the 2020s decade. I prefer either fully electric or fully ICE both not both.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13103.00
      12-23-2018, 12:33 PM   #6
AtlasCedar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Long term is up in the air as it's still a relatively new chassis and power train. But tons of 530e drivers have been experiencing issues with check engine lights and such. Many threads on this forum about that.
Don't worry about issues/problems that you will probably never have.

It is good to educate yourself but to obsess over stuff that may or may not happen seems rather like a pointless exercise. This something that will effectively take away the enjoyment of the car.

Enjoy.
Thank You, yes very true , can't wait till it gets delivered mid January !
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 12:34 PM   #7
AtlasCedar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Than 2 years. It will take another 3-4 years at the very minimum to see how the powertrain fares.

I think it is a neat car but I opted for the 530i as I am generally not sold on plug in hybrids, and the added weight +complexity of their drivetrains.

Like with any BMW product and if you look for long haul ownership, it is a good idea to invest in a BMW extended warranty. I have had them in the past and they are great. Given the complexity of the 530e, it is a car that I would personally hesitate to own outside of warranty coverage.

I see plug in hybrids as a stop gap until BMW delivers their lineup of long promised fully electric vehicles come due in the 2020s decade. I prefer either fully electric or fully ICE both not both.
Yes will definitely look into that extended warranty, how many years/mileage does it cover?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 01:58 PM   #8
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Yes will definitely look into that extended warranty, how many years/mileage does it cover?
Extended warranties are market specific.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 10:27 AM   #9
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
I had a 330e and it had constant CELs...all related to the battery system.

Now I have a 530e. It just had its one year maintenance. No CELs the entire first year. Rock solid.

The dealership did do a software update which cancelled all my codings. So I am being recoded later this week.

Like anything else, some vehicles are rock solid and some seem to have problems. But I think if it is solid early, it will probably remain solid.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 12:57 PM   #10
CBW1250
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 Bmw 530e

Quote:
I recently bought a BMW 530e (G30) and I will be using it for at least 5 years. Have any of you long time owners of this car noticed any problems as of yet? Anything I should worry about? How does the battery hold up? Does it lose retaining power as quickly as, say phone batteries do (after 2 years). My daily commute is quite small , but should I make a point to use the engine everyday? Any other issues and in general how satisfied have you been?
Hi. I too am interested in purchasing a 2017 bmw 530e. I just wanted to know what your experience with he vehicle was. things such as true fuel efficiency, charging costs, any problems that I should look out for and anything else you think I must know before buying this car. FYI I'm from sri lanka too.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 03:49 PM   #11
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I have had mine for almost three years (2018 530e built in November of 2017 and delivered to me late December 2017). I have had only minor issues (the latch on the storage compartment below the light switch failed and during routine maintenance the dealership replaced the drawer with a new one).

The car has been rock solid. My problems have not been BMW fault (someone hit me and put dents in both passenger side doors when I was parked and left wtihout a note) and a tire with a nail in it.

But having my car at the collision center demonstrated to me how nice my BMW is. I got a Mustang convertible as a rental. The engine was harsh. I was listening to a "Talking Cars" broadcast this morning and they were reviewing a hybrid from Toyota and commented on how noisy the ICE was once it cut in. On my 530e I often don't even realize that my ICE cut in it is so seamless and smooth.

There are a lot of things to potentially go wrong. You have a normal ICE and an electric motor and a bunch of batteries. I have the BMW OEM warranty for four years and the GEICO mechanical breakdown insurance to cover the three years after that. I currently plan to keep my car for those seven years although I would be sorely tempted to trade up if BMWNA brought the 545e to the States. But with the OEM warranty and GEICO, I don't worry about expensive things going wrong.
Appreciate 2
ted99242.00