BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications Uh? XHP 20 M550 trans tune- AVAILABLE

04-12-2023, 06:08 AM   #67
Boosted_8
Captain
Rep
Drives: M550i

Sorry a bit late to the party. Seems like we are working yes?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 07:33 AM   #68
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted_8 View Post
Sorry a bit late to the party. Seems like we are working yes?
Yes! I've been running xHP Stage 2 since Friday.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 10:43 AM   #69
Manley00
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550

Finally!! 2 weeks after purchase! Got the xHP installed and driven the correct miles.

I’m a nut- so I flashed stage 3 of the bat and turned on the blip to 5%. In comfort and eco mode the shifts are seemless- more so than stock. Almost non existent. Only way you can tell is from having the indicator now that tells you the gear you’re in. It does feel as though throttle response is a greater here. I’m that 3rd gear specifically pulls harder with less effort. Otherwise very close to stock.

Sport+ with the shifter in sport…. WHOA! The shifts are perfect and as instant as it shifts. Power feels much more linear between gears. I had to make a U-turn with traction off. Throttle to the floor. Car kicked out like always- held it and the shift two second felt perfect. Rpm’s stayed up and continued to have some traction issues. At this point I was doing 55 and had to slow down for my turn off.

The car FEELS WAY faster! It seems to be allowing more power through the trans. This is all seat of the pants. I’m pretty familiar with the car at this point. 0-60 comes on FAST! I’d have to imagine it’s sub 3 seconds. I do have a JB4 on map 1 with some maddative in the tank.

I need to go in and adjust some settings to optimize my driving style and honestly just see the outcome.

The customizations are fantastic- that’s where time is made up I believe.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2023, 06:00 PM   #70
Duta569
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manley00 View Post
Finally!! 2 weeks after purchase! Got the xHP installed and driven the correct miles.

I’m a nut- so I flashed stage 3 of the bat and turned on the blip to 5%. In comfort and eco mode the shifts are seemless- more so than stock. Almost non existent. Only way you can tell is from having the indicator now that tells you the gear you’re in. It does feel as though throttle response is a greater here. I’m that 3rd gear specifically pulls harder with less effort. Otherwise very close to stock.

Sport+ with the shifter in sport…. WHOA! The shifts are perfect and as instant as it shifts. Power feels much more linear between gears. I had to make a U-turn with traction off. Throttle to the floor. Car kicked out like always- held it and the shift two second felt perfect. Rpm’s stayed up and continued to have some traction issues. At this point I was doing 55 and had to slow down for my turn off.

The car FEELS WAY faster! It seems to be allowing more power through the trans. This is all seat of the pants. I’m pretty familiar with the car at this point. 0-60 comes on FAST! I’d have to imagine it’s sub 3 seconds. I do have a JB4 on map 1 with some maddative in the tank.

I need to go in and adjust some settings to optimize my driving style and honestly just see the outcome.

The customizations are fantastic- that’s where time is made up I believe.
Good write up. I finally got mine flashed a couple hours ago, so I need to put roughly 50 miles on the car and then I can see what we got.

The flash was a very frustrating part for me, because I had a free mhd adapter to use to do the unlock, but it had no internet access. So I assume something was wrong with it and bought the xhp Wi-Fi adapter. Same issue, no internet access.

The problem for me was the instructions from xhp. Everything I had to do to make it work was contradictory to what they had listed for Android.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2023, 07:36 PM   #71
Manley00
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duta569 View Post
Good write up. I finally got mine flashed a couple hours ago, so I need to put roughly 50 miles on the car and then I can see what we got.

The flash was a very frustrating part for me, because I had a free mhd adapter to use to do the unlock, but it had no internet access. So I assume something was wrong with it and bought the xhp Wi-Fi adapter. Same issue, no internet access.

The problem for me was the instructions from xhp. Everything I had to do to make it work was contradictory to what they had listed for Android.
You did get it to work though!? Mine did have issues many times! Same as yours (no internet). Mine ONLY would work after I placed it in airplane mode. It was like the phone was not understanding the correct connection to use.

After your 50 miles- it will be worth the frustration. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 11:31 PM   #72
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep

Connect your phone to the internet, download the tune(s) you want to your phone, then put it in Airplane Mode, enable Wi-Fi, connect to your Wi-Fi adapter, and flash. I'm glad you were both able to make it work and I'm looking forward to more feedback! Stage 3 sounds pretty exciting. I'm still on Stage 2 and learning how to use it. I hope to get the Dragy out in the next few weeks for some runs but some unplanned home repair projects are getting in the way.

FWIW I logged about 300 highway miles today and got 28.5 mpg in Eco Pro. That's as good as or maybe slightly better than stock for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 10:31 AM   #73
Duta569
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WretchedRefuse View Post
Connect your phone to the internet, download the tune(s) you want to your phone, then put it in Airplane Mode, enable Wi-Fi, connect to your Wi-Fi adapter, and flash. I'm glad you were both able to make it work and I'm looking forward to more feedback! Stage 3 sounds pretty exciting. I'm still on Stage 2 and learning how to use it. I hope to get the Dragy out in the next few weeks for some runs but some unplanned home repair projects are getting in the way.

FWIW I logged about 300 highway miles today and got 28.5 mpg in Eco Pro. That's as good as or maybe slightly better than stock for me.
I had the license key already on my phone ready to go. The problem I had with my Google Android phone, I have to turn off cell service in order for my phone to find the adapter. Once it found the adapter, I had to go back and turn the cell service on to give the adapter internet access.

Nowhere on xhp site does it have any explanation of this for Android.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 08:16 PM   #74
choppedliver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550ix Pure

I've been doing some reading and it looks like XHP is undetectable by the dealer?

I'm thinking it doing it on my stock 2020 to see how much difference it makes. The dealer not detecting it is a bonus.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 09:38 PM   #75
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep

Good point, although if they update your I-Step someday you will need to re-flash xHP. Even on a stock tune I definitely recommend it. Just curious, are you waiting for your warranty to expire before trying an engine tune?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 09:44 PM   #76
choppedliver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Good point, although if they update your I-Step someday you will need to re-flash xHP. Even on a stock tune I definitely recommend it. Just curious, are you waiting for your warranty to expire before trying an engine tune?
Great. Will get it done.

My warranty is up 29th November this year and then it's tune time. xHP gives me some improvement for next to nothing for the time being. I'll take it to the track and see what it can do.

Tune wise I'm torn about doing catless downpipes so might just OTS, rather than custom tune and waste money and dyno time. I will then either do full catless, secondary only and then custom tune.

If xHP and OTS BM3 can get me a 10.6 as I said before that will be a great result.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 10:12 AM   #77
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep

From what I've seen, downpipes don't buy you much in the horsepower department. They will reduce turbo lag, improve the sound, and allow you to flash a Stage 2 tune which by itself doesn't offer much improvement over Stage 1. I like the idea of a custom tune but am having trouble finding somebody who specializes in the N63 engine. Another option is to see if PTF ever releases a Gen 2 tune for our engine with an ethanol sensor. I've heard that we can run up to E30 on the stock fuel system.

Having said that, for myself I'd love to see 3.1 0-60 and high 10's in the 1/4 mile on 93 octane. Just coincidentally of course, that's what the M5 Comp does from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 07:00 PM   #78
choppedliver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
From what I've seen, downpipes don't buy you much in the horsepower department.
Looking at the M5 forums it's a mixed bag. Secondaries seem to be the easiest, cheapest and give some benefit.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 11:56 PM   #79
Kriz2fer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m550

With just adding catless down pipes my 0-60 went from 3.7 to 3.5
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 12:22 AM   #80
choppedliver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriz2fer View Post
With just adding catless down pipes my 0-60 went from 3.7 to 3.5
Stock tune?

I see Boosted8 said he dropped from 0.2 off his 1/4 mile time with just secondary cat delete.

Thinking now I might do secondary cat and xHP as soon as my final "free" service is done in June.

Not super expensive and will give me a good incremental improvement to test at the drag strip with the hope of dropping from 11.6@120 to 11 flat.

Logic is that the car did its slowest 0-100 times by 0.2 at the strip as it bogs briefly after launching due to the sticky surface. If I can walk it off the line without bogging, better DA as it will be winter, coupled with some faster spooling from no secondary cats and goodness is stage 3 xHP then shaving off 0.6 is not impossible. Unlikely but possible.

Also the "boss" won't even know it's been done!

Last edited by choppedliver; 04-20-2023 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 11:14 PM   #81
choppedliver
Captain
Rep

Well, colour me confused!

Took the car to the local exhaust shop and my car doesn't have secondary cats!. Where they would be is a big fat pipe.

I don't know if this because it's an Australian model or because it's pre-LCI 2020 and hence there changes on the LCI cars.

It saves some cutting but also means any secondary cat delete benefit won't be realised.

I do know some Australian cars that the press test were doing 0-100 in 3.6 seconds which is about 3.5 0-60 or a smidge better. That could be down to no secondary cats.

xHP it is.

Last edited by choppedliver; 04-20-2023 at 11:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 02:40 PM   #82
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep

Honestly, I was confused too. I'm not aware of these cars ever having secondary cats. Maybe in some other markets, but certainly not in the USA. I don't know for sure but I suspect that most "high flow" catted DP's are essentially the first half of the stock cat, which is why they still throw a CEL.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 08:33 PM   #83
choppedliver
Captain
Rep

Thor adaptor ordered. Here next week and then xHP.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 06:55 AM   #84
Manley00
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
Thor adaptor ordered. Here next week and then xHP.
Fantastic! Looking forward to hearing your feedback! Looking forward to getting mine back from BMW. Didn’t get a whole lot of time to mess with xHP before my injectors started acting crazy. Also not sure if they were working properly when it was not displaying symptoms.

I can say though- the few WOT I did do, it is a rocket ship. Lol
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 08:43 AM   #85
jason526
Enlisted Member
Rep

Has anyone dialed in the XHP and ran times to see what the real improvements are?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 05:53 PM   #86
choppedliver
Captain
Rep

My Thor adaptor arrives today. Will be installing and testing this week/weekend I hope.

Car is stock so hoping the stock stage 2 and 3 work as expected.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 09:55 AM   #87
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
My Thor adaptor arrives today. Will be installing and testing this week/weekend I hope.

Car is stock so hoping the stock stage 2 and 3 work as expected.
Let us know how it goes!

I will post Dragy results as soon as I'm able to launch the car. Unfortunately the weather here is too cold to get much traction from my PS4S, and will remain so through next week at least.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 08:03 PM   #88
choppedliver
Captain
Rep

Stage 2 flashed.

Now to do the 50 miles for adaption and test. Going to rain all weekend so may not get a chance.
Appreciate 1