BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Beware, Auto Braking is Dangerous!

07-14-2017, 04:39 AM   #1
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Beware, Auto Braking is Dangerous!

So, as I discovered soon after I got my car in Feb, autobraking is automatic if a pedestrian or obstruction is detected in front of the car... radar and cameras are used

A bit disconcerting if you are following a bus slowly and the car slams on brakes for you and gives you whiplash when it is totally unnecessary... but this week I had an even bigger shock

So I am going along a road at about 40mph with a car close on my tail (but still safe)... and I pass pedestrians on the pavement to my left, not on the road.... and out of the blue the cameras detect these and slam on anchors even though the pedestrian is NOT in my line of travel... crapped myself as the beeps went mad and the brakes automatically and violently engaged... and the driver behind me nearly popped a rivet, thinking I'm driving like a learner driver... nearly crashed into my rear

Just be prepared for an over-sensitive technology... I think it's dangerous myself!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 05:18 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

can any of that behaviour be changed in the idrive?
I have seen pictures showing some warnings can be changed from early etc so just wondering how much we can change (if any)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 05:29 AM   #3
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
can any of that behaviour be changed in the idrive?
I have seen pictures showing some warnings can be changed from early etc so just wondering how much we can change (if any)
Yes, you can change the warning from 'early' to medium or later (or words to that effect)... I have not changed it just yet, but will do so tonight

You can't disable it as far as I know (I would not want to, I want it work as advertised though)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 05:50 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedpause View Post
Just be prepared for an over-sensitive technology... I think it's dangerous myself!
And cars are going to drive themselves... Yeah!
Appreciate 2
gpitts247.00
mfstrby99.50
      07-14-2017, 05:52 AM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

another question. do you have the driving assitant plus, essentially asking if you have the radar under the front bumper for the ACC

From what I've read in the technical manuals (on this website) it suggests that the car uses this along with the camera to determine what is going on outside and hence presumably does a better job as a result. So wondering if this issue was detected solely by camera alone?

Certianly a concern as you don't want the car stopping every time it passes pedestrians!

interested in how you get on with this. My G30 should be with me in a couple of weeks so keen to see how all of this works.
I like to think I wil drive to the extent that none of the systems will ever kick in and that they are a last resort. On my F10 , I had the braking kikc in a handful of times over the 5 years I've owned it and everytime it was down to a car tunring away from me at a roundabout.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 08:05 AM   #6
G30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xdrive

Quote:
another question. do you have the driving assitant plus, essentially asking if you have the radar under the front bumper for the ACC

From what I've read in the technical manuals (on this website) it suggests that the car uses this along with the camera to determine what is going on outside and hence presumably does a better job as a result. So wondering if this issue was detected solely by camera alone?

Certianly a concern as you don't want the car stopping every time it passes pedestrians!

interested in how you get on with this. My G30 should be with me in a couple of weeks so keen to see how all of this works.
I like to think I wil drive to the extent that none of the systems will ever kick in and that they are a last resort. On my F10 , I had the braking kikc in a handful of times over the 5 years I've owned it and everytime it was down to a car tunring away from me at a roundabout.

I don't have the driving assistance plus and my car did this while I was doing a U-turn. No cars in sight beside the parked cars. While reversing it slammed on the brakes, I almost shat myself. I had no idea what happened I thought I hit a car. After changing the setting to delayed I have not had this issues since.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 04:27 PM   #7
Shakespere
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: Bmw G30 530D xdrive

Have had the car with the advance pack since march 30 and never experienced anything like that. Nor have I heard anyone speak of it. Can it be an issue just with your car?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 06:30 AM   #8
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

I have my settings on early detection. I have passed many pedestrians in my neighborhood and never stopped me. I have seen warning twice on windshield but car never stopped
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 12:12 PM   #9
BiGFather
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive Mperformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
I have my settings on early detection. I have passed many pedestrians in my neighborhood and never stopped me. I have seen warning twice on windshield but car never stopped
I got "standard" / "normal" or whats normal..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 12:24 PM   #10
BobRBob
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540ix, Dark Graphite

What does the warning look like? Just once I saw a red warning pictogram flash on the dashboard (didn't notice it in the HUD if it was there) but it has never happened again and I didn't know what it was. Could this have been the auto braking? I don't recall if the brakes were applied at the time.
2011 528i Cashmere Silver/Black Dakota
2001 530i Sport (deceased)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 08:29 PM   #11
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
So, as I discovered soon after I got my car in Feb, autobraking is automatic if a pedestrian or obstruction is detected in front of the car... radar and cameras are used

A bit disconcerting if you are following a bus slowly and the car slams on brakes for you and gives you whiplash when it is totally unnecessary... but this week I had an even bigger shock

So I am going along a road at about 40mph with a car close on my tail (but still safe)... and I pass pedestrians on the pavement to my left, not on the road.... and out of the blue the cameras detect these and slam on anchors even though the pedestrian is NOT in my line of travel... crapped myself as the beeps went mad and the brakes automatically and violently engaged... and the driver behind me nearly popped a rivet, thinking I'm driving like a learner driver... nearly crashed into my rear

There would appear to be calibration issue with yours? I would go have it checked out. It should not pick up any pedestrian or vehicles that isn't in your line of travel.

I've had this function on various BMWs now for a couple of years and have never had this issue. In fact, it saved me from an accident in the i3 just a week ago. I was going slowly at maybe 30kmh in traffic and got distracted by a bicycle merging towards me from the left. As I look to my left the car in front stopped suddenly due to another car suddenly stopping in front of him to do an illegal right turn (into McDonald's of all places) and the car beeped and started the emergency braking process before I then took over the braking. If I didn't have this feature it would have been a rear end accident. I'm all for these tech!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 05:01 AM   #12
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
another question. do you have the driving assistant plus, essentially asking if you have the radar under the front bumper for the ACC

Hi, no I don't have that option... I do have extra cameras at the rear view mirror though, and what looks like a radar/infrared cover in the space between the kidney grills. The only extra I got (over standard) was Auto Head Beam (called something else I know) which uses cameras to detect lights...

But other than than, no ACC or other non standard stuff.

I would point out that it does often beep and show on screen and NOT brake...

I suspect in hind sight that what happened was I was on a slight curve, which made the car think I was about to hit the pedestrian, road was not dead straight
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 05:05 AM   #13
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRBob View Post
What does the warning look like? .
Flashing red pictogram right in the centre of the dials in front of me, I think a triangle with dots inside

As I mentioned below, it could be because:
a) It is set to 'early'
b) I now recall it was an ever so slight curvature in the road, meaning that the pedestrians could have been detected as head on...

Will change the strictness of the setting and see how it goes (Lane departure warning works fine)
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 05:06 AM   #14
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
The pedestrians were right on the pavement edge, about 15" from edge of car
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 05:34 AM   #15
HansC.
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e

Mine, with assistant plus/advanced package, is giving me way too many warnings without reason (especially on fast twisty roads in the Italian Alps) - But it has never slammed the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 07:18 AM   #16
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansC. View Post
Mine, with assistant plus/advanced package, is giving me way too many warnings without reason (especially on fast twisty roads in the Italian Alps) - But it has never slammed the brakes.
Could it be lane departure warnings as opposed to collision warning perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 01:43 AM   #17
HansC.
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e

Quote:
Could it be lane departure warnings as opposed to collision warning perhaps?
No, definitely not lane departure warnings; I have the red warning between the dials. Mostly the warning occurs in hairpins' apex where one arguably would have oncoming traffic in one’s path.. but that’s just not good enough for a high-end system like this.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 02:04 PM   #18
Laki021
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

And does not brake when it should...
Yesterday I hit the lamp post while parking the car... (it was practically invisible to me, dead angle, thin, grey, right next to the parking spot).
In iDrive the option to brake automatically during reversing while parking is on, yet again, it let me hit it. I think it even did brake, but to late (it was beeping, but I thought it's beeping because of the car behind) . Now I have a nice scratch on my bumper
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 12:50 AM   #19
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki021 View Post
And does not brake when it should...
Yesterday I hit the lamp post while parking the car... (it was practically invisible to me, dead angle, thin, grey, right next to the parking spot).
In iDrive the option to brake automatically during reversing while parking is on, yet again, it let me hit it. I think it even did brake, but to late (it was beeping, but I thought it's beeping because of the car behind) . Now I have a nice scratch on my bumper
Sorry to hear that .
I have noticed that when reversing in the garage the car stops every time I back up .It detects the old tires to prevent the car from hitting those and the car stops . I slightly feather the gas pedal just above its resistance point and the car slowly moves backwards .
I think you should engage Auto Hold or there's an option in parking menu to prevent the car from hitting things behind .I think the latter's more something to do with it than it's to do with Auto Hold
      07-26-2017, 04:35 AM   #20
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:

Just out of curiosity...

"At about 40mph" - were you traveling above or below 40mph?

Your experience was that it slammed on the anchors AFTER you passed the pedestrians? Were the pedestrians making any movement like that of walking or were they relatively if not completely stationary?

FWIW the maximum Deceleration above 15mph for a car without ACC is 4m/s. It's not abrupt at all. If you have parking assistant, there is rear collision mitigation as well.

Quote:
Hi, no I don't have that option... I do have extra cameras at the rear view mirror though, and what looks like a radar/infrared cover in the space between the kidney grills. The only extra I got (over standard) was Auto Head Beam (called something else I know) which uses cameras to detect lights...

But other than than, no ACC or other non standard stuff.

I would point out that it does often beep and show on screen and NOT brake...

I suspect in hind sight that what happened was I was on a slight curve, which made the car think I was about to hit the pedestrian, road was not dead straight
The cover between the grills is not a radar/infrared sensor. It would house the front camera if your car has surround view camera. Otherwise it's simply a black trim piece. Your car does have Active Guard (the two cameras mounted at the top of the windshield).

Quote:
Flashing red pictogram right in the centre of the dials in front of me, I think a triangle with dots inside

As I mentioned below, it could be because:
a) It is set to 'early'
b) I now recall it was an ever so slight curvature in the road, meaning that the pedestrians could have been detected as head on...

Will change the strictness of the setting and see how it goes (Lane departure warning works fine)
The Pedestrian Warning Pictogram is not dots...

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 04:57 AM   #21
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Just out of curiosity...

Your experience was that it slammed on the anchors AFTER you passed the pedestrians? Were the pedestrians making any movement like that of walking or were they relatively if not completely stationary?

FWIW the maximum Deceleration above 15mph for a car without ACC is 4m/s. It's not abrupt at all. If you have parking assistant, there is rear collision mitigation as well.

The cover between the grills is not a radar/infrared sensor. It would house the front camera if your car has surround view camera. Otherwise it's simply a black trim piece. Your car does have Active Guard (the two cameras mounted at the top of the windshield).

I must have been doing below 40mph, pedestrians were walking away from me up the hill I was travelling up the hill behind them
It slammed on anchors BEFORE I would have hit the pedestrians (had they actually been in my line of travel)

Noted on the sensor, makes sense (pun not intended)... I was aware of the Active Guard

The warning - to be honest I did not make full account of the warning pictogram, I was busy dealing with a WTF moment

I've set the car to late warning now so hopefully I will keep my lunch down...

Last edited by jedpause; 07-26-2017 at 06:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 05:21 AM   #22
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Just out of curiosity...

[IMG]https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/ima...eo-65164_1.png[/IMG]
I must have been doing below 40mph
It slammed on anchors BEFORE I would have hit the pedestrians had they actually been in my line of travel

Noted on the sensor, make sense (pun not intended)... I was aware of the Active Guard

The warning - to be honest I did not make full account of the warning pictogram, I was busy dealing with a WTF moment

I've set the car to late warning now so hopefully I will keep my lunch down...
It would have to be well below 40mph, since the threshold to potentially avoid a collision is 45 km/h. It will still activate at up to 60km/h, but again the deceleration is only 4m/s (8.95 mph per second) which is insufficient to prevent a collision but will "mitigate" the severity.

If you go out for a drive, find a straight road with no traffic. Set the cruise control to 40mph. Then, press and HOLD the decel button. This is the same rate at which Active Guard decelerates at above 20mph. It isn't abrupt at all. Setting the Warning level only affects the aural and visual indicators. It doesn't change the actual semi-autonomous interventions.
Appreciate 0