BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Coding Active Driving Asst?

11-28-2020, 01:33 PM   #23
wigglebutts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBV1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigglebutts View Post
You should by a Tesla and a pillow so you can take a nap while driving.
What a stupid, ignorant comment. Please if people don’t agree with the above then move. Why the world has so much hate with it. And by the way I love the Tesla Model S and probably will be my next car.

Having not time out for 30 seconds does not allow for a nap and what is the point of even having the system if it can not do self driving for a while longer. Obviously, people don’t take many trips or long drives don’t realize the benefit of these systems.

I routinely drive about 18,000 miles to 20k miles a year and they are great. Just asking for a little longer.

Again, anyone who disagrees, then should not be posting idiotic responses and like my Mom always said, better not say anything at all!
My light hearted sarcasm may have been missed on this, did not mean to "come at you".

I have this feature in my current vehicle and can agree the interval between touch-no touch, is too quick. I do not have my BMW yet, but did opt for the driving assistant + package. I do most city/interstate driving so I rarely get the chance to activate these system for a long time.

We do long road trips, where they come in handy for sure.

Again, didn't mean to come off as rude. Just a light jab. I wouldn't mind the new Tesla Plaid, or whatever it is. Absolutely nuts.
      11-29-2020, 01:50 AM   #24
Symo
Where is the Earth Shattering Ka Boom?
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30 540i Mediterranean Blue

Me too please. Even if we can just extend the 5 or so seconds between the car stopping and moving off again in stop and go traffic. I know it's such a small thing to complain about but freeway traffic in Melbourne (Australia) seems to move off about 2 seconds too late for the car to move off by itself. 30 seconds would absolutely delight me.

Also, speaking of safety I wonder why BMW would rather let the car crash to the side of the road (or into other traffic) rather than bring the car to a controlled stop ( and possibly put the hazard lights on) if you refuse to touch the steering wheel after it disengages. I have tested my car ( safely on empty freeway) to see what it would do. It disengaged and drifted off to the side of the road and almost into the barrier before I called it and grabbed the wheel.

If you have a stroke or some other condition anything the autonomous systems could do to bring the car to a safe stop is better than stinging into a tree at 120.

Just sayin. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 04:59 AM   #25
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Coding hands free on pre-LCI G30 is incredibly dangerous, as the system just isnt fit for that purpose.

As I understand it the LCI should have an option for eTJA (assisted driving plus), which would allow indefinite hands free up to 40mph on highways. The normal assisted driving is also more tolerant on all roads allowing hands free at low speeds indefinitely, and a nag at around the 30 -40 second mark depending on the circumstances at higher speeds.

Assuming the LCI G30 has the emergency halt assistant, like on the other idrive 7 (full) vehicles, then that can bring the car to a stop if the driver becomes unresponsive. In some regions, or with coding, it can also move the car to the hard-shoulder and call the emergency services.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 07:43 PM   #26
oilandgas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550, 2018 DB11

Who drives 40 mph on highways? That sounds more dangerous than napping w/ My Pillow in a Tesla on Autopilot.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 03:10 PM   #27
The Zimmer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G31 Touring

Hi

Does anyone know the part number for the BMW FSC code for LDW ( Lane Departure Warning )

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 05:57 AM   #28
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilandgas View Post
Who drives 40 mph on highways? That sounds more dangerous than napping w/ My Pillow in a Tesla on Autopilot.
it was designed to assist in heavy traffic situations, not highway cruising.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 06:37 AM   #29
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I think the traffic jam assist part of the system is actually the best part( not sure if the LCI is improved in any way over the pre LCI)

The alert to put your hands back on the wheel can be quite a long time on occasions.
It works superbly on motorways and on local roads where there are no lane markings it locks onto the car in front.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 10:40 AM   #30
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I think the traffic jam assist part of the system is actually the best part( not sure if the LCI is improved in any way over the pre LCI)

The alert to put your hands back on the wheel can be quite a long time on occasions.
It works superbly on motorways and on local roads where there are no lane markings it locks onto the car in front.
If the LCI is the same as the other ID7 systems, like on the G05, then it allows indefinite hands-free.

Not in the EU though, we can't be trusted. Maybe brexit will bring a change there....
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 12:02 PM   #31
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I have my doubts , I thought the U.K. will simply copy any eu rules

This is why I think in the U.K. we will also get the proposed mandatory speed limiters on cars in a couple of years.

(How manufacturer like Aston, ferrari etc will sell when that happens , who knows)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 04:08 PM   #32
oilandgas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550, 2018 DB11

How do you code for indefinite hands-free? As it stands now, I have the touch the wheel every 20 seconds
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 11:25 AM   #33
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5d 2021 Tesla S

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilandgas View Post
How do you code for indefinite hands-free? As it stands now, I have the touch the wheel every 20 seconds
That is impressive then. In my 2021, I have to touch the wheel every 7 seconds and then it starts blinking. Wish it was 20 seconds.
Appreciate 0