BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications mhd without needing xhp?

10-22-2023, 11:09 AM   #1
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

mhd without needing xhp?

Do I NEED xhp to run a mhd tune on this platform? For the moment I only want to flash stage 1 as the car is stock. My last xhp car had transmission failure, so I’d rather take it easy on this car if possible, plus I’m pretty happy with the transmission from the factory (for now). Do you need the xhp stage 1 flashed on the car, or not until higher power applications like a turbo upgrade etc?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 08:52 AM   #2
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
Do I NEED xhp to run a mhd tune on this platform? For the moment I only want to flash stage 1 as the car is stock. My last xhp car had transmission failure, so I’d rather take it easy on this car if possible, plus I’m pretty happy with the transmission from the factory (for now). Do you need the xhp stage 1 flashed on the car, or not until higher power applications like a turbo upgrade etc?
I don't have a response to your question but curious to know if the transmission failure was attributed to having xhp. In my eyes, xhp is helpful in that the clutch gets less heat that comes from smooth shifts. I suppose the trade off is shock from those hard shifts under wot.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 10:27 AM   #3
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
You shouldn't need xHP unless MHD says you do. I have run BM3 without xHP with no problems.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 11:06 AM   #4
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 540ix

i think when you get to the torque levels at stage 2 and above you used to need xhp to increase torque limiters, but i think MHD now has that option built into the options list
      10-23-2023, 12:29 PM   #5
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasky_spas View Post
I don't have a response to your question but curious to know if the transmission failure was attributed to having xhp. In my eyes, xhp is helpful in that the clutch gets less heat that comes from smooth shifts. I suppose the trade off is shock from those hard shifts under wot.
The amount of digs and high RPM shifts I did were likely the main cause, but I'm sure that shifting faster and with more pressure etc did hurt that N55 transmission more than if I beat on it while it was stock.

Same thing here I have to assume XHP wears the trans faster, even though they say it doesn't. I will run it when I have to but I'd prefer to go easy on the trans since it is already so fast in its stock form (compared to 6HP).
Appreciate 0