BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions PDC Braking Issue

11-19-2019, 02:49 AM   #1
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
PDC Braking Issue

I've noticed on a few occasions now, when reversing on to my drive way (left hand down/turning) the emergency PDC braking activated showing something is about to collide with the driver side doors (these show red) which is quite dangerous as I reverse of a road and the car basically locks the brakes on mid turn.

Only tried this reversing in that particular direction, doesn't happen all the time but enough that I hit the PDC button and turn it off.

There are no obstructions, oncoming cars/vehicles and plenty of room/space around the vehicle. Sensors are clean as are cameras.

I'm wondering if there is a certain set of circumstances which would cause this to happen? Sun? Parked stationary cars maybe? Also assuming as it's the side of the vehicle that is showing as collision that is maybe the mirror camera that is sensing impact?

Once on the drive everything returns to normal?

Car has 360 camera with all assistance packages etc

Anyone experienced anything similar to this?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 05:05 AM   #2
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK - 421 View Post
I've noticed on a few occasions now, when reversing on to my drive way (left hand down/turning) the emergency PDC braking activated showing something is about to collide with the driver side doors (these show red) which is quite dangerous as I reverse of a road and the car basically locks the brakes on mid turn.

Only tried this reversing in that particular direction, doesn't happen all the time but enough that I hit the PDC button and turn it off.

There are no obstructions, oncoming cars/vehicles and plenty of room/space around the vehicle. Sensors are clean as are cameras.

I'm wondering if there is a certain set of circumstances which would cause this to happen? Sun? Parked stationary cars maybe? Also assuming as it's the side of the vehicle that is showing as collision that is maybe the mirror camera that is sensing impact?

Quote:

Eveytime i back out, my car slams on brakes. I shut feature off. At end of my driveway, small dip to road and that's where it happens
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 06:41 AM   #3
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

How fast are you backing out? Does it do same hard braking if you're slowly backing out?
      11-19-2019, 02:03 PM   #4
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
Eveytime i back out, my car slams on brakes. I shut feature off. At end of my driveway, small dip to road and that's where it happens
Seconded. Same thing happened with the dip out of my driveway the first time I tried using the feature and it slammed the brakes on. Turned it off after that.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 05:43 PM   #5
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Had similar problems when they were repaving my street and the dropoff increased because of the prep. Had to turn it off during that time. Since, if I back out slowly, and at an angle, no problems. Hate to turn off braking intervention permanently for that, since it might actually save me some day.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 08:07 PM   #6
dewkn76
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e M Sport

I have the same issue. I ended up turn the feature off.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 10:53 PM   #7
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
Had similar problems when they were repaving my street and the dropoff increased because of the prep. Had to turn it off during that time. Since, if I back out slowly, and at an angle, no problems. Hate to turn off braking intervention permanently for that, since it might actually save me some day.
Annoying, but you can hold the button for 5 seconds to turn all systems off then turn them all back on with a single button press. So you have the systems most of the time.

Last edited by LogicalApex; 11-22-2019 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: Fixed autocorrect gibberish.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 10:54 PM   #8
CoolWave911
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW G30 530i M Sport

Annoying sometimes but very effective when you need it. Like being said above, if in doubt hold the Smart Safety button for a few seconds and continue with the maneuver.

I still believe it saved my ass once or twice when I'm distracted so I always left the thing enabled.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 02:40 AM   #9
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I agree a great option when it works as it should, but makes you look like a complete tool when it doesn’t as it locks the brakes on randomly.
Question is is it a fault? An issue that can be fixed with an update or a part that’s been superseded maybe?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 12:56 AM   #10
Krash7172
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e, 2020 X4

When I have to back out of my sloped driveway, it's annoying. I had it activate the other day on the highway going forward. Sun was low in the sky and no car in front of me. It put on breaks and I almost was hit from behind. Safety issue IMO. I'm turning off all this safety crap.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 01:15 PM   #11
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash7172 View Post
I'm turning off all this safety crap.
Every-so-often it saves your butt, but more often than not it's just a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Annoying, but you can do the hood for 5 seconds to turn all systems off then turn it back on with a single press once out.
I assume a typo? What does "do the hood" mean?

The problem with turning everything off like that, is that (in my experience) that one press back on, or on engine restart, it turns everything on, regardless of your personalized setting beforehand. I turn off the lane keeping and other silliness except blind spot warning...
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 01:40 PM   #12
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Every-so-often it saves your butt, but more often than not it's just a pain.

I assume a typo? What does "do the hood" mean?

The problem with turning everything off like that, is that (in my experience) that one press back on, or on engine restart, it turns everything on, regardless of your personalized setting beforehand. I turn off the lane keeping and other silliness except blind spot warning...
Yep, the joys of responding on my iPhone via Safari where it wrecks you with autocorrecting in its own mindset and then the text is small enough you miss its messes...

It should have read

"Annoying, but you can hold the button for 5 seconds to turn all systems off then turn them all back on with a single button press. So you have the systems most of the time."
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 02:05 PM   #13
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I had a chat with my Master tech guy at BMW, he said it shouldn’t do it, regardless. Obviously stating the system does have its limitations, but under the circumstances I mentioned it shouldn’t jam the brakes on when there is nothing there. I asked if there were any recent software updates for the G30 and his reply was, they are continuously updating the software, and no doubt the latest iteration would address some if not all of these issues.
Now just finding the time to faff about and take it in...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 06:13 AM   #14
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
I had a chat with my Master tech guy at BMW, he said it shouldn’t do it, regardless. Obviously stating the system does have its limitations, but under the circumstances I mentioned it shouldn’t jam the brakes on when there is nothing there. I asked if there were any recent software updates for the G30 and his reply was, they are continuously updating the software, and no doubt the latest iteration would address some if not all of these issues.
Quote:
I had a chat with my Master tech guy at BMW, he said it shouldn't do it, regardless. Obviously stating the system does have its limitations, but under the circumstances I mentioned it shouldn't jam the brakes on when there is nothing there. I asked if there were any recent software updates for the G30 and his reply was, they are continuously updating the software, and no doubt the latest iteration would address some if not all of these issues.
On a sharp downward slope, the street is there.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 07:12 AM   #15
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
On a sharp downward slope, the street is there.
Agree, and it's approaching fast, which is why the brakes lock up, even though if you continued you would probably not have scraped. However, inches count in preventing a collision, so the system is doing exactly what it is designed to do. I like the idea of temporarily disabling it and then pushing the button to turn it back on. I have solved it by simply backing out slowly, and at an angle. That has worked every time for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 09:53 AM   #16
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
Agree, and it's approaching fast, which is why the brakes lock up, even though if you continued you would probably not have scraped. However, inches count in preventing a collision, so the system is doing exactly what it is designed to do. I like the idea of temporarily disabling it and then pushing the button to turn it back on. I have solved it by simply backing out slowly, and at an angle. That has worked every time for me.
That's what I do. I have never had the car apply the brakes while backing but I do occasionally get a beep warning from the PDC when I come down my inclined drive and get to the street. I just take it slow and exit at an angle when at the junction of the street and the driveway. --Bob
      12-05-2019, 11:17 PM   #17
moonbeam
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

My car does this. First time it did it, I thought I had just hit something with my new car given how aggressive it stops and the sound it makes. Was quite confused walking around, only realized days later what had happened when it did it again somewhere else.

I leave it on as it has saved me before, but I now also always prepare myself for it to false trigger, if i see it picking something up that is not real (exhaust in cold etc), I slow down or stop for a second to let it realize whats up, that usually does the trick, I have only had to disable it once to complete backing up.
Appreciate 0