BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding OpenPilot for BMW!!!

06-05-2020, 09:08 AM   #1
GermanCarGuy
Rep
Drives: 2018 540d x-Drive

OpenPilot for BMW!!!

If you want Tesla level autonomy on your BMW I just launched a campaign to get OpenPilot on out vehicles. Only requirement is Electronic Power Steering (G30) and radar cruise. If you want to help in the project in any way, please PM me and I will bring you in as a team member.

https://www.gofundme.com/FlexRayOP
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 12:28 PM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanCarGuy View Post
If you want Tesla level autonomy on your BMW I just launched a campaign to get OpenPilot on out vehicles. Only requirement is Electronic Power Steering (G30) and radar cruise. If you want to help in the project in any way, please PM me and I will bring you in as a team member.

Why don't you just buy a Tesla?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 12:31 PM   #3
GermanCarGuy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:

Why don't you just buy a Tesla?
Because I have a significant investment in my BMW and it's a very solid comfortable vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 01:47 PM   #4
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Because I have a significant investment in my BMW and it's a very solid comfortable vehicle.
I doubt it is possible without huge expense. My 2018 G30 has the advanced safety features and every time I turn on the lane assistant it makes me nervous (so I rarely turn it on). If BMW can't make a car that can safely stay in its lane while avoiding the cars alongside it, what makes you think it can replicate the Tesla experience.

Enjoy your car for what it is. For every car there will always be features that it doesn't have that we wish it had. For example, I wouldn't buy a Tesla Model 3 because I don't want to have to look sideways to see my speed, etc.

I live in hot Arizona and my favorite feature on my BMW is that I can use the phone app to turn on my AC. So when I am playing golf, I can take out my phone after the 17th hole and turn on the AC. By the time I get to the car, it is comfortable. I don't believe that Tesla offers this feature.

So...do your research and pick the car that meets the most important of your needs. Once you have done that, as you have, don't spend time wishing you had something else but enjoy the features of the car you do have.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 01:49 PM   #5
GermanCarGuy
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I doubt it is possible without huge expense. My 2018 G30 has the advanced safety features and every time I turn on the lane assistant it makes me nervous (so I rarely turn it on). If BMW can't make a car that can safely stay in its lane while avoiding the cars alongside it, what makes you think it can replicate the Tesla experience.

Enjoy your car for what it is. For every car there will always be features that it doesn't have that we wish it had. For example, I wouldn't buy a Tesla Model 3 because I don't want to have to look sideways to see my speed, etc.

I live in hot Arizona and my favorite feature on my BMW is that I can use the phone app to turn on my AC. So when I am playing golf, I can take out my phone after the 17th hole and turn on the AC. By the time I get to the car, it is comfortable. I don't believe that Tesla offers this feature.

So...do your research and pick the car that meets the most important of your needs. Once you have done that, as you have, don't spend time wishing you had something else but enjoy the features of the car you do have.
It's more than possible by getting in line with the electronic power steering motor we will be able to do man in the middle from open pilot and if you're not familiar with open pilot please do some research on comma.ai. I've already done OP on a dozen vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 04:44 PM   #6
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

I wish this concept would go away. Don't even like adaptive cruise control. I bought a BMW because I wanted to drive it. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 05:06 PM   #7
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's more than possible by getting in line with the electronic power steering motor we will be able to do man in the middle from open pilot and if you're not familiar with open pilot please do some research on comma.ai. I've already done OP on a dozen vehicles.
Aside from the fact that I like to drive my car, open pilot doesn't let you drive more than 5 mph or so greater than the speed limit. In Arizona, radar doesn't issue a ticket unless you are more than 10 miles over the speed limit. This means that everyone drives at least 9 miles over the speed limit. i am not about to become a Prius driver.

There are other features (?) as well that I can do without such as the camera staring at the driver.

I will pass but good luck to you.

Last edited by SteveinArizona; 06-07-2020 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 08:34 PM   #8
Starbot1
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord

Quote:
Quote:

To be sure, the model 3 can turn on the climate system fully by remote. Far more so than my 2017 G30...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 02:46 AM   #9
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Aside from the fact that I like to drive my car, open pilot doesn't let you drive more than 5 mph or so greater than the speed limit. In Arizona, radar doesn't issue a ticket unless you are more than 10 miles over the speed limit. This means that everyone drives at least 9 miles over the speed limit. i am not about to become a Prius driver.

There are other features (?) as well that I can do without such as the camera staring at the driver.

I will pass but good luck to you.
The native BMW automatic Speed Limit Assistant allows you to drive up to 10 MPH over the speed limit.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 09:59 AM   #10
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbot1 View Post
To be sure, the model 3 can turn on the climate system fully by remote. Far more so than my 2017 G30...
To be sure but we are not talking about a Tesla, we are talking about installing/activating open pilot on a BMW. The BMW feature only works on the phev models as it runs the AC off the electric battery, not the ICE.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 09:27 PM   #11
vinch9292
China
Rep
Drives: BMW 530Le G38

Quote:
Quote:
To be sure but we are not talking about a Tesla, we are talking about installing/activating open pilot on a BMW. The BMW feature only works on the phev models as it runs the AC off the electric battery, not the ICE.
Quote:
Quote:
My 530e can remote activate AC provided battery level above 20% (I think).
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 06:29 AM   #12
edtreo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

Quote:

Any update?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 04:28 PM   #13
Ginjutsu
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 320i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtreo View Post
Any update?
Was wondering the same thing. This is something I'm insanely interested in adding to my car (I know this topic is specifically for G30 models, but I think any attention given to BMWs from developers of OpenPilot would only be a good thing).
Appreciate 0