BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Using a mobile device as a wifi hotspot

12-07-2018, 06:56 AM   #1
christopheaus
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

Question Using a mobile device as a wifi hotspot

Hello to all,

I bought a 2017 G30 530i a couple of months ago. It's great but one small thing bugs me.

I have lots of data on my work cell phone and, in my other vehicle, use it as a hotspot for my iPhone to play Spotify etc.

However, in the BMW, as soon as I turn on wifi on my iPhone it connects to iDrive and/or Apple Car Play instead of the hotspot from my work cell phone. When I try to select the hotspot via my iPhone it initially works but automatically switches back to the iDrive/Apple Car Play within a couple of minutes.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by christopheaus; 12-07-2018 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: correcting reference to BMW
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 07:25 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I assume you specified enhance Bluetooth which includes a wifi hotspot but my understanding is that you have to enable it with a subscription. So is this what you have? Or did you not specific that and the car is still advertising a WiFi hotspot none the less? (I will have to try this out on my car)

Either way is there a way of disabling the WiFi hotspot within the idrive? That's assuming you don't want to use it at all?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 07:26 AM   #3
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Go into your phones wifi settings and tell it to forget the cars wifi and it won't auto connect anymore
      12-07-2018, 08:15 AM   #4
christopheaus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach550 View Post
Go into your phones wifi settings and tell it to forget the cars wifi and it won't auto connect anymore
Thanks - but I think I need the phone to be able to connect to the wifi in the car otherwise Apple Car Play won't work when choose for it to...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 08:18 AM   #5
christopheaus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I assume you specified enhance Bluetooth which includes a wifi hotspot but my understanding is that you have to enable it with a subscription. So is this what you have? Or did you not specific that and the car is still advertising a WiFi hotspot none the less? (I will have to try this out on my car)

Either way is there a way of disabling the WiFi hotspot within the idrive? That's assuming you don't want to use it at all?
Thanks - the car is fully optioned and does have an option in the iDrive menu to turn off wifi - however, I think I need this on for Apple CarPlay to work when I want it to.

I can't work out if the car is using my cellular data when connected to WiFi i.e. to download tracks in Spotify
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 08:28 AM   #6
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
It's to do with Apple CarPlay connecting to the phone via WiFi. As you might know G30 was the first vehicle with CarPlay via WiFi. Downside of that is that your phone will prioritise the CarPlay connection unless you start using iDrive phone connection. When you do that you can start to use your hotspot for other activities.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #7
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Could you turn off wireless CarPlay and connect it via usb?

Or, like I tell people at work, stop carrying two phones!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 04:34 PM   #8
BudgieUK
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M-Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post

CarPlay will ONLY work via Wi-fi... it will not work via USB ... so if you turn off Wi-fi, CarPlay will not work.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2018, 12:52 AM   #9
christopheaus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
It's to do with Apple CarPlay connecting to the phone via WiFi. As you might know G30 was the first vehicle with CarPlay via WiFi. Downside of that is that your phone will prioritise the CarPlay connection unless you start using iDrive phone connection. When you do that you can start to use your hotspot for other activities.
Thanks @ADK-UK. I am aware of the ability of the car to connect to CarPlay via WiFi. But you're 100% right - it always prioritises the CarPlay connection. I believe that even when I select iDrive for the phone connection, the iPhone connects to the WiFi in the car instead of other devices.

I will try again today though - thanks for your suggestion
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 12:56 AM   #10
christopheaus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgieUK View Post
CarPlay will ONLY work via Wi-fi... it will not work via USB ... so if you turn off Wi-fi, CarPlay will not work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post

Hi timmahh As BudgieUK says - I need wifi in order to use CarPlay.

My work phone has access to unlimited mobile (cellular) data which is why I want to use it as a hotspot rather than chewing through my personal mobile's data plan. 1 phone would be a lot simpler! But the audio quality on my iPhone seems to be a lot better than my work phone.
Appreciate 0