BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Can the 530e be "tuned"?

06-28-2018, 01:23 PM   #45
sanjuvarma
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e / 2017 BMW x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgearLA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuvarma View Post
Spoke to a tech at BMS this morning about some of my observations. He said that if there is no Check Engine light, it is working fine, he said it takes about 2-3 driving cycles to kick in, and I'm actually beyond that now. Also, he said that the 530e is 507 lbs heavier than the 530i, so it suffers in handling a bit, so the JB+ feels quicker on a 530i than the 530e.

TopgearLA - when you install yours, let's share our experiences.
Will do but I gotta say I’ve often been my own weight savings lol. I’m pretty slim n short Haha. I’m hopeful that I’ll feel it n considering I barely ever have a full battery I may see impact more than others. It’s only really helps the gas engine anyhow so I should be pretty keen to any change. We shall see- in the end my sensitivity may still be different than yours but coming from a faster more aggressive car I think I’ll have fair gauge. I’m not sure what a race cycle is however. Like is that a few fill ups, certain mileage or rpms?
So did you install your JB+ TopgearLA ?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 02:14 PM   #46
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Med Blue 530e M Sport

Quote:
Not yet. Been waiting on some cosmetic parts installation before having to bring it in to the dealer so i dont want to prior to them having to service it look at the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 10:12 PM   #47
jwong77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
Just thought I'd share this tune I found that is based in the UK, it claims to boost the HP of 530e to 305bhp and boost torque to 483NM and also claims to have been customized to the 530e drivetrain.

https://tdi-tuning.com/car/bmw/5-ser...uning-box-chip
      07-04-2018, 07:48 AM   #48
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwong77 View Post
Just thought I'd share this tune I found that is based in the UK, it claims to boost the HP of 530e to 305bhp and boost torque to 483NM and also claims to have been customized to the 530e drivetrain.

While they say 530e, I think they mean 530i. Note that it shows a starting point for the ICE of 248 HP which is the 530i.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 09:36 AM   #49
jwong77
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
While they say 530e, I think they mean 530i. Note that it shows a starting point for the ICE of 248 HP which is the 530i.
You are incorrect look at what they claim as the pre-tuned drive train ratings for the 530e.
Quote:
Our CRTD4® MULTI Channel +RPM Tuning Box for your BMW 530e 248 BHP / 252 PS / 185 KW / 420 NM / 310 LBFT
A 530i is rated at 258 LBFT of torque. They really are talking about a 530e here.
      07-07-2018, 10:50 AM   #50
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMondragon View Post
I have around 3500 miles on my car, and I've had the JB+ plugged into my 2018 530e for about 3000 of those miles. I actually just unplugged it a week ago to see how things felt, and I just plugged it back in tonight (and took those pictures). I again immediately could tell a difference right away.

When I unplugged the JB+, I couldn't believe how slow the car felt. When I had the boost turned up on the JB+, the car really pulled when I put the pedal down. Without the it, the car moves swiftly but nothing like before.

I did notice that there was less "hesitation" but thinking about it, it's felt more like turbo lag. Without the JB+, the car has a little bit better throttle response but not nearly as much pull. With the JB+ plugged in and the boost cranked up on the dial (just pulled back from maxing out the potentiometer), the car builds boost quickly and just takes off.

The other thing I noticed is the combustion engine kicks on a lot more frequently without the JB+ plugged in, whereas with the JB+ it would stay in full electric mode longer and more often (in Comfort mode, which is what I drive in 95% of the time). I noticed fuel economy was not impacted at all as I was getting around 450 miles per fill up, and putting in right around 10 gal of gas with the JB+ in the car.

So to answer your question, yes it will work in the 530e, and yes you can notice a good difference & bump in performance. If anything, it almost acts or feels like boost adjuster on a turbo car.

Just literally installed mine. Although separating from omap seemed not so smooth I think I have it on correct. Went for one drive and in sport display do see increased hp but not torque... but can’t say if I feel a bigger pull yet. How long did it take for you to feel the added power?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 11:27 AM   #51
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just installed this morning n I see a in sports display a higher hp near 275 hp but still max 300 lbs torque... however don’t know if I notice a quicker pull yet. Went on a very short drive. Disconnecting the sensor wasn’t so easy for me for some reason n made me nervous... took some major wiggling n pulling even though the tab was detached n made a noise when I finally got it off... but no warning lights or anything after attaching the JB+. Hoping I didn’t mess anything up.

My drive was short n I tried to floor it from stop mostly to see that higher hp, I wonder what a driving cycle even means? Like 3 fill ups? So I’ll see if I eventually notice anything drastic but it’s not instant but don’t know if it’s supposed to be at all or if Sport Display is accurate at all... but that does reflect higher hp when I floor it in sport.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 09:40 AM   #52
SteveMondragon
Seaman
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 | I01 | G30

From what I remember (4000 miles ago), the immediate response when I first plugged in my JB+ wasn't a "night & day" feeling, but over time I did realize that the car was faster. The main thing I noticed was the pulling and pickup power when passing on the freeway at 70-80 mph. The car pulled really well with minimal throttle push, and still does to this day as I can feel it a lot more now that I know what to look/feel for when I have the JB+ plugged into my car.

As some others have sad recently, the JB+ is pretty much just a boost controller, and that's pretty much all I really feel out of it. With the boost dial turned all the way to the max setting, I can tell that the car moves good while driving at speeds on the freeway, and passing people with minimal effort. When I had it unplugged and driving on the freeway, I noticed I really have to floor the pedal to get moving and even then the pickup isn't as good. I've had a few close calls because the speed/boost wasn't enough, so with the JB+ plugged in I've noticed a bigger difference there.

The only other real difference I've noticed is if I really mash the pedal at a stoplight, the electric motor will launch the car off the line but then the boost quickly builds and there's a sudden surge of power after you get going. I've tried this with the JB+ installed and removed, and then reinstalled. I can easily notice this "surge" of power (more boost) now when I have the JB+ plugged in or unplugged. It's as if my ECU now knows what to look for and knows how to respond better when I have the JB+ plugged in, or even unplugged.
Appreciate 2
TopgearLA119.50
clee1982797.50
      07-11-2018, 08:14 PM   #53
25dollars
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e

280hp on Sports Display

Can anyone else verify this. I have a stock 2018 530e which when the gear control is over to the left in manual it shows 280hp and the standard 310 torque in the sports display under hard acceleration. However, if the gear control is in the normal position or even if the car is in sport mode, it will only show the rated ~258hp and 310 torque. Does this happen for anyone else?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 10:32 PM   #54
sanjuvarma
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e / 2017 BMW x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25dollars View Post
Can anyone else verify this. I have a stock 2018 530e which when the gear control is over to the left in manual it shows 280hp and the standard 310 torque in the sports display under hard acceleration. However, if the gear control is in the normal position or even if the car is in sport mode, it will only show the rated ~258hp and 310 torque. Does this happen for anyone else?
Yep, my Sport Displays do the same with the JB+ installed. I haven't uninstalled it to start feeling a difference just yet. Will probably do that this weekend and give it a "drive".
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 02:35 PM   #55
RussH69
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25dollars View Post
Wow I just tried this and you are correct. Slapping it in Manual whacks up the BHP to 280 ! The torque figure is the same in SPORT mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 01:42 PM   #56
Mcmanus1806
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black F36 420D

Got the 530e, really nice car! I've installed the JB+ and the difference in torque/pickup is unreal. But I'm not convinced the power is more than 250... and the reason I say is because I've done a few runs with the car in manual at different rpm, first I kept it below 4500rpm and the car flew up to 145mph, but when I revved up to max it almost felt slower than holding it back to 4500?

Im going to try and slide it into full manual as above and see if I can feel the 280bhp any different

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 02:18 PM   #57
Mcmanus1806
Rep

Update!

Flicking the gear-lever left did let the power go up to 280bhp

3rd gear 3000rpm the car is insanely rapid! The torque and pickup is amazing! Felt like a 335D.

Bad bits

The bhp goes up to 280hp at about 5500-6000rpm, after that it doesn't move. So weather there is more than 280 who knows.

I don't know if it's the tune but the car defiantly losses power upward of 3rd gear, you can actually see the bhp gauge slowly drop down to 250hp above 100mph. Which is why it feels so slow top end

Could it be the tune?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 05:55 PM   #58
Mcmanus1806
Rep

Just a heads up for everyone following this thread, I also found out from burger motorsports that the reason for loss in power is the turbos are smaller and specifically for less lag and not top end power.

Optimum gear shifts are at 5500 (peak horsepower)

What's everyone's thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 03:07 PM   #59
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcmanus1806 View Post
Just a heads up for everyone following this thread, I also found out from burger motorsports that the reason for loss in power is the turbos are smaller and specifically for less lag and not top end power.

Try performance fuel. This has a noticeable effect, completely eliminating any mid turbo lag between 50-70mph. This is not my imaginations but a consistent noticeable effect whenever I tried any non performance fuel. I am talking of 98-99 Octane fuel. My G30 is a 4 banger diesel.

Moreover, it makes the car flies in Sport mode
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 04:42 PM   #60
jwong77
Captain
Rep

Garage List
For what its worth, I went ahead and purchased the piggyback box from TDI tuning that they claim to be designed for the 530e engine. I haven't dyno'd the car, but the butt dyno seems to indicate that there is a bit more acceleration, especially when doing passing maneuvers on the freeway.

This is the unit I bought. It comes with bluetooth, so I can turn it on and off and change maps as desired.
      12-19-2018, 02:25 PM   #61
Mcmanus1806
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Quote:

Try performance fuel. This has a noticeable effect, completely eliminating any mid turbo lag between 50-70mph. This is not my imaginations but a consistent noticeable effect whenever I tried any non performance fuel. I am talking of 98-99 Octane fuel. My G30 is a 4 banger diesel.

Have you got a tune on your 530e?

I will wait till my tank is empty, I'm a little sad that you get less than 300miles to a tank :/ but only £40 to get from 1/4 to full is not bad!

Il grab some Vpower or Tesco momentum and see what it's like, I am very very happy with the power so far mid range, it's just the top end that I feel lacks the pull. Changing at 6000rpm seems to solve the issue.

On another topic, how do people feel about trying to take into account doubling there electricity bill and saving a few pennies on fuel? Is it hard to get used to such a high electric bill for only 20miles per charge?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 03:37 PM   #62
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Quote:

Have you got a tune on your 530e?

I will wait till my tank is empty, I'm a little sad that you get less than 300miles to a tank :/ but only £40 to get from 1/4 to full is not bad!

Il grab some Vpower or Tesco momentum and see what it's like, I am very very happy with the power so far mid range, it's just the top end that I feel lacks the pull. Changing at 6000rpm seems to solve the issue.

On another topic, how do people feel about trying to take into account doubling there electricity bill and saving a few pennies on fuel? Is it hard to get used to such a high electric bill for only 20miles per charge?
I have 520d 2 Litre Diesel engine
      12-21-2018, 07:57 AM   #63
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

http://www.burgertuning.com/B48_B58_...all_tuner.html
This says 640e on their list of supported cars. Don't know anything about it.
      12-21-2018, 08:34 AM   #64
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Quote:
On the 530e, the TMAP sensor is what's circled in the first picture.

You have to pop off the plastic engine cover to access it. Then you'll find the 3-pin MAP sensor connected to the air intake pipe.

Quote:
On the 530e, the TMAP sensor is what's circled in the first picture.

You have to pop off the plastic engine cover to access it. Then you'll find the 3-pin MAP sensor connected to the air intake pipe.

[IMG]https://image.ibb.co/cFFZCy/530eBay1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://image.ibb.co/mG9GQJ/530eBay2.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks SteveMonDragon.

When I'm contacting the guys at X-PH (Extreme Powerhouse) for purchase of JB+ for my 530e, are saying that ....

"This unit is not compatible per the manufacturer, if you would like to try it at your own responsibility thats your decision.
I cannot give you any technical support and be responsible if anything foes wrong."

Should I buy or not? If it is compatible, what if something goes wrong after installing or after a few hours/days of driving?
Be careful with your warranty. 530e is a complicated car with a complicated power train. Any mishap can cost you a pretty penny. Sometimes you have to pay to play. With that said, good luck and proceed with caution.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 11:52 PM   #65
twistedpair
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530e

Anyone find something they like for 530e tuning? Jb+ sounds like it’s not very effective. I get the 280hp when I put my shifter in sport mode completely stock. Haven been considering jb4 and vivid stage 2 tunes, but haven’t seen anything concrete about either of them with a 530e.

Another promising tunes seems to be MG flasher, but they don’t support the G30 yet.

So wondering if anyone has found something they are happy with?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 07:46 PM   #66
DuarteG
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e Hybrid

I use in my 2018 F30 330e, (same engine in 530e) a Ventura Tuning Box.
Now I’ m 314Hp and 518Nm, very happy with it, was very easy to install (5m), they sent a manual sheet, 4 connectors.
I think they have available since 2016 when they start selling this engine.
Appreciate 0