BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW and Porsche Just Beat Tesla to Three-Minute Charge With Project "FastCharge"

12-16-2018, 09:19 AM   #67
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDrive View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMon View Post
Wouldn't it be cool to have these fast chargers at various tracks?
I'd love an electric Porsche that can be charged adequately between outings....

That is the problem that needs to be solved for Tesla when they claim their model 3 performance is faster than an M3 around a track. M3 owners reply: maybe for 1 30 min outing, and you're done for the day....
Good point but I don't even think it would be quicker for 30 minutes. Probably more like 10 minutes.
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

30 minutes is not ridiculous but 10 minutes is.

The Tesla Model 3 has a 310 mile range.
Perhaps you are the one who doesn't know what you're talking about.

Quote from a Model 3 track test...

"having plugged in overnight and immediately hit the track with a full 310 miles of range, we could have run just over 30 full-speed laps before needing to unspool the extension cord. Right?

Not exactly. Heat buildup is inevitable. After three or four laps the car begins to reduce power output."

How much time do you figure 3 or 4 laps is? I'm being generous in saying 10 minutes. That's why I'm pointing out that in say, 10 minutes of track time the Model 3 will no longer be competitive with a M3 and you'll be in 4-cylinder Honda Accord territory until the car cools down.
      12-16-2018, 01:53 PM   #68
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Wouldn't it be cool to have these fast chargers at various tracks?
I'd love an electric Porsche that can be charged adequately between outings....

That is the problem that needs to be solved for Tesla when they claim their model 3 performance is faster than an M3 around a track. M3 owners reply: maybe for 1 30 min outing, and you're done for the day....
Good point but I don't even think it would be quicker for 30 minutes. Probably more like 10 minutes.
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

30 minutes is not ridiculous but 10 minutes is.

The Tesla Model 3 has a 310 mile range.
I think you're the one that has no idea...

Perhaps research battery overheating, and come back.
Why don't you... Search away.

The car's battery will not be depleted by 30 minutes of track time.

Tesla's battery chemistry is very well thought out and the Model 3 packs are the most advanced of all.
Quote:
Also the battery packs tend to be liquid cooled. The tesla actually runs a cooling program during charging especially fast charging as the batteries tend to get a little toasty. I think the car can also use its AC system to further cool the loop if needed.
https://jalopnik.com/here-s-what-hap...-th-1827321127

Now go troll somewhere else kids.
Listen old man.

Those are last Gen batteries.

They just keep getting better and better.

I will gladly buy a PHEV M-Car for daily and track duty.

By the time you're dead and gone we'll have full electric M-Cars.
      12-16-2018, 03:43 PM   #69
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Listen old man.

PHEV M-car? Sounds super heavy. But I digress...

Perhaps the future will deliver EVs that can lap a road course with the same speed and endurance as a ICE-powered vehicle, but we simply aren't there yet. Not even close.
      12-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #70
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Listen old man.

Was this directed at me? That may be true, but I'm also not holding my breath and while we wait my 993 keeps going up in value and from where I sit your EV whatever will depreciate faster than it'll go 0-60.
Appreciate 1
________4157.00
      12-16-2018, 07:10 PM   #71
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
Listen old man.

PHEV M-car? Sounds super heavy. But I digress...

Perhaps the future will deliver EVs that can lap a road course with the same speed and endurance as a ICE-powered vehicle, but we simply aren't there yet. Not even close.
Not with a small pack. They're getting lighter and more compact

Similar power-train set up to i8 but w/Turbo 6 cylinder.

Allowing Zero Emission driving in the city.

12-16-2018, 07:46 PM   #72
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:

To each his own, but for me the desire for zero emission driving ranks someplace below having a version of the owner's manual available in a language I can't read.
      12-16-2018, 11:01 PM   #73
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:

To each his own, but for me the desire for zero emission driving ranks someplace below having a version of the owner's manual available in a language I can't read.
Oh absolutely I'm sure most people can give a flying fuck about tomorrow or what will be affecting the next generation but you might wanna consider it. Soon you will not even be able to drive into the city of London unless your car produces zero emissions.

So vote with your wallet buy what you want and buy it now because eventually you will not even be able to purchase it.
      12-17-2018, 08:31 AM   #74
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Thanks but I'm good.

My car can make the trip to the city of London in 1 day... an electric can't.

I'm sure you meant London, Ontario.

Otherwise neither vehicle that I own can make it into London anyway today, I'm sure that's not gonna change, unless Tesla builds a bridge over the Atlantic or the Boring company a tunnel under it.

Appreciate 1
      12-17-2018, 08:42 AM   #75
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Oh absolutely I'm sure most people can give a flying fuck about tomorrow or what will be affecting the next generation but you might wanna consider it. Soon you will not even be able to drive into the city of London unless your car produces zero emissions.

So vote with your wallet buy what you want and buy it now because eventually you will not even be able to purchase it.
The suggestion that folks who don't want to buy or don't think future is secured by EV's shouldn't be considered that they don't care about the planet, pollution or the future. I suspect you'll find very few people who don't care about any of that, but I'm not convinced that there aren't alternatives to shoving EV's and carbon tax down everyone's throats. The rules and regulations are all coming from government, which I for one don't have much faith in or trust of.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2018, 09:07 AM   #76
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh absolutely I'm sure most people can give a flying fuck about tomorrow or what will be affecting the next generation but you might wanna consider it.
My personal vehicle choice will make absolutely zero difference to "tomorrow" or the generations ahead. I actually think it's comical to even insinuate that I could make such an impact one way or the other.
      12-17-2018, 09:15 AM   #77
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh absolutely I'm sure most people can give a flying fuck about tomorrow or what will be affecting the next generation but you might wanna consider it.
My personal vehicle choice will make absolutely zero difference to "tomorrow" or the generations ahead. I actually think it's comical to even insinuate that I could make such an impact one way or the other.
Well if one believes ICE are bad for the environment and electric vehicles are not, then yes your choice would make a difference in that scenario.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 09:25 AM   #78
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:

Son, your politically correct EV produces greenhouse emissions during its manufacture, operation, and eventual recycling. You yourself produce greenhouse emissions every time you exhale. The US EPA was allowed to classify CO2 as a pollutant, so all of us merely by breathing are killing the planet. Put your money where you polluting mouth is and stop driving and yapping on the internet. Give up your smart phone, find some dead grass to make your clothes out of, and don't eat any green plants since they counteract your conversion of Oxygen to a greenhouse gas. Please give the property that you live on back to whatever native people lived on it before you, because we all know that non-tech native people were far better stewards of the planet than we modern humans, especially us grumpy old men with our "LUDDITES RULE THE WORLD" tee-shirts.

And then learn some real science and not rely on the shit they brainwashed you with in school. Stop telling everyone else they are killing the planet and don't give a shit "about the children". It is seriously getting old.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 12-17-2018 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2018, 01:14 PM   #79
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:

Son, your politically correct EV produces greenhouse emissions during its manufacture, operation, and eventual recycling. You yourself produce greenhouse emissions every time you exhale. The US EPA was allowed to classify CO2 as a pollutant, so all of us merely by breathing are killing the planet. Put your money where you polluting mouth is and stop driving and yapping on the internet. Give up your smart phone, find some dead grass to make your clothes out of, and don't eat any green plants since they counteract your conversion of Oxygen to a greenhouse gas. Please give the property that you live on back to whatever native people lived on it before you, because we all know that non-tech native people were far better stewards of the planet than we modern humans, especially us grumpy old men with our "LUDDITES RULE THE WORLD" tee-shirts.

And then learn some real science and not rely on the shit they brainwashed you with in school. Stop telling everyone else they are killing the planet and don't give a shit "about the children". It is seriously getting old.
I guess you are brainwashed yourself you crusty old man.

12-17-2018, 01:16 PM   #80
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

what's with the "crusty old man" stuff?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 01:17 PM   #81
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wow.

Sad you cannot see beyond yourself.

You can or cannot make a little different, but the choice is yours.
      12-17-2018, 01:18 PM   #82
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
Quote:

what's with the "crusty old man" stuff?
Befitting because I am not your son.
      12-17-2018, 01:21 PM   #83
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
Quote:

The suggestion that folks who don't want to buy or don't think future is secured by EV's shouldn't be considered that they don't care about the planet, pollution or the future. I suspect you'll find very few people who don't care about any of that, but I'm not convinced that there aren't alternatives to shoving EV's and carbon tax down everyone's throats. The rules and regulations are all coming from government, which I for one don't have much faith in or trust of.
I can understand your feelings.

I think the self driving is mostly based on insurance and the fact that many youth don't even want to drive.
      12-17-2018, 01:23 PM   #84
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
If you're not aware- whenever specific instances of high-profile environmentalists not acting "green" comes up, the standard retort is that "environmentalism isn't about individual choices. It is about enacting systemic change." So don't blame me for following the creed of the environmental loons!
      12-17-2018, 01:30 PM   #85
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
If you're not aware- whenever specific instances of high-profile environmentalists not acting "green" comes up, the standard retort is that "environmentalism isn't about individual choices. It is about enacting systemic change." So don't blame me for following the creed of the environmental loons!
I all adds up.

It's actually a collective effort.
      12-17-2018, 03:46 PM   #86
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Not exactly. Heat buildup is inevitable. After three or four laps the car begins to reduce power output."

How much time do you figure 3 or 4 laps is? I'm being generous in saying 10 minutes. That's why I'm pointing out that in say, 10 minutes of track time the Model 3 will no longer be competitive with a M3 and you'll be in 4-cylinder Honda Accord territory until the car cools down.
There are some gas powered sports cars that can't do 3-4 laps on track either. Cars such as the Civic Type R, BMW 335i, Nissan 370Z, Corvette Z06.

In the end, you are using a car for something it's not designed to do - track. Very few cars do well at track.

The message here is do not buy a Model 3 for track use. I doubt 99.5% of Model 3 buyers ever go to a track.
      12-17-2018, 03:47 PM   #87
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Quote:

There are some gas powered sports cars that can't do 3-4 laps on track either. Cars such as the Civic Type R, BMW 335i, Nissan 370Z.

In the end, you are using a car for something it's not designed to do - track. Very few cars do well at track.

The message here is do not buy a Model 3 for track use. I doubt 99.5% of Model 3 buyers ever go to a track.
From a person that has never been to a track...

Lol at the inaccuracy of this post
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 03:53 PM   #88
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
From a person that has never been to a track...

Lol at the inaccuracy of this post
Ok, which is inaccurate? All the gas cars I've listed have overheating issues regarding track use. It is well documented.

CTR overheat:
https://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?...tem_id=1329332

335i overheating:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412156

370Z overheat:
https://my350z.com/forum/2009-370z/4...d-courses.html

Corvette Z06 overheating:
https://jalopnik.com/fourth-class-ac...-go-1823190855

And for Model 3 users going to the track? Why would you take a car to a track that can only do 10 minutes of track time before it overheats?