BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications BMW M550 Carbahn dyno results

07-15-2023, 08:30 AM   #23
Drifttime85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Has anyone tried this for throttle response ?

https://www.dinancars.com/products/s...arts/D440-1700

I’ve used throttle controllers on other cars and they usually came with different modes for different driving settings.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 09:29 AM   #24
M5pnw
HK #1
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i xDrive

Garage List
Trying to decide which tune to do

I have My remus catback on the way. Once that's installed Im gonna either do a tune or piggyback. I really like the carbahn and i want a freeway missile, but a little more power downlow would be nice too lol. All i know is i want a safe reliable tune. I talked with Alapoint about how BM3 doesn't show if codes pop up on the dash and that it just overwrites them or whatever. not a fan of that.

Maybe Dinantronics or JB4 is the way to go. but man the carbahn is tempting.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 10:00 AM   #25
alapoint
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifttime85 View Post

I’ve used throttle controllers on other cars and they usually came with different modes for different driving settings.
Havent tried it but you have my interest…
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 10:07 AM   #26
alapoint
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5pnw View Post
I have My remus catback on the way. Once that's installed Im gonna either do a tune or piggyback. I really like the carbahn and i want a freeway missile, but a little more power downlow would be nice too lol. All i know is i want a safe reliable tune. I talked with Alapoint about how BM3 doesn't show if codes pop up on the dash and that it just overwrites them or whatever. not a fan of that.

Maybe Dinantronics or JB4 is the way to go. but man the carbahn is tempting.
JB4 will give you more adjustability and ability to adjust to fuels on the fly. Its an awesome device for sure. Just gotta zip tie the bastard down tight in the engine compartment. Dont believe the “remove without a trace” bullshit. These engines record any perimeter outside of stock so even if you remove it and bring it to the dealership, they will know.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 10:11 AM   #27
M5pnw
HK #1
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alapoint View Post
JB4 will give you more adjustability and ability to adjust to fuels on the fly. Its an awesome device for sure. Just gotta zip tie the bastard down tight in the engine compartment. Dont believe the “remove without a trace” bullshit. These engines record any perimeter outside of stock so even if you remove it and bring it to the dealership, they will know.
I got a year left on my cpo warranty but I’ve settled with the fact that they will know tune or piggyback. I treat my cars very well. I just want extra power there if needed. Tough to decide. I see benefits for all the options
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 10:17 AM   #28
alapoint
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5pnw View Post
I got a year left on my cpo warranty but I’ve settled with the fact that they will know tune or piggyback. I treat my cars very well. I just want extra power there if needed. Tough to decide. I see benefits for all the options
The downside to the carbahn is you cant sell it later. JB4 obviously you can. I think a jb4 would detract from value as its seen as a modified car now. Interestingly, since carbahn tunes are a dealership item, maybe itll add slight value to the car so itll help the trade in with the dealership. With the cpo warranty, the carbahn warranty might be worthless. The carbahn warranty might only extend to the original factory warranty. Maybe not?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 07:28 AM   #29
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifttime85 View Post

Not available for the G30.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2023, 10:48 AM   #30
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
2020 m550 with Carbahn tune flashed at bmw. Has CTS intakes and Remus midpipe, both i highly recommend for the sound love love love it, great combo but probably like 10 horsepower combined and probably not in any spot that adds value lol.

Done at ACI Dynamix in Shelton, Ct. About 85 degrees and 85% humidity. Not ideal by a long shot. Aci runs a mustang dyno. These run lower numbers than the other types of dynos. But in the end, numbers are just for a rough idea of power since different dyno’s and fuckery with calibration make them a tad arbitrary . Ideally, draggy times are more accurate.

Low was 576 tq and 572 hp to the wheels with high of 608tq and 602hp. So rough 590 avg to the wheels on a nasty hot day and on a mustang dyno. Carbahn quoted 580 to the wheels. Looks like they were not lying!!! So needless to say, i recommend this safe tune for anyone looking for crazy power gains.

Do you have any draggy times yet? I'm still torn btwn RK, carbahn, BM3, and Active autowerke. They're all closely priced but it seems the powerbands for each differs.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 08:38 AM   #31
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Havent tried it but you have my interest…
Any times to post?

I was talking with the carbahn team and their tune does not work with xhp, at least not fully. Their tune controls tq levels so if xhp is in place, then their attempt to have a smooth torque curve goes out the window.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 10:15 AM   #32
alapoint
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasky_spas View Post
Any times to post?

I was talking with the carbahn team and their tune does not work with xhp, at least not fully. Their tune controls tq levels so if xhp is in place, then their attempt to have a smooth torque curve goes out the window.
Makes sense. They limit torque to protect your car. Trans tune removes those limits. My only thought was that carbahn limites torque from the engine i thought from a dme tune. XHP limits torque supplied to the trans and adds clamping pressures. Guess what im saying is i would think its two different supply sources. Ones torque from the engine dme and one from throttle but guess not.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 12:17 PM   #33
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Makes sense. They limit torque to protect your car. Trans tune removes those limits. My only thought was that carbahn limites torque from the engine i thought from a dme tune. XHP limits torque supplied to the trans and adds clamping pressures. Guess what im saying is i would think its two different supply sources. Ones torque from the engine dme and one from throttle but guess not.
Correct. Tq can be limited from the dme or tcu. Cb limits from the dme so with xhp the tq limits are way above the oem 760nm levels which would permit higher tq values earlier in the Rev range and according to their tuner, causes some heat spikes in the engine. Not sure how they're documenting that given they don't have readily avail dyno graphs to share.

I'm almost leaning towards RK since they dyno tune everything they do in house and are able to work with xhp.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 08:56 AM   #34
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Under 80, its very safe. You have to hit the button under the pedal to get it to move its ass in a hurry. Having said that, i wanna pass someone, its a foot flex and its 105 mph passing them on a back road. But you do have to ring its neck a little to get it to respond. Its almost “too safe”. I wonder if a trans tune will help by removing some of the torque limits. But…im never short on power ever lol
Apparently you need to keep tq levels stock otherwise the tune will get messed up. Carbahn said this is so many words. There will be spikes in tq and excessive heat. So I'm assuming hp can still ve better realized with xhp ( which I have and rec) but tq will be limited.

Also they don't account for exhaust/dp mods in their tune nor do they really draggy or even really do dynos often from what I can tell after speaking with that group. Your numbers look great though but it's the only one available on the forum for the 550/850. RK tunes says they can do better but I'm unsure about those guys.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 09:14 AM   #35
alapoint
Private
Rep

Quote:
Apparently you need to keep tq levels stock otherwise the tune will get messed up. Carbahn said this is so many words. There will be spikes in tq and excessive heat. So I'm assuming hp can still ve better realized with xhp ( which I have and rec) but tq will be limited.

Also they don't account for exhaust/dp mods in their tune nor do they really draggy or even really do dynos often from what I can tell after speaking with that group. Your numbers look great though but it's the only one available on the forum for the 550/850. RK tunes says they can do better but I'm unsure about those guys.
Makes sense. Ill take safer or more torque. Something my old BM3 didnt care about. Sooooo much down low torque. Somewhere on here i saw a newer m550 and i think the guy blew a piston and that was a bm3 tune. Who knows if theres a link between the two but id rather not be one of the guys who find out. Theres always more power to gain, but to what compromise. Jordan at RK Tunes knows his shit and he keeps a close eye on timing but it does seem hes pushing the envelope more. Youre aslo right, i hate how carbahn doesnt have stage 2 tunes. I talked with them about it, they said they can adjust for a downpipe but not sure if its tuned for a downpipe if that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 12:59 PM   #36
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

I talk directly with their tuner so that's pretty awesome the guy was willing to give his time to just someone shopping. He's definitely passionate about the software and tuning but I'm not sure how their tuning is done if they're not using a dyno to fine tune things. He mentioned that they account for a dp by only disabling the post cat 02 sensor- that's it. The maintain the oem lambda curve until higher rpm.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 01:01 PM   #37
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

So it just seems they probably don't touch much. The more I stick to logic, I feel they're just turning up boost and then reducing torque parameters in the dme to make the power curve more linear. Adjusting tq parameters in xhp takes 20 seconds so if I'm right, it's a balls basic tune. Just a guess though.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 07:00 PM   #38
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not the throttle reaponse, but allowing more horsepower to come through instead of cutting some out to safe guard the trans and the engine. The trans tune cuts out the torque limits but not sure if that helps cause the tune itself also does.

I wanna know how the xhp is on the downshifts are. I hate the stock downshifts. Such a half ass throttle blip. Its more of a clutch slip. I want a hard throttle blip that sounds awesome and matches revs.
Did you add xhp? I spoke at length with Carbahn and they don't support xhp. They highly recommend to set tq limits per gear back to oem to maintain the tq they designed.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 04:37 PM   #39
choppedliver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550ix Pure

I’m sure you can use XHP and just tweak the torque limits in each gear. It’s time consuming but it’s doable.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 05:09 PM   #40
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
I’m sure you can use XHP and just tweak the torque limits in each gear. It’s time consuming but it’s doable.
Well you would need a dyno to see where the torque curve goes. CB was saying without tq limits in place, the tq will spike in lower ranges. They didn't specifically say from what but the concern was temps, so imagine timing will be way off. Not worth the risk to run the tune with xhp imo.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 10:02 PM   #41
choppedliver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well you would need a dyno to see where the torque curve goes. CB was saying without tq limits in place, the tq will spike in lower ranges. They didn't specifically say from what but the concern was temps, so imagine timing will be way off. Not worth the risk to run the tune with xhp imo.
Fair enough. Probably reason enough to use bm3 over carbahn.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 11:22 PM   #42
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
Fair enough. Probably reason enough to use bm3 over carbahn.
One of the forums also showed issues with bm3 and xhp. Not sure which engine but there also wasn't a match between the tunes. Easiest fix is to set the tq levels to oem per gear but that's no fun...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 01:48 AM   #43
choppedliver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
One of the forums also showed issues with bm3 and xhp. Not sure which engine but there also wasn't a match between the tunes. Easiest fix is to set the tq levels to oem per gear but that's no fun...
I've not played enough to see if there are issues with my BM3 OTS as it's been in a week. I figure the dyno graph would be similar to the carbahn one. At more than say 40% throttle it will bring in all the torque from around 2000rpm which looks like the carbahn dyno graph.

Assuming the tunes are similar I don't understand the concerns around temps. if you were on a racetrack I get it, but giving it some throttle on the streets or even on a drag strip doesn't make me think the temps are going through the roof.

I do know that lots of low down torque (more than the BM3 and Carbahn tunes) at low revs (less than say 4500rpm) will bend rods, but if I recall the video with Steve Dinan (?) the safe limit is 800Lb-Ft at the crank so we are both well off from that.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 12:13 PM   #44
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

Op, what figures does your hp/tq max show on your dashboard gauge?
Appreciate 0