BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications NEW RELEASE: Dinan N63TU3 Performance Engine Software (20MY ONLY)

10-30-2023, 07:34 AM   #23
Drifttime85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Just for my clarification for the warranty:

Features/Benefits (Dinan +):

Limited to a single calibration (91).

If I get configured for 93 maps does it mean the warranty for the Dinan+ will not cover ?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 10:36 AM   #24
jason526
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Understood on the alternatives. Alternative delivery system is being worked on/addressed but ultimately the solution is tied to the larger problem with 2021+ vehicles so its been a slow go to put it mildly. The calibration for the 2020 was done though and had an option to release (bench flash) so we decided to throw it out there knowing full well it would be an uphill climb for any meaningful adoption. More of a carrot to let folks know we are working on the stuff and what we can deliver is competitive.

Tis my understanding that remote start was not an option with the 20MY. Neither of our development cars had the option though so nothing has been tested specifically on the M550i. That said, if the option does exist it more then likely can be retained using the same process/patch for keeping remote start we utilize on other G chassis vehicle flashes.
Why not release this tune via BM3? If you sold it as an optional base map for those looking for an option to the BM3 Stage 1 93 I think you would sell it like hot cakes. Right now it costs about $400 to get these cars unlocked so if you could offer the tune only without the unlock service for less than $400 it would sell and you'd get more money on volume. This would also keep you under the price of a remote custom tune so it is competitive.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 12:43 PM   #25
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifttime85 View Post
Just for my clarification for the warranty:

Features/Benefits (Dinan +):

Limited to a single calibration (91).

If I get configured for 93 maps does it mean the warranty for the Dinan+ will not cover ?
Missed this somehow.

If you get a 93 map you are getting Stage 1 and not Dinan+. Dinan+ (Warrantied flash) only comes with the 91 octane mapping. You can use 93 octane (or race gas for that matter) and it will still run fine. Will even pick up some power over advertised 91 numbers as the DME will adjust timing a bit naturally with the better fuel and deliver some added power. Won't be as much as if it were tuned to those specific octanes but would be more at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason526 View Post
Why not release this tune via BM3? If you sold it as an optional base map for those looking for an option to the BM3 Stage 1 93 I think you would sell it like hot cakes. Right now it costs about $400 to get these cars unlocked so if you could offer the tune only without the unlock service for less than $400 it would sell and you'd get more money on volume. This would also keep you under the price of a remote custom tune so it is competitive.
I will summon the logic of my 8 year old and just say, "Because."

Truth is there is no good way to answer this without getting myself in trouble or pissing someone else off so I will simply deflect.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 03:39 PM   #26
jason526
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Missed this somehow.

If you get a 93 map you are getting Stage 1 and not Dinan+. Dinan+ (Warrantied flash) only comes with the 91 octane mapping. You can use 93 octane (or race gas for that matter) and it will still run fine. Will even pick up some power over advertised 91 numbers as the DME will adjust timing a bit naturally with the better fuel and deliver some added power. Won't be as much as if it were tuned to those specific octanes but would be more at least.

I will summon the logic of my 8 year old and just say, "Because."

Truth is there is no good way to answer this without getting myself in trouble or pissing someone else off so I will simply deflect.
Understood, I have bosses also...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 09:27 AM   #27
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M850i, 22 X6 M50i

The downside with all Dinan flash tunes is no ability to perform any logging without investing in one of the popular tools/platforms which becomes a waste for logging only.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 11:27 PM   #28
Betmenas
Rep
Drives: 2010 E60 535i AT

@dinan are the torque figures with higher octane fuels or E85 safe for rods or other driveshaft components?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 08:00 AM   #29
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betmenas View Post
@dinan are the torque figures with higher octane fuels or E85 safe for rods or other driveshaft components?
Yup.
Appreciate 0