BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing Damaged part on N63tu2?

01-22-2024, 10:25 PM   #1
Zwmack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2016 X5  [0.00]
I have the unfortunate circumstance of living in New England. Over the past few days we had some snow and frigid temps. Anyways on a spirited drive, a rubber tire with some other debris was in the road. The car in front of me swerved out of the way but by the time I saw it I couldn't avoid it. Initially it looked like it was just the lip and the front lower driverside grill. However when I went in for a closer look I saw more damage. I smelled some coolant and looked behind the grill to find the damage in the pictures attached. I checked the main coolant reservoir, after the car had sufficiently cooled down and it was max, but when checked the auxiliary reservoir, it was bone dry.

A few questions for the community, appreciate your help in advance.

1) is this the auxiliary coolant system that's damaged? It looks like a radiator to me but it's my first N63tu2 and I'm not sure because the more I read, the more I see that this may be the front mount heat exchanger. If someone could tell me what exactly is pictured with the damage that would be awesome... Part numbers would be even more awesome! Lol

2)if this is the front mount heat exchanger, maybe this is time for a performance upgrade. Any suggestions for a good power increase? Csf? Vrsf? Silver linings right? I can't seem to find any upgrades for the coolant system for N63tu2 vehicles.

Also, anyone have an idea on the cost to replace one of these, (meaning labor cost, I can Google the cost of the parts) I'm in the US.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0