BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding How to check Navigation Map Version

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-28-2019, 05:37 PM   #1
AD18
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
152
Rep
388
Posts

Drives: Azurite Black E92 335i DCT
Join Date: May 2015
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

How to check Navigation Map Version

Hi all,

I've been trying to check the version of the maps on my fathers 5 series touring but not having any success, I'm running CIC in my car so I'm not used to this new version (NBT EVO?). Can someone guide me on where to look? Its a 2018 car, I understand map updates are all conducted over the air or are USB sticks still required?

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 09:36 AM   #2
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
CLABRO's Avatar
United_States
252
Rep
294
Posts

Drives: BMW M Sport G30
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
BMW should make it more clear regarding how the navigation map is updated as I wasn't sure either when I first got my car.

In the US, the only map updates that update over the air are the regional maps and you can select your region here (it's under map update): https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com/ap...x.html#/portal

In the US, the entire map though needs to be downloaded and uploaded to the car via USB.

The above may be different for your father though since you're not in the US.

Pull up the navigation (the actual map) on the iDrive screen and then once you're there, press option on the iDrive controller. There should be something called software information- press that and it will give you your navigation map version (mine is 2016-4 so I need an update):
Attached Images
 
__________________

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay

Last edited by CLABRO; 07-01-2019 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 2
clee1982585.00
AD18152.00

      07-01-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
AP
Colonel
AP's Avatar
677
Rep
2,710
Posts

Drives: G30 540i X Msport
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Adding to that, if you can get your bmw connected credentials and login to bmw connected( google that and you should find it)

Once in there map updates are buried a bit not positioned ideally to find and you will have the option to download them to a usb drive. Suggest you use a 64gb one to allow it to fit.
Note the download is specific to this car alone, it's not for any other cars.

Then place in the usb drive of the car and you will be prompted to update, you can do this whilst you are driving , you will still get directions. Once the download has finished the idrive will reboot.
I'm not sure if this process can be interrupted or not (probably but I've not tried) so I chose to do this On journey taking me half an hour or more to allow it to finish.

Ora updates are as previously stated just for small area updates they will not be for the whole map.
Appreciate 1
AD18152.00

      07-03-2019, 07:43 PM   #4
AD18
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
152
Rep
388
Posts

Drives: Azurite Black E92 335i DCT
Join Date: May 2015
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Adding to that, if you can get your bmw connected credentials and login to bmw connected( google that and you should find it)

Once in there map updates are buried a bit not positioned ideally to find and you will have the option to download them to a usb drive. Suggest you use a 64gb one to allow it to fit.
Note the download is specific to this car alone, it's not for any other cars.

Then place in the usb drive of the car and you will be prompted to update, you can do this whilst you are driving , you will still get directions. Once the download has finished the idrive will reboot.
I'm not sure if this process can be interrupted or not (probably but I've not tried) so I chose to do this On journey taking me half an hour or more to allow it to finish.

Ora updates are as previously stated just for small area updates they will not be for the whole map.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
BMW should make it more clear regarding how the navigation map is updated as I wasn't sure either when I first got my car.

In the US, the only map updates that update over the air are the regional maps and you can select your region here (it's under map update): https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com/ap...x.html#/portal

In the US, the entire map though needs to be downloaded and uploaded to the car via USB.

The above may be different for your father though since you're not in the US.

Pull up the navigation (the actual map) on the iDrive screen and then once you're there, press option on the iDrive controller. There should be something called software information- press that and it will give you your navigation map version (mine is 2016-4 so I need an update):
Thank you both for that, I'll give that a go, I'm pretty tech savvy but I could't figure out how to find the map version at all! On my E92 I just tilt the controller to the right and you can see version there. I agree its definitely confusing knowing quite how to update the maps. The dealer actually told my father it all gets updated OTA (now I know that's wrong!) but I've not seen anything update as of yet, it makes sense that the main map still needs a USB.
Dealer also mentioned map updates are free...however am I right in thinking they are only "free" while you have a paid connected drive membership? Once that runs out are you no longer able to update the maps without paying?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 10:37 PM   #5
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
CLABRO's Avatar
United_States
252
Rep
294
Posts

Drives: BMW M Sport G30
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD18 View Post
Thank you both for that, I'll give that a go, I'm pretty tech savvy but I could't figure out how to find the map version at all! On my E92 I just tilt the controller to the right and you can see version there. I agree its definitely confusing knowing quite how to update the maps. The dealer actually told my father it all gets updated OTA (now I know that's wrong!) but I've not seen anything update as of yet, it makes sense that the main map still needs a USB.
Dealer also mentioned map updates are free...however am I right in thinking they are only "free" while you have a paid connected drive membership? Once that runs out are you no longer able to update the maps without paying?
Correct. New BMW vehicles in the US (can't speak to other countries) come with 3 years of membership or service so once that runs out, he'll have to pay.
__________________

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 12:25 AM   #6
AP
Colonel
AP's Avatar
677
Rep
2,710
Posts

Drives: G30 540i X Msport
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

In the UK free for first 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 09:06 AM   #7
AD18
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
152
Rep
388
Posts

Drives: Azurite Black E92 335i DCT
Join Date: May 2015
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
Correct. New BMW vehicles in the US (can't speak to other countries) come with 3 years of membership or service so once that runs out, he'll have to pay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
In the UK free for first 3 years.
Great, thanks both.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
5 series, map, navigation, touring, update

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST