BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Are USA cars free ??? (almost)

12-02-2018, 10:15 PM   #1
Symo
Where is the Earth Shattering Ka Boom?
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30 540i Mediterranean Blue

Are USA cars free ??? (almost)

Excellent forum - thanks for letting me in

I have been reading these threads on the cost of a tricked up BMW in the USA and it is bringing tears to my eyes. They almost seem free.

I recently ordered my M540i and taking it up on a commercial hire purchase deal.

Purchase price is $150,026.99
Deposit paid at time of order was $5,000.00
10% balloon (final payment) of $14,500

This all works out to
59 payments of $2,595 pm
1 final payment of $14,500 - but at the end of the deal the car is mine and able to use to trade into a new car (making the new purchase less expensive) or just drive it till it drops by handing it over to the kids and buy a new one.

I read on here you guys in the USA have monthly leasing costs of $500... we cant but a POS Toyota here for that.

I hope to collect the car late Jan 19 and the car is optioned

MY2019 M540i Mediterranean Blue
Black Nappa
Innovative package
Display Key
Remote Control Parking
Gesture Control
Indulgence Package
Soft Close doors
Massage function font seats
TV
Rear Seat entertainment professional
M sport package
M sport Brakes
20" wheels (2QR)
Adaptive drive
Comfort seats
Aluminium Rhombical Trim (5K7)
Led fog Lights
M Leather steering wheel
M Aero Dynamics Pack
High Gloss shadow line
Anthracite roof
Connected drive
Connected drive services
Realtime traffic
Concierge service
Remote services
Steering wheel heating
Run Flat tyres
TPMS
Comfort Access with auto boot
Glass roof
Roller sun blinds
Active seat ventilation
Seat heat front and rear
4 zone climate control
Ambient air
Ceramic controls
Ambient light
Headlight washer
Adaptive LED headlights
High Beam assist
Parking assistant plus
Professional Nav
Heads up
CD, DAB & radio
Intelligent emergency call
Apple Car play
B&W audio
Night Vision

So, it has a bit in it but this car in the USA (taking into account exchange rates), would be $100K tops I would think.

Here Tax on new cars is high too, included in the $150,000 purchase price cost we pay
$17,000 Luxury Car Tax
$7,300 Stamp duty
$11,300 GST
$3,000 in other mic fees

Cant wait for the car to get here - happy to post some pics when the car arrives if any one is interested.

Love to see some pics of the rear seat climate controls if anyone out there has the 4 Zone air. is it just a dial or a colour touch screen like the climate is in the front. Also I would like to know if I would be able to adjust rear seat temperatures and settings from the front if possible and lock the young kids out from playing with them.

Thanks in anticipation of any replies.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 10:39 PM   #2
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
US usually have much better car px vs Asia... Taiwan used to have 2.5 X US price (20+ years ago) think nowadays it's like 1.5X...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 11:35 PM   #3
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

First that is a loaded car (congrats) and some of those options we don't have available in US like headlight washers etc.
Just for fun I configured a US 540ix with EVERY option available in the configurator. The most expensive 540 you could get from configurator is around $95,000. That doesn't include things like special IND paint for $5,200.
You are paying almost $40,00 in taxes. We are paying under 10% sales tax depending on state. My state only charges 4.5% tax on cars.
      12-03-2018, 12:18 AM   #4
Symo
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
First that is a loaded car (congrats) and some of those options we don't have available in US like headlight washers etc.
Just for fun I configured a US 540ix with EVERY option available in the configurator. The most expensive 540 you could get from configurator is around $95,000. That doesn't include things like special IND paint for $5,200.
You are paying almost $40,00 in taxes. We are paying under 10% sales tax depending on state. My state only charges 4.5% tax on cars.
Thanks saporitj. The headlight washer is an option in its own right but included as part of the night vision system, so the dealer added it when night vision was ordered.

We cant buy the 550i here sadly or would have gone that way however the 540 is fast enough I think. I did consider the M5 Competition however I didn't want to stand out in the crowd and the M5 Competition would have every boy racer out there wanting to line me up.

I'm excited waiting for the car and hope to have the ship name provided to me next week so I can start to track it. The car rolled off the line on 26th November in Steyr so by next week it will be well on its way.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 01:15 AM   #5
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Your welcome. I like your colors. I'm waiting on my 540ix M sport in Mediterranean blue with Tartufo Merino leather. It's on a ship arriving Dec 9. I was looking for a luxury sport sedan that handled well and had pep. The 540ix with M sport options was a perfect choice. Not going to a track so m550 and M5 were overkill for me NOW.
      12-03-2018, 07:57 AM   #6
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Does your post reflect the value of the Australian dollar vs. US dollar? $ 100,000 US dollars is currently worth $ 135,528 Australian dollars so the $150,000 is high but not outrageously high.

Of course, if you did the conversion, then the discrepancy is dramatic.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 05:27 PM   #7
Symo
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Does your post reflect the value of the Australian dollar vs. US dollar? $ 100,000 US dollars is currently worth $ 135,528 Australian dollars so the $150,000 is high but not outrageously high.

I'm not sure a car with my specification would cost in the USA, 100K is just a guess. Looking at dealer prices at US BMW dealers on line I would think it would be well under 100K as I have seen tricked up M550 for 80K and M540's for high 60's but not knowing the specification level its hard to judge. That's why I listed my car level in some detail as some one may have bought similar and could offer guidance.

The dealer RRP for my car, based purely on the book price for the car with options was $203,000, I then talked the dealer down to $161 and change. Not happy with that price I gave the spec to a broker who got me the car for $150,00.

But looking t pricing here and there, we are 30% more expensive taking exchange rates into account - I would guess
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 06:34 PM   #8
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You could never get the car you spec above for high $60k. You have a pretty loaded car there. I ordered a 540ix M sport with similar options (a little less). Your biggest option looks like b&w. Mine would be the Merino leather and leather dash. My car was base $61k plus about $20k in options. But then I got dealer to discount it $10.5k. Big difference is tax's. Mine are around $2.5k and yours are $40k.
      12-03-2018, 06:57 PM   #9
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
A build similar to yours is about $80k us/$108k aus
Appreciate 1
Symo60.50
      12-05-2018, 10:01 PM   #10
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post

I'm not sure a car with my specification would cost in the USA, 100K is just a guess. Looking at dealer prices at US BMW dealers on line I would think it would be well under 100K as I have seen tricked up M550 for 80K and M540's for high 60's but not knowing the specification level its hard to judge. That's why I listed my car level in some detail as some one may have bought similar and could offer guidance.

The dealer RRP for my car, based purely on the book price for the car with options was $203,000, I then talked the dealer down to $161 and change. Not happy with that price I gave the spec to a broker who got me the car for $150,00.

But looking t pricing here and there, we are 30% more expensive taking exchange rates into account - I would guess
One thing to remember - US pricing you see online never includes state and local taxes (equivalent of VAT in Europe) which differ by state and how the vehicle is purchased (purchase vs lease). Some models also have additional fees such a gas guzzler tax. Finally exchange rates fluctuate over the years and salaries - take home pay levels - are completely different between countries and that is not even considering where that take home pay has to go to. Global companies that want to remain global need to consider all these including the importance of a market based on volume.

Point being, just looking at a price at a specific point in time at a different country without considering a lot of other variables makes little sense and it is too simplistic.
Appreciate 1
Symo60.50