BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Apple car play subscription

06-26-2019, 03:45 AM   #1
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

Apple car play subscription

I am getting to know my new car and loving the apple car play integration. A much safer way to operate the phone hands free for sure.

What I’m not crazy about at all is the fact BMW is now banging me out an additional $8o dollars a year on my 2019 5 series for the subscription in year 2 and 3. I let them know my displeasure regarding this in my survey. It was free in my 2017 BMW 5 series.

I have cars that cost 1/4 of what This car cost and CarPlay is baked in at no charge. This is a shameful money grab and we are being taken advantage of. I did not purchase any Audi’s subscription services as I felt the same way yet they include car play free. My Infiniti came with a concierge at no charge and then the following lease it was charged for after year one I dropped that as well and let them know my displeasure. It was a great service I used to send directions to the car, make dinner reservations and get hotel reservations while driving. They eventually came around after many complained and extended the services at no charge. It was a big deal on the fresh alloy forum. Let’s let bmw know we’re not Happy being pick pocketed on car play and perhaps things will change.

If you agree let BMW know and perhaps they will respond.

I dislike additional expenses that are unnecessary. This is one service I use and feel I need yet I feel it should be included.

If we don’t let them know we are in for me service charges in the future. The way things are going your next BMW will come with AC but after March you will pay 15 dollars a month for it to blow cold. The opposite for heat in the winter. And, your horn will be installed but you will only get 10 honks a month and after that you will pay .10 per honk.

Really BMW get out Of my pocket. I want more value for my money I’m spending on a luxury vehicle not more service fees.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited by jsf721; 06-26-2019 at 04:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 07:15 AM   #2
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
I am getting to know my new car and loving the apple car play integration. A much safer way to operate the phone hands free for sure.

What I'm not crazy about at all is the fact BMW is now banging me out an additional $8o dollars a year on my 2019 5 series for the subscription in year 2 and 3. I let them know my displeasure regarding this in my survey. It was free in my 2017 BMW 5 series.

I have cars that cost 1/4 of what This car cost and CarPlay is baked in at no charge. This is a shameful money grab and we are being taken advantage of. I did not purchase any Audi's subscription services as I felt the same way yet they include car play free. My Infiniti came with a concierge at no charge and then the following lease it was charged for after year one I dropped that as well and let them know my displeasure. It was a great service I used to send directions to the car, make dinner reservations and get hotel reservations while driving. They eventually came around after many complained and extended the services at no charge. It was a big deal on the fresh alloy forum. Let's let bmw know we're not Happy being pick pocketed on car play and perhaps things will change.

If you agree let BMW know and perhaps they will respond.

I dislike additional expenses that are unnecessary. This is one service I use and feel I need yet I feel it should be included.

If we don't let them know we are in for me service charges in the future. The way things are going your next BMW will come with AC but after March you will pay 15 dollars a month for it to blow cold. The opposite for heat in the winter. And, your horn will be installed but you will only get 10 honks a month and after that you will pay .10 per honk.

Really BMW get out Of my pocket. I want more value for my money I'm spending on a luxury vehicle not more service fees.

Just my thoughts.
It wasn't free before. You paid $300 (20 years) for it with the purchase of the vehicle which is basically about the same as four years worth of service.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 10:04 AM   #3
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

I may be incorrect but I was not charged for it in my 2017 and it’s there and operating. Never got a bill from anyone so I thought I was free. My point is I don’t like the subscription models and was successful getting Infiniti to walk theirs back.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 01:40 PM   #4
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
I may be incorrect but I was not charged for it in my 2017 and it's there and operating. Never got a bill from anyone so I thought I was free. My point is I don't like the subscription models and was successful getting Infiniti to walk theirs back.
Look on your window sticker if you still have it. I had a '17 X6 and know what you're referring to. It's on there. In 2018 they removed the $300 one-time charge and moved to a subscription model.

This is the way the industry is heading - just like computer software. Better get used to it.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 11:08 AM   #5
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Look on your window sticker if you still have it. I had a '17 X6 and know what you're referring to. It's on there. In 2018 they removed the $300 one-time charge and moved to a subscription model.

This is the way the industry is heading - just like computer software. Better get used to it.
It's not even just this industry or computer software, but products/services as a whole have moved or are moving to a subscription based model. Hell, even Amazon will default your purchase option to a subscription (buy monthly and save 8%) instead of a one time purchase on some items.

What's interesting is consumers do not like subscriptions and there is research coming out showing the sentiment towards subscription models (even if they're only a few bucks per month). So it will be interesting to see how companies/corporations react to their not so happy customer base in the next few years.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 12:02 PM   #6
NCMMichael
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i

I don't like it either but understand why they are doing it. I assume bmw has to pay a fee per car play user. Like it or not that cost will be buried some where. With a subscription model they're not paying for drivers that do not want to use it. You wouldn't feel $80 hidden into a lease/finance payment so I get the rub when you have to pull your wallet out again, but it's simple math when it comes down to it. I don't want to pay the $80 when my first year is up, but I will. It's a great feature. The fact that it's wireless is even better. In my A7 you could only use CarPlay when plugged into the USB port.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 01:45 PM   #7
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

I don’t have the window sticker. Does anyone now where I can pull one for free with my vin ?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 03:47 PM   #8
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
I may be wrong but I believe in the ConnectedDrive portal, BMW brought back the one payment option and I think there was a post about it in a thread so there is the one time payment if you want it.

But as for it being free, it never was. It was either a standalone option in some markets or built into a package.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 06:43 PM   #9
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
I may be wrong but I believe in the ConnectedDrive portal, BMW brought back the one payment option and I think there was a post about it in a thread so there is the one time payment if you want it.

But as for it being free, it never was. It was either a standalone option in some markets or built into a package.
Even if they brought it back, which i think they did for a while, it's still going to cost $300 for 20 years. If you lease your car or only keep it for 3 years it's cheaper to go with the subscription model. I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but about 90% of the BMWs sold in Houston are leased. I purchased mine and would prefer the one-time charge like I did on my '17 X6.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 02:31 PM   #10
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Since I bought the car to keep for many years, the shockingly high $300 admittance fee might be better justifiable. However, I passed on it but may revisit is CarPlay on the upcoming iOS 13 is a substantial improvement over the half baked version we have today.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0