BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 800 HP Merc SL rumoured

01-30-2018, 04:01 PM   #1
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

800 HP Merc SL rumoured

From the National Post Driving section:

http://driving.ca/mercedes-benz/sl-c...t-more-serious

With a rumoured 800-hp top trim and more aggressive styling, the SL is going place it hasn't in a long time

The next-generation 2021 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class will lose a bunch of weight, take on way more aggressive styling, and come with more power than ever before, topping out at more than 800 horsepower courtesy an e-motor-assisted 4.0-litre V8, according to a report from Automobile magazine.

A mostly-aluminum platform will help the SL-Class shed some 150 kg, the publication has apparently found out, even though cabin room will be expanded thanks to a stretched wheelbase. If the SL ends up under the Mercedes-AMG banner, a small 2+2-style back seat will help set it apart from its AMG GT sibling. A multi-layer soft top is expected to return for the first time since 2001, and active stabilizers, rear-wheel steering and AWD all point to a performance focus.

Styling-wise, expect a much meaner look, with large intakes, lots of vents and aggressive headlights. Clashing with rumours reported last April by Autocar magazine, Automobile says it’s heard the base SL 43 will start with a 435-horsepower 3.0-litre inline-six mated to a 20-horsepower mild hybrid system. The SL 53 and SL 63 would be similarly hybridized, though the powerplant there would be a 4.0-litre twin-turbo V8, making 522 horsepower in the SL 53 and 612 in the SL 63.

At the top of the model range, says the Mercedes insider tapped by the magazine, will be an SL 73, also with a 612-horsepower V8, but one mated to a 204-horsepower e-motor inspired by the one driving the AMG Project One. That rumour makes sense considering Automobile long ago reported that overall next-gen SL-Class development had been assigned to AMG specifically.

It could be a while before it can be sorted exactly which rumours prove true and which ring false. If the next-gen SL does indeed debut as a 2021 model, at the earliest a prototype would bow a year or two from now.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 05:12 PM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Ah, finally they counter the Demon. Probably just as worthless at turning too. Why this car exists, in light of the GT, I just don't understand.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 05:37 PM   #3
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Why won't BMW ever produce any of these crazy cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 09:35 AM   #4
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Neat, always loved the SL’s. Great cars.

Soft top is a questionable choice though, seems it’ll be less GT-like and more sportscar
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2018, 10:03 AM   #5
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Because they are busy building FWD Active Tourer and small SUVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2018, 05:39 PM   #6
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Ah, finally they counter the Demon. Probably just as worthless at turning too. Why this car exists, in light of the GT, I just don't understand.
You don't understand because the car isn't meant for you. What this article doesn't mention but countless others do, is that the new SL is replacing both the current SL and the S coupe/convertible as a 2+2. And an SL can't turn? Upon release it beat the M6, XKR and Bentley GT in every comparison test in terms of handling. It wasn't designed to compete with pure sports cars.

On a side note from all your comments here on the general automotive section it's pretty obvious you've hardly driven any of cars you're out to trash talk and base your opinions on youtube videos. Opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one and here's mine - for such a strongly opinionated guy I bet you set racetracks on fire with that X1.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 05:41 PM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysaurus View Post
Quote:
You don't understand because the car isn't meant for you. What this article doesn't mention but countless others do, is that the new SL is replacing both the current SL and the S coupe/convertible as a 2+2. And an SL can't turn? Upon release it beat the M6, XKR and Bentley GT in every comparison test in terms of handling. It wasn't designed to compete with pure sports cars.

On a side note from all your comments here on the general automotive section it's pretty obvious you've hardly driven any of cars you're out to trash talk and base your opinions on youtube videos. Opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one and here's mine - for such a strongly opinionated guy I bet you set racetracks on fire with that X1.
Haha, if only my parents hadn't owned thirty plus S Class, SL and similar MB. But good try, we all get things wildly wrong.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      01-31-2018, 05:58 PM   #8
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Neat, always loved the SL’s. Great cars.

Soft top is a questionable choice though, seems it’ll be less GT-like and more sportscar
A bit of both actually. It's supposed to replace the current 2 door S class but handle more like a sports car at the same time since its being built on the AMG GT platform. And yeah the soft top is a step back for most current or former SL owners considering that the hardtop is the model's USP but they're doing it for weight reduction.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 05:59 PM   #9
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Haha, if only my parents hadn't owned thirty plus S Class, SL and similar MB. But good try, we all get things wildly wrong.
Cool story bro
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 06:09 PM   #10
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysaurus View Post
Quote:
Cool story bro
Just saying, I've driven just about every SL, aside from a Gullwing that my dad justifiably never let me near.

They're all massively paled by both the S Coupe and the GT, in clearly different ways. Continuing on with the current approach just seems silly.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 04:16 AM   #11
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Merc' is going great in last 3-4 years and seems BMW takes it a bit slower..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 08:15 PM   #12
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Not able...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
swanson733.00
      02-07-2018, 08:17 PM   #13
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

Quote:
Wait, what?
Appreciate 0