BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Help needed - Carplay

11-03-2019, 12:09 PM   #1
yaataa
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Help needed - Carplay

Recently I tried to unlock Carplay with a .BIN file in a USB stick and found that the software version in my car doesn't allow me to install anything with a USB.

Is it possible to do it with the Bimmercode app with the OBD hardware?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 10:36 PM   #2
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaataa View Post
Recently I tried to unlock Carplay with a .BIN file in a USB stick and found that the software version in my car doesn't allow me to install anything with a USB.

Is it possible to do it with the Bimmercode app with the OBD hardware?

Thanks
This cannot be coded using BimmerCode or via USB with the current firmware versions. It will have to be coded using an ENET cable. There are several places online that offer remote coding along with the ENET cable (which you can buy off of Amazon). Activating CarPlay or widescreen CarPlay requires changes to the CarPlay.ini file on the head unit.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 08:25 AM   #3
fairlylarge
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

I'm interested in activating CarPlay, however I've heard some stories that if the dealer performs any work/upgrade on the iDrive system then they may ask for ridiculous amounts of money to replace the entire unit.

Whilst my car is under warranty I'm slightly worried about this. You'll have to excuse my ignorance, it's all new to me, is there any way that CarPlay can be activated legitimately since the WiFi antenna has been retrofitted already?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 11:09 AM   #4
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlylarge View Post
I'm interested in activating CarPlay, however I've heard some stories that if the dealer performs any work/upgrade on the iDrive system then they may ask for ridiculous amounts of money to replace the entire unit.

Whilst my car is under warranty I'm slightly worried about this. You'll have to excuse my ignorance, it's all new to me, is there any way that CarPlay can be activated legitimately since the WiFi antenna has been retrofitted already?

Cheers.
You don't have anything to worry about.
Appreciate 0