BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G30 CarPlay full screen (without my name taking up the right hand corner)

12-10-2018, 06:59 AM   #45
julioccuk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 X6 40i Skyscraper Grey

I have just got off the phone with my dealer here in London, basically the full software update to my G30 (2017) can take from 2 to 6 hours.

Cost is £198 all in, and they said there's no change log or release notes, which means they cannot really pinpoint if the specific change I'm after is or isn't included in the overall update. Also they made very clear that if there is nothing wrong with my car they don't really recommend a new software update which can bring other glitches like an iOS or Android update for instance.

It would be awesome if anyone with a G30 who has recently updated the software can test CarPlay and find out if Google/Waze maps for instance will go full screen (including the area where split screen comes in if you see my original post).

Thanks

Last edited by julioccuk; 12-10-2018 at 07:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 09:05 PM   #46
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by julioccuk View Post
I have just got off the phone with my dealer here in London, basically the full software update to my G30 (2017) can take from 2 to 6 hours.

Cost is £198 all in, and they said there's no change log or release notes, which means they cannot really pinpoint if the specific change I'm after is or isn't included in the overall update. Also they made very clear that if there is nothing wrong with my car they don't really recommend a new software update which can bring other glitches like an iOS or Android update for instance.

It would be awesome if anyone with a G30 who has recently updated the software can test CarPlay and find out if Google/Waze maps for instance will go full screen (including the area where split screen comes in if you see my original post).

Thanks
There are Service Bulletins, which reference fixes for specific issues. But, true, never any useful release notes.

Carplay is neither full screen automatically with update nor is it conditional. It requires patching unit; however, patch not possible after software S15A-18-11-520. There are three updates since that release so unlikely to hit desired level.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 02:54 AM   #47
julioccuk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Well, I am not going to go through an entire software update without being absolutely sure about this particular change that I'm after.

I will wait and see if someone has gone through this recently and can confirm what version they are running in order to achieve that.

Thanks for your comment.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 02:37 PM   #48
foldpages
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020

Garage List
2020 AMG E63 S  [0.00]
2020 Jeep Wrangler  [0.00]
2017 X6 M  [0.00]
https://www.facebook.com/BRDiagnosticsRetrofits/

These guys can help. They patched my X6M and it works just fine.

They can check your iDrive version to make sure it's compatible with the patch. My understanding is that Nov 2018 and later iDrive software is not supported.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 10:53 AM   #49
julioccuk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldpages View Post

They can check your iDrive version to make sure it's compatible with the patch. My understanding is that Nov 2018 and later iDrive software is not supported.
That's pretty promising looking at the photos, I have sent them an email.

Thanks a lot for sharing this.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 01:27 PM   #50
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

the info i have is same as from foldpages

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldpages View Post

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 01:31 PM   #51
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

basically, there is a certain range of idrive firmware for 2017+ cars which can accept a patch which can turn the 2/3 carplay into full screen carplay. you'll need to contact them with your current firmware version and the last 7 digits of your vin. they will let you know if your current version firmware can accept the patch for full screen. if not, then they will confirm if you can update your firmware to an acceptable range which can be patched.

1. firmware version (example NBTevo_J16383I)
2. last 7 digits of your vin

enquiries@brdiagnostics.co.uk

you can send a photo of you current iDrive version or write it down (in your car open the Navigation Map, then hit the options button next to the iDrive controller and go to Navigation Settings > Position and Version > Version Information)

if you idrive firmware can be patched, there will be a paypal requirement for the patch

Last edited by daytonaviolet; 12-13-2018 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 2
jwong77319.00
clee1982796.00
      12-14-2018, 03:11 AM   #52
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
basically, there is a certain range of idrive firmware for 2017+ cars which can accept a patch which can turn the 2/3 carplay into full screen carplay. you'll need to contact them with your current firmware version and the last 7 digits of your vin. they will let you know if your current version firmware can accept the patch for full screen. if not, then they will confirm if you can update your firmware to an acceptable range which can be patched.

1. firmware version (example NBTevo_J16383I)
2. last 7 digits of your vin

enquiries@brdiagnostics.co.uk

you can send a photo of you current iDrive version or write it down (in your car open the Navigation Map, then hit the options button next to the iDrive controller and go to Navigation Settings > Position and Version > Version Information)

if you idrive firmware can be patched, there will be a paypal requirement for the patch
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 07:56 AM   #53
julioccuk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Right, have spoken to them, sent my current version and this is what they told me:

"We can update your system and then patch to allow full screen Apple CarPlay. The iDrive update should not be performed by the dealer as they would go beyond the version we need to have the patch working".

I then asked:

"If in a future service, my dealer decides to update my iDrive software to whatever version is the latest available, will I lose the patch and full screen?"

They answered:

"Yes, if you apply a newer iDrive update to the one we will install for you in order to get CarPlay working in full screen, you will lose that functionality."

So I decided not to go ahead with that, if my dealer can ensure I get it with their update I will eventually opt for that, the cost is essentially the same £199 on both solutions, the difference is that the one I am sure to do what I want, is eventually not permanent.

Thanks guys, if anyone has more info please share.
Julio
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 08:58 AM   #54
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Currently the patchable ranges are N - O. But who's to say what what ranges are patchable in the future. As for me, mine is a mar 17 build with a firmware version of J. So either way N and O are updates for me 😝
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 09:01 AM   #55
julioccuk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

My car has been first registered in August 2017 and the version I currently have installed is:

NBTevo_K17052I

According to them, I'd need an update (that isn't the latest) to then get it patched and allow full screen CarPlay to come to life.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 09:12 AM   #56
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
My car has been first registered in August 2017 and the version I currently have installed is:

NBTevo_K17052I

According to them, I'd need an update (that isn't the latest) to then get it patched and allow full screen CarPlay to come to life.
We're in the same boat as I have J. To us, we can just have BR update us to O and patch it. 😇
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 09:16 AM   #57
julioccuk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
We're in the same boat as I have J. To us, we can just have BR update us to O and patch it. 😇
Seriously, in 2018 (soon 19) we are still dependent on dealerships to provide vital software updates on a £40+ car.

So frustrating and honestly the fact that you can swipe away that sliding split screen panel everywhere on iDrive but not on CarPlay is so stupid.

But I guess I have to eat my frustration and pay for the update that I may not even get what I want included.

arghhhh

Lol

Thanks anyway
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 09:21 AM   #58
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Seriously, in 2018 (soon 19) we are still dependent on dealerships to provide vital software updates on a £40+ car.

So frustrating and honestly the fact that you can swipe away that sliding split screen panel everywhere on iDrive but not on CarPlay is so stupid.

But I guess I have to eat my frustration and pay for the update that I may not even get what I want included.

arghhhh

Lol

Thanks anyway
I am not so sure I want there to be outside access to the internals of my car. I believe BMW is being very careful about opening the system to OTA updates and I am not unhappy about that. No, I haven't heard of any problems with Teslas that have this, but that doesn't give me much comfort. It is also a small step to have all cars "registered" to some big brother in the sky that will then keep track of your speed.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 09:34 AM   #59
julioccuk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
I am not so sure I want there to be outside access to the internals of my car. I believe BMW is being very careful about opening the system to OTA updates and I am not unhappy about that. No, I haven't heard of any problems with Teslas that have this, but that doesn't give me much comfort. It is also a small step to have all cars "registered" to some big brother in the sky that will then keep track of your speed.
I would tend to agree, however allowing us customers to update our own cars with OEM software updates would be ideal, in the same way I can download 29GB of iDrive map official updates to a USB stick, still offline install which gives me full control of what and where I got it from, not to mention that you can't just plug in any software and there will be no validations before installing.

iOS is over the air and I am sure it's perfectly safe to sandbox the installation.

But well, I won't change it by moaning. Sorry.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 03:38 PM   #60
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Well OTAs are coming with the new G20. They'll introduce it to the G30 at the next LCI update.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 05:02 AM   #61
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:

arghhhh

Lol

Thanks anyway
You are not dependent on updates from dealership. There are alternatives. However, it is not like Phone updates. New software mostly comes with fixes to issues, that you may or may not have. And, sometimes updates are regressions.
Appreciate 1
///M Houbi1653.00
      12-15-2018, 11:45 PM   #62
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Well Tesla pushes everyone in terms of real update, though looks like only after I drive 7 would we get over the air update...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 03:21 PM   #63
yvorobyov
Rep
Drives: F30 320d Mpa

Well guys can confirm that solution with patching head units is working. Can recommend. If somebody interested in contact please PM me.Have contact to real developers of this software solution.

Last edited by yvorobyov; 12-16-2018 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #64
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvorobyov View Post
Well guys can confirm that solution with patching head units is working. Can recommend. If somebody interested in contact please PM me.Have contact to real developers of this software solution.
Awesome, how did you achieve this ?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 04:52 PM   #65
yvorobyov
Rep
Drives: F30 320d Mpa

Quote:
well it is not hard procedure. just only 3 things you need.1 check later of unit(my is N).2 you need software from developer to make dump of service numbers which you will send later to developer(need simple ENET cable nothing more).3 You will get patched file from developer which later you will upload by same software(femtoEVO). Finally it is done)
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 05:16 PM   #66
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvorobyov View Post
Quote:
well it is not hard procedure. just only 3 things you need.1 check later of unit(my is N).2 you need software from developer to make dump of service numbers which you will send later to developer(need simple ENET cable nothing more).3 You will get patched file from developer which later you will upload by same software(femtoEVO). Finally it is done)
Which vendor?
Appreciate 0