BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications M-Link and BM3

11-24-2023, 01:04 PM   #1
oldtexasdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550I X Drive

M-Link and BM3

When reverting tune back to stock with M-Link and BM3 do you let BM3 revert stock tune and lock then re-do it with M-Link as unlock again then put stock tune from M-Linkk in then re-lock with M-Link? Sorry just a little confused and more than likley trying to make something simple complicated?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 02:02 PM   #2
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtexasdog View Post
When reverting tune back to stock with M-Link and BM3 do you let BM3 revert stock tune and lock then re-do it with M-Link as unlock again then put stock tune from M-Linkk in then re-lock with M-Link? Sorry just a little confused and more than likley trying to make something simple complicated?
I'm working from memory here but I think that you just use BM3 to revert and re-lock the DME in one step. When it's time to re-install BM3, use M-Link to unlock and then BM3 for the tune. Feel free to check with BM3 tech support and report back what they tell you.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 02:43 PM   #3
oldtexasdog
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WretchedRefuse View Post
I'm working from memory here but I think that you just use BM3 to revert and re-lock the DME in one step. When it's time to re-install BM3, use M-Link to unlock and then BM3 for the tune. Feel free to check with BM3 tech support and report back what they tell you.
Good idea. I thought one of the selling points of M-Link was it's ability to restore the DME back to factory not leaving a trace?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 09:10 AM   #4
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Good idea. I thought one of the selling points of M-Link was it's ability to restore the DME back to factory not leaving a trace?
Good point! If you used M-Link to save a backup of the factory tune before ever installing BM3 you can use that instead of BM3 to revert back.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 09:04 AM   #5
oldtexasdog
Private First Class
Rep

So the process would be unlock DME and back it up with M-Link then load BM3. Then when you need to go in for service hook up M-Link and back up BM3 tune then have M-Link reload the OEM tune. Then when you have the car back from service reverse the process with M-Link? So after the initial loading of BM3 you would be using M-Link exclusively unless adding a new tune?

No conflicts would be created with BM3?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 10:10 AM   #6
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So the process would be unlock DME and back it up with M-Link then load BM3. Then when you need to go in for service hook up M-Link and back up BM3 tune then have M-Link reload the OEM tune. Then when you have the car back from service reverse the process with M-Link? So after the initial loading of BM3 you would be using M-Link exclusively unless adding a new tune?

No conflicts would be created with BM3?
This is probably just pedantic but I'm not sure if you would back up first or unlock first with M-Link. Everything else looks fine, although I'm not very deep on M-Link backup/restore because I didn't get that license and have never actually used it. I had already paid somebody to unlock my DME and tuned with BM3 before buying M-Link so I didn't see the value in using backup/restore. But if I hadn't tuned my car beforehand I would definitely pay for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 05:26 PM   #7
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i f30 N55 ( sold)

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
There website stated you flash the tune back to stock

Then install your backed up stock DME

Then when your done, you can re tune and the DME won’t matter because you already have the back up
Stock intake(had open before and was sick of noise)
BMS CP
550i 351m rims with 275/245 set up.
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 03:26 PM   #8
oldtexasdog
Private First Class
Rep

After talking to Mission Performance it seems the M-Link is only for locking and unlocking, along with restoring the stock tune. It will not save the BM3 tune. So if you want to take it into the dealership and you have done a virgin unlock and save with the M-Link before the BM3 tune then I guess you would have to do a save and restore first with BM3 then go to M-Link and do another flashback and lock to take advantage of it's full abilities to restore the OEM tune. Then after service do a M-Link unlock then load your BM3 tune back in with BM3.
Appreciate 0