BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding EASY iPhone/Android Mirroring & Netflix/YT on iDrive + solution for 3 screens [RSE]

08-03-2022, 02:24 PM   #45
Gautam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1cero View Post
Good luck. I've ordered usb type-c to hdmi cable to test my idea with android phone. There is a screen timeout on the phone when screen mirroring but I guess it can be turned off.
I’ve been trying this and unfortunately it seems like a no-go. I can’t even use screen mirroring in the front if Hdmi is in use in the back. It gives an error that the media type can only be controlled from the rear. I can switch back to screen mirroring, but then it disables hdmi in the back. I also can only use screen mirroring in either the rear or the front. Perhaps the restriction can be coded around, but wouldn’t count on it. Both screen mirroring and hdmi work great independently on my phone, but I can’t even use my chrome cast in the back at the same time as screen mirroring with my phone in the front, let alone using the phone through both mirroring and hdmi.

https://car-solutions.com/en/video-i...-nbt-evo-id5/A possible alternative to luigilauro ’s solution could be to enable hdmi input to the front with an HD-link box like this: https://car-solutions.com/en/video-i...i-nbt-evo-id5/

I’ve seen videos of this working with F-series BMW’s on I drive 5 (or maybe lower) but no idea if it’s possible on id6/7. But the mmb box definitely seems like the best approach, assuming they’re able to deliver.

If not, my fallback is to give up on the front screen and just mount a Samsung tablet for the front passenger.
      08-03-2022, 04:33 PM   #46
luigilauro
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
I’ve been trying this and unfortunately it seems like a no-go. I can’t even use screen mirroring in the front if Hdmi is in use in the back. It gives an error that the media type can only be controlled from the rear. I can switch back to screen mirroring, but then it disables hdmi in the back. I also can only use screen mirroring in either the rear or the front. Perhaps the restriction can be coded around, but wouldn’t count on it. Both screen mirroring and hdmi work great independently on my phone, but I can’t even use my chrome cast in the back at the same time as screen mirroring with my phone in the front, let alone using the phone through both mirroring and hdmi.

https://car-solutions.com/en/video-i...-nbt-evo-id5/A possible alternative to luigilauro ’s solution could be to enable hdmi input to the front with an HD-link box like this: https://car-solutions.com/en/video-i...i-nbt-evo-id5/

I’ve seen videos of this working with F-series BMW’s on I drive 5 (or maybe lower) but no idea if it’s possible on id6/7. But the mmb box definitely seems like the best approach, assuming they’re able to deliver.

If not, my fallback is to give up on the front screen and just mount a Samsung tablet for the front passenger.
Sorry to hear your tentative didn't work out.

That said, for sure video interface boxes that add an HDMI input for iDrive main screen would work in getting Netflix on the front screen. But you would still have the problem to pass also the same input to the back screens as well, you would need a HDMI 1x2 box, and then to run cables across the car. Also you couldn't control the source with iDrive controls, since it's just an HDMI input, you would need to control it at the source directly or with another remote. Much less convenient and flexible IMHO, but if you are interested only in front screen, of course it's a good solution. Also it would require to do an hw mod, even if minimal, which is not an option for many ppl (leasing, etc..).

Let's hope the MMB ppl are able to deliver the updated box with full BMW compatibility and then we have a solution that could work for everyone (iPhone Screen Mirroring, Android Auto support, Netflix/YouTube/Any App, Front/Back screen sync etc. etc..) and also be decently cheap (~300 $), requiring no hw mods, and easily reversible.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 05:23 PM   #47
Gautam
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigilauro View Post
Sorry to hear your tentative didn't work out.

That said, for sure video interface boxes that add an HDMI input for iDrive main screen would work in getting Netflix on the front screen. But you would still have the problem to pass also the same input to the back screens as well, you would need a HDMI 1x2 box, and then to run cables across the car. Also you couldn't control the source with iDrive controls, since it's just an HDMI input, you would need to control it at the source directly or with another remote. Much less convenient and flexible IMHO, but if you are interested only in front screen, of course it's a good solution. Also it would require to do an hw mod, even if minimal, which is not an option for many ppl (leasing, etc..).
Yeah, it wouldn’t be a very good method compared to the MMB box, which indeed seems the best of all worlds. Fingers crossed it comes out soon. My car is an ‘18, but the dealer updated its software recently so it’s unlikely any of the solutions out would work, not to mention no hdmi.
      08-04-2022, 02:02 AM   #48
luigilauro
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Meanwhile I tried to contact another reseller (https://www.joyeauto.com) and when I asked if "MMB 11 Plus" box is compatible with recent BMWs, he independently told me that a new version of the box, compatible with BMWs is in development and should be out very soon (he said 1 month, look down below!)

This makes me believe the "new BMW box" is legit, and should also come out soon, since two different resellers independently said basically the same thing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 04:57 AM   #49
r1cero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 520d g30

Quote:
I’ve been trying this and unfortunately it seems like a no-go. I can’t even use screen mirroring in the front if Hdmi is in use in the back. It gives an error that the media type can only be controlled from the rear. I can switch back to screen mirroring, but then it disables hdmi in the back.
I'm not sure you're trying this properly as I was able to successfully have three independent sources to all three screens at the same time, admittedly, I've never tried hdmi but I don't think it should make a difference. The 'trick' is to first setup the rear screens and then the front.

Or maybe I misunderstood what you were trying. Did you try to do screen mirroring and hdmi casting from the same mobile device?

Also, on unrelated note. Anyone using rear screens with 3.5mm headphones? I've noticed that after like one hour of usage, sound starts to be distorted in the headphones and it becomes unusable. It is not related to headphones as I've tried several types. I am even thinking of obtaining original bmw bluetooth/kleer headphones to see if this will solve the issue.

Bottom line is that I would like to have option to have all three screens with different source or all three screens to show one source.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 05:15 AM   #50
luigilauro
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Bottom line is that I would like to have option to have all three screens with different source or all three screens to show one source.
Yeah, different sources is already possible with OEM RSE, the issue is the same source front+back. This is only possible with TV Plus accessory and only for TV still, and anyways not in motion.

I need same source, incl. Netflix & apps, on all screens and in motion, that's why MMB box seems like perfect solution!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 06:58 AM   #51
r1cero
Private First Class
Rep

Bimmercode sorts the in motion limitation

@gautam

Now I remembered, in order to have different sources front/rear at the same time, you have to set the rear to go through headphones. It can only be done via remote controller at the rear.
Appreciate 1
Gautam616.50
      08-04-2022, 08:50 AM   #52
luigilauro
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Quote:

@gautam

Now I remembered, in order to have different sources front/rear at the same time, you have to set the rear to go through headphones. It can only be done via remote controller at the rear.
I think it's enough to put audio into "independent" mode instead of "theatre" mode (only one audio source in entire car), and this should be doable also from the front right?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 09:31 AM   #53
r1cero
Private First Class
Rep

I have b&w sound so no 'independent' mode in my options but that might be the solution for some. It may also be different functioning in ID7 since I believe RSE in id7 is touchscreen(and also better resolution?).

Anyways, it seems logical that you can't play two different sources but use same audio output.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 09:35 AM   #54
luigilauro
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Quote:
I have b&w sound so no 'independent' mode in my options but that might be the solution for some. It may also be different functioning in ID7 since I believe RSE in id7 is touchscreen(and also better resolution?).

Anyways, it seems logical that you can't play two different sources but use same audio output.
On ID7 you can have different sources on each screen (main + 2 back screens) and the audio will play from the associated speakers (front, back left, back right) or from the associated headphones (wired or wireless). Or you can force the same audio source for the entire car.

This is also visible here:

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 10:31 AM   #55
r1cero
Private First Class
Rep

This is quite different than the ID6, but I never saw mentioning of speakers being able to play different audio depending on the side of the car.

Additionally, it looks like that with the 'share' option you should be able to achieve all three screens showing same as the front one. In that case, you could use bimmercode for Video in motion coding and use android phone for screen mirroring and play netflix/youtube/etc on all three screens.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 10:36 AM   #56
Gautam
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:

@gautam

Argh, yes I made this mistake. Will try again this evening.

I’ve only used the oem bmw headphones so can’t speak to wired ones.

Last edited by Gautam; 08-04-2022 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 11:04 AM   #57
luigilauro
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Quote:
This is quite different than the ID6, but I never saw mentioning of speakers being able to play different audio depending on the side of the car.
My understanding is this should be possible as well, also by watching some YouTube videos about RSE, but can't confirm until I have the car :-) Maybe someone with ID7 RSE knowledge can jump in.

Quote:
Additionally, it looks like that with the 'share' option you should be able to achieve all three screens showing same as the front one. In that case, you could use bimmercode for Video in motion coding and use android phone for screen mirroring and play netflix/youtube/etc on all three screens.
Unfortunately, it's not that easy. I don't think for example you can share CarPlay interface or mirroring from Android... that's why it's not possible to have Netflix on all 3 screens just with "default" options. I heard from many people the only "video" source you can share with all 3 screen is basically TV from TV Plus optional... and nothing else.

Audio only (/w album art) is of course possible. I'm not sure about videos from USB drive on front screen... if it's possible or not.

Unfortunately there are very little actual information on RSE online. I plan to change this once I get mine and make a small "wiki" post for everyone.

Last edited by luigilauro; 08-04-2022 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 11:12 AM   #58
r1cero
Private First Class
Rep

Maybe someone with ID7 + RSE could shed some light here.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 11:18 AM   #59
Gautam
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
I think I read on the x5 or x7 forums that id7 allows for hdmi input to be displayed on the front screen. But I don’t think anything factory will allow you to display carplay on the rear.

Fwiw In North America, rse on the g30 was discontinued after my19.
      08-04-2022, 11:22 AM   #60
luigilauro
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Quote:
I think I read on the x5 or x7 forums that id7 allows for hdmi input to be displayed on the front screen. But I don’t think anything factory will allow you to display carplay on the rear.
Thanks for information, I would be pleasantly surprised if that is true for G30 as well, but I'll see once I get the car. There are very little information available even on this whole forum about RSE, even for other models.

Quote:
Fwiw In North America, rse on the g30 was discontinued after my19.
That's a pity. I think the biggest bummer for me would be not having the touring... I love BMW touring models...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 11:31 AM   #61
luigilauro
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

I've checked out of curiosity the BMW USA website and wow... you get like ONE FIFTH of the options we have here in Europe... a lot of items missing, at least on the 530e I wanted (Luxury version in alternative to Sport, Panoramic roof, Touring, RSE, Galvanic controls, laser light, several trims and colors like tanzanite blue, active steering of back wheels etc. etc.. so many).

This is what I ordered, if you wanna have an idea at the options available to us europeans (sorry for Italian):

https://configure.bmw.it/it_IT/configid/r9gjzwcs

With USA options you can't go too far... with European options it's easy to DOUBLE the cost of the car ahahahaha maybe it's better this way I would have saved a lot of money with USA options only... :P

Last edited by luigilauro; 08-04-2022 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 12:47 PM   #62
Gautam
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigilauro View Post
I've checked out of curiosity the BMW USA website and wow... you get like ONE FIFTH of the options we have here in Europe... a lot of items missing, at least on the 530e I wanted (Luxury version in alternative to Sport, Panoramic roof, Touring, RSE, Galvanic controls, laser light, several trims and colors like tanzanite blue, active steering of back wheels etc. etc.. so many).

This is what I ordered, if you wanna have an idea at the options available to us europeans (sorry for Italian):

https://configure.bmw.it/it_IT/configid/r9gjzwcs

With USA options you can't go too far... with European options it's easy to DOUBLE the cost of the car ahahahaha maybe it's better this way I would have saved a lot of money with USA options only... :P
The m5 and m550 have most of the options available, though we don’t get panoramic roof or galvanic controls, or touring models.

The North American configurations seem to be meant to push customers to either high trims like the m5, or to the x5/x6, or to the 8 series.
      08-04-2022, 01:10 PM   #63
luigilauro
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Quote:
The m5 and m550 have most of the options available, though we don’t get panoramic roof or galvanic controls, or touring models.

The North American configurations seem to be meant to push customers to either high trims like the m5, or to the x5/x6, or to the 8 series.
I guess it can sort of makes sense from a marketing/sales perspective, but it's still a bummer.

You may have the money for the optionals, but you may NOT have the money for a M550i + full optionals. Not everyone is as lucky as you Gautam :P Also, not everyone needs 500+ HPs... I would be more than content with 300, for my needs.

That's also the reason why I chose the 530e: enough range for my daily commute back & forth (~20-30km.. in theory the car can do 40-50, so a bit of a buffer there) on electric without any fuel cost, and decently powerful engine (292 hp in sport w/ electric engine support) for weekend trips.

If I wanted something more I guess even a 545e (or 540i/540d) would be enough for me. The "small M5" (aka M550i) is a bit too much :P

Last edited by luigilauro; 08-04-2022 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 01:13 PM   #64
r1cero
Private First Class
Rep

luigi, add 1.1k for nappa, that's a no brainer. then switch sensatec dash for nappa dash.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2022, 01:20 PM   #65
luigilauro
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Quote:
luigi, add 1.1k for nappa, that's a no brainer. then switch sensatec dash for nappa dash.
You are 101% right, I know Dakota is pretty rough and nappa (and merino) are sooooo much better, but I won't for basically 3 reasons:

1) I've seen it live and I really like the orange-ish color of Dakota cognac w/ blue exterior. Nappa has no equivalent: either mocha, but it's too dark for my taste, or I have to go all the way to merino caramel/tartufo, but still not "orange/bright" as I would like it too be. Also "white/cream" nappa is not an option for p3 (see below)

2) I can't go over a certain amount, it's a company benefit, not paying for it, and therefore to add anything I would need to remove something (which I could, not everything is 100% mandatory, but still...)

3) I have small-ish kids 9/9/11 years and I need to get the coarsest, most "dirty/wear resistant" leather, and I heard from several people Dakota is the most resistant to tear & wear, compared to the finer leathers, due to being coarser, the synthetic coating, etc...

But your suggestion is 100% right, just not for my specific case (unfortunately, I tried nappa and it feels sooooo much better on your hand).

Last edited by luigilauro; 08-04-2022 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 01:45 PM   #66
luigilauro
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Quote:
About sensatech dash, is it really that noticeable the difference? I mean to switch to real leather for the dash. From the pictures it's very hard to tell.
Appreciate 0