BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications 2020 up bm3 tune only

10-03-2023, 01:13 PM   #23
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

choppedliver Your times look similar to mine. I recently did three 0-60 pulls with BM3 Stage 1 and xHP Stage 2 in warm weather (about 30 degrees C), trying both launch control and DSC off. Every time I got exactly 3.5 and as before, great launch, no wheel spin, then bog, then great shifts to second and third gears.

I'll try again in cooler weather sometime.

Did you say you tried xHP Drag Race Mode? If so, did it make a difference?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 06:30 PM   #24
choppedliver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550ix Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by WretchedRefuse View Post
choppedliver Your times look similar to mine. I recently did three 0-60 pulls with BM3 Stage 1 and xHP Stage 2 in warm weather (about 30 degrees C), trying both launch control and DSC off. Every time I got exactly 3.5 and as before, great launch, no wheel spin, then bog, then great shifts to second and third gears.

I'll try again in cooler weather sometime.

Did you say you tried xHP Drag Race Mode? If so, did it make a difference?
Interesting.

The launch, spin, bog, go is what I had for the majority of stock launches.

Drag mode removes all torque limiters and unleashed all the torque and the front wheels spun through first and into second on the strip.

My one and only launch with BM3/xHP Stage 3 netted 3.45 0-100. It was hot, launch control didn't engage and the car spun the fronts through most of first gear. No bogging which happened all the time when stock. I've pulled back torque in 1st to 750Nm from 840Nm in xHP to counter the spin.

i don't know why you are still bogging. Which is weird.

I was hoping to get to the strip tonight and test some more.

Also added 80-120 in dragy as a good measure of acceleration which car testers use and I can do that in a lot of places.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 03:42 PM   #25
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
Interesting. ... i don't know why you are still bogging. Which is weird. ...
This seems to be an issue between BM3 and xHP. They are obviously not optimized to work with one another, at least not on the N63. According to PTF marketing, our BM3 Stage 1 M550 should have about the same power as the M5 Comp, yet the M5 Comp consistently does 3.1 or even better 0-60 while we struggle to hit 3.3-3.4. The difference is that everything in the M5 Comp is engineered by the factory to work perfectly together. I'm not aware of any such holistic aftermarket packages available for our N63.

Ultimately, the N63 just isn't a popular platform to tune. For me it's a waiting game, seeing if PTF or xHP release updates. Or maybe MHD, Dinan, RK, Carbahn, etc. will partner with xHP to release an optimized N63 tune someday. Until then, a B58 can easily outperform an N63 with a few widely available bolt-ons and engine/trans tunes.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 08:05 PM   #26
choppedliver
Captain
Rep

I suspect it’s the final drive ratio. That rat hole we went down some time back.

The m5 has about a 12% higher final drive and bigger tyres. Also true for the M3, though it is a touch lighter than the 5s.

That said the higher final drive gives more torque in each gear and my testing is that my car spins and not bogging so lack of torque is not an issue.

I didn’t get to the strip as a truck shattered my windscreen so it’s a few weeks away.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 09:43 PM   #27
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
I suspect it’s the final drive ratio. That rat hole we went down some time back. ...
I didn’t get to the strip as a truck shattered my windscreen so it’s a few weeks away.
Yep, final drive ratio and wheel/tire size are certainly things that the factory can "tune" as part of the overall package. So sorry to hear about your windscreen! (We call them "windshields" here.) I know that they are very tricky to replace properly on our cars so hopefully you have a good shop doing the work.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 05:43 PM   #28
choppedliver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WretchedRefuse View Post
So sorry to hear about your windscreen! (We call them "windshields" here.) I know that they are very tricky to replace properly on our cars so hopefully you have a good shop doing the work.
Thanks and noted on the name. I think shield makes more sense as it did shield me from stones.

It's all via insurance and there is really only a few good chains around They did the wifes Macan years ago without issue and need my car for 3 hours to do the swap and recalibrate safety systems. I'm not sure what systems but it indicates to me that they may know what they are doing.

Worse case insurance can do it again until its right.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 02:43 PM   #29
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtexasdog View Post
I ordered the M-Link and I want to do a flash tune with it but it looks like bm3 is the only option.
Thanks
M-Link is a simple bench unlock and is flash platform independent, while my go to is a Mission flash I tried MHD just to see if it would work and it did (and then reverted back to my Mission)

M-Link is just a replacement for a mail in or drive-to bench unlock works like a treat

https://missiontuning.com/m-link-5/m-link.html
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 09:05 PM   #30
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Did the bm3 require a bench unlock to get it to work?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 09:53 AM   #31
jason526
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasky_spas View Post
Did the bm3 require a bench unlock to get it to work?
yes, there are 2 DMEs that need to be unlocked
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 01:13 PM   #32
oldtexasdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550I X Drive

Has any one with a 2020 and up M550 and a BM3 tune had the opportunity to do some Dyno runs and would like to share their numbers? I know what BM3 says but empirical evidence always speaks the loudest.
Appreciate 0