BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Retrofit Park Assistant

05-21-2019, 06:45 AM   #1
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

Retrofit Park Assistant

I'm curious to find out if it's possible to retrofit park assist at all? (Not remote parking).

I don't have 360 cameras. Just the rear view camera and of course, front and rear sensors all around.

Any idea if it's possible, if it's just a coding option or would I have to buy any extra hardware?

Cheers
      11-03-2019, 02:43 PM   #2
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep

Interested too....any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 04:59 PM   #3
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

You posted this months ago then today replied to same thread saying you're also interested? OK.

Short answer is no, can't be coded without the required parts installed. Would be an expensive undertaking to add surround cameras, parking sensors in bumpers, module, and wiring. Plus, the parking features isn't very useful in my experience. I've tried it several times and about half the time it exits mid-way through handing control back to me.. And of the times it does self park, often I need to adjust its parking job. IMO it's best suited to parallel parking. And for that it's just so so.

I've pretty much given up on park assist. However, I love surround cameras. Had them in my last 3 cars and they keep getting better.

Skip it and move on, is my recommendation. Next car.
      11-03-2019, 10:27 PM   #4
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
You posted this months ago then today replied to same thread saying you're also interested? OK.

Short answer is no, can't be coded without the required parts installed. Would be an expensive undertaking to add surround cameras, parking sensors in bumpers, module, and wiring. Plus, the parking features isn't very useful in my experience. I've tried it several times and about half the time it exits mid-way through handing control back to me.. And of the times it does self park, often I need to adjust its parking job. IMO it's best suited to parallel parking. And for that it's just so so.

I've pretty much given up on park assist. However, I love surround cameras. Had them in my last 3 cars and they keep getting better.

Agreed. It takes entirely too long anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 05:43 AM   #5
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post

For some reason the original post I put didn't show up my name. I thought it was from another user!! 😂🤦🏻 (Using the app....it's riddled with bugs!)
      11-21-2022, 01:56 PM   #6
BLACKBIRDSR71
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G31, F20, MINI F56

Sorry to resurrect an old post - but I'm curious about this too.

I've recently bought a G31 which has front and rear parking sensors (including two additional sensors on each side of the car). I find it strange that the car isn't equipped/capable of parking assist given these extra sensors.

What is missing in terms of hardware?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 06:12 PM   #7
Lil lady
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Question Parking assistant - aftermarket for 360 views worth it?

Hello. My mom has the 2023 X3 and when she submitted her build last year, parking assist was not an option. She has the standard back up cameras and sensors. When she pushed the Park assist button the white lines and green, yellow, red bars show close she is and her direction for the front of the car. I have read from another thread getting Parking assist aftermarket isn't worth it because it doesn't park the car that well. However, my questions is this:

My mom has vision problems and could really benefit from the additional views the parking assistant cameras offers. (I have the X7 and the 360 degree cameras are awesome) Is it possible to get aftermarket cameras for a 2023 X3?

Anybody have luck with Bimmertech? I googled the question and their link came up but no reviews. I've never posted to this forum but you all clearly know your stuff.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0