BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Lexus ls 460

02-18-2014, 01:35 AM   #1
Chad20
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i sapphire black stock;/

Lexus ls 460

Anyone driven one here ? How does it compare to e60 I was surprised at how cheap the cost of ownership was on it even in comparison to my base model 328i although I know it's a toyota. Gonna look at one in sacramento tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 02:27 AM   #2
TokyoCarGuy
Captain
Japan
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3

Garage List
I don't think LS compares to E60. It's more of a 7 series rival. Which year are you looking at?

I have done a test drive the new LS 460 F-Sport.
It's extremely comfortable and packed with features. huge screen, all materials are top notch, handles well, overwhelmingly comfortable, but it's drop dead boring. You barely hear the engine, there is no feedback on the steering wheel, and the car has no character. It may make a great daily driver if you travel long distances, but prepare to stop for coffee a lot because that thing will put you to sleep.
      02-18-2014, 09:44 AM   #3
TopBack_Mack
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
^^ The GS is comparable to an E60. The LS is more comparable to a 7 series. I havent driven the new ones but I have driven the previous years. Overall its a really good car. Reliable, comfortable, and loaded with features. The ride is really smooth but its dull. Its a boring drive if your looking for fun but its a great daily driver that serves its purpose very well.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #4
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

the LS-F is a looker though.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 10:33 AM   #5
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

The ride and drive is just like any other premium luxury car. It's great to drive for long journeys or enjoying them in the back as it has a very soft ride. Cost of maintenance is far lower than my 2008 S550 (in comparison). My Lexus dealer does a fantastic job and are essentially Toyota dealers with different logos on their shirts and costs are going to be about 5-15% higher than a Toyota dealership as it is their flag ship brand but nothing in comparison to the outrageous prices and time spent at Mercedes or BMW for me in this matter.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #6
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
I've often driven my fathers. If it tells you anything, I enjoy driving the ls460 on occasions (but could never imagine driving one daily) while my father hates when he drives my 335 (or my wife's x5). His last 5 cars have been Lexus LS4xx, and he keeps cars for 4-6 years (or until someone t-bones him).

The whole car is significantly more intuitive than any given BMW, the easiest example of which being the navigation. Reliability and maintenance costs are also a major step in the right direction. It has MUCH lighter steering than an e60 and is much less communicative from the suspension or steering, but it does have surprising pickup for such a huge, soft car. Road noise, and interior quality (and sound system with Marc Levinson) are also a step above (or several) the BMW. That said, I like to feel like I am driving, not boating

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #7
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Not sure if this is good or bad thing.

My son worked at the local Lexus dealer for the summer and spent a lot of time in the shop with the mechanics. His observation was that the shop was always busy especially for a car which was suppose to be so reliable. He did say the IS F was the worse of the bunch while there he saw 4 engines being completely rebuilt. His other observation was most the mechanics there had no clue how a car worked, they could turn a nut which was about it. They told him if the car had any sort of electrical or computer issue they have to bring in a Lexus field engineer.

Anyway if the car just need generally maintenance and were really reliable then a nut turners are okay. That could be a good thing, but I rather have someone working on my car who knew what they were doing.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 02:16 PM   #8
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Not sure if this is good or bad thing.

My son worked at the local Lexus dealer for the summer and spent a lot of time in the shop with the mechanics. His observation was that the shop was always busy especially for a car which was suppose to be so reliable. He did say the IS F was the worse of the bunch while there he saw 4 engines being completely rebuilt. His other observation was most the mechanics there had no clue how a car worked, they could turn a nut which was about it. They told him if the car had any sort of electrical or computer issue they have to bring in a Lexus field engineer.

Anyway if the car just need generally maintenance and were really reliable then a nut turners are okay. That could be a good thing, but I rather have someone working on my car who knew what they were doing.
It sounds like that dealership did a poor job of recruiting talent. There is no comparison between the reliability or "fixability" between BMW's and Lexus's. Its not even close. I love my 335, but I know what's what.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 08:32 PM   #9
Boost4me
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E63S AMG

Like other posters have mentioned, it is a extremely comfortable & luxurious ride. It does a fantastic job of canceling out outside noises, the first time I started one up, it was so smooth & quiet that I had to glance at the tach again just to make sure I fired it up. Its a good ride if you just want to be in absolute comfort when driving home after a long day at work, but because it isolates the driving experience so much, it does make it a bit boring.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #10
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

i love this car. especially the new one.

if I have the money, would buy one in a heart beat to cruise around.

IMO s class > ls 460 > audi a8 > bmw 7 series
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 06:40 PM   #11
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

It's an extremely nice car. My parents have one.

It drives like a boat compared to a 3 series (duh) but so does any car in this class. My uncle has an S550 and so I've driven both pretty extensively. They drive exactly the same. Once you drive it for a month or so you get used to the boat-like, floaty feeling and it starts to feel normal.

Honestly though it's a car meant for 40 or 50+ year old white collar types. You should not get an S/7/LS/A8 and expect a "driver's car." These are bulky landboats that aren't all that agile, so you really have to enjoy that style of driving. The ride is ridiculously smooth and luxurious though.

I like the subtle redesign on the current generation LS, particularly when it comes to the tail lights. They look very similar to the F10 taillights.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 06:44 PM   #12
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

And I agree with the people who say the steering feel is extremely light. It literally does feel like a landboat It threw me off the first time I drove it, but a fringe benefit is the fact that my 335i feels amazing after I'm done driving the LS for a couple of days.

But yeah you don't get a car like this for the driving experience. If you want an engaging driving experience, you have to look elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 07:10 PM   #13
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

I'm a big fan of the new generation of Lexus cars. If you plan on keeping the car well outside of the warranty period, I'd go with a Lexus over ANY of its German competitors. I bleed blue and white, but let's be honest; BMWs reliability outside of warranty/lease timeframe is pretty atrocious. I think the notion of 'German Durability' is pretty antiquated at this point.

Good luck with your car search.
Appreciate 0