BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Advanced Car Eye 2

11-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #1
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

Hi all,

After owning a F10 for 3.5 years Ive had to deal with the muppets tailgating me in a regular basis. So for my new g30 im investing in the official BMW Advanced Eye 2.0 and dealer will fit it. Anyone have experience of the unit compared to others on the market.

Thanks.

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 1
SDRX204.00
      11-21-2017, 09:47 AM   #2
RamboUK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 (G01) xDrive20i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balster View Post
Hi all,

After owning a F10 for 3.5 years Ive had to deal with the muppets tailgating me in a regular basis. So for my new g30 im investing in the official BMW Advanced Eye 2.0 and dealer will fit it. Anyone have experience of the unit compared to others on the market.

Thanks.
Hi mate i have a similar thread open for this

http://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1413895

I am not sure what to get too as recently i had two kids throw stones at my car and chipped the paint off my roof. so well P***ed off with that.

At least if i had it i could have named and shamed them.

I know someone who got it installed and had acouple of issues the first one just stopped working and would not record sound or anything. They replaced the unit. then the second unit got a fault and would not switch on completly and they found that there was a wire loose.

So she has had it back two weeks and works fine for now so will see how it goes for her.

Think the deal BMW have is for the two £399 including the fitting
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 02:42 PM   #3
Bigladuk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Pro & iX40 M Sport

I have the BMW Advanced Eye in my 730 installed at the supplying dealer about 3 months ago.

Happy answer any questions you might have.

I have a question though, you say 2.0 in your post, do you mean 2.0 as mine is only a version 1 set up I think

Si
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 09:55 AM   #4
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigladuk View Post
I have the BMW Advanced Eye in my 730 installed at the supplying dealer about 3 months ago.

I have a question though, you say 2.0 in your post, do you mean 2.0 as mine is only a version 1 set up I think

Si
Yes that's right, 2. Its the latest version, smaller and does not look out of place, it slots under the rear view mirror and sits flush.

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 10:33 AM   #5
Bigladuk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigladuk View Post

Si
Yes that's right, 2. Its the latest version, smaller and does not look out of place, it slots under the rear view mirror and sits flush.
Can you point me to anything on the web about it ? I'd be very interested in changing to something a little more feature rich if that's an option

Si
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 03:33 PM   #6
Bigladuk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Found it

https://shop.bmw.co.uk/INTERSHOP/web...behoer_Welt-UK

I'm going to speak to my dealer about the price for this on Monday. The version 1 is fine but very very basic, for me it's super limited due to the small SD card it takes, as it requires formatting twice a week due to the amount of miles I do. Plus the only way to remove footage is to take the SD card to a computer ( not a Mac as there is no client for that )

This v2 has both Bluetooth and Wi-fi with GPS built in not a separate module like the version 1
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 03:04 AM   #7
Bigladuk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Oh, it doesn't seem the V2.0 is for our 7 Series, I used my VIN to check and got this

Based on the information you provided, the displayed product does not fit your BMW.
Based on the information you provided, this item does not fit your vehicle. This could be due to the production date or other options and accessories present.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 08:26 AM   #8
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

£374 including fitting for a G30.

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 05:34 PM   #9
Martii
Registered
Rep
Drives: x1

Quote:
£374 including fitting for a G30.
Hi, Balster!

Have you already fitted the Eye 2.0? How does it look in real life? Can you post some pictures? There is only one pic on the whole Internet about that 2.0.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 11:01 AM   #10
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martii View Post
Hi, Balster!

Have you already fitted the Eye 2.0? How does it look in real life? Can you post some pictures? There is only one pic on the whole Internet about that 2.0.
Not yet. I get my car in March. But my dealer can get and fit the unit.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 02:04 PM   #11
RamboUK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 (G01) xDrive20i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Hi, Balster!

Not yet. I get my car in March. But my dealer can get and fit the unit.
Hi mate that sounds good. Is that £374 price for front and back?

I was looking at the v1 and it put me off with the formatting if the sd card. Someone else has had the same issue and it didn't seem reliable.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 02:56 AM   #12
chimray
Registered
Rep
Drives: 528i

Hi guys,

I used this camera for front and rear for 4 months, recently have rear camera image get blur, see below photo which left side is front and right side is rear, how can I fix it by myself as I don't want to bring it back to BMW, highly appreciate those comments, happy new year !
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 05:43 AM   #13
Martii
Registered
Rep
Drives: x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimray View Post
Hi guys,

I used this camera for front and rear for 4 months, recently have rear camera image get blur, see below photo which left side is front and right side is rear, how can I fix it by myself as I don't want to bring it back to BMW, highly appreciate those comments, happy new year !
It seems the rear cam has focused on your window, thus the image is blurred.
Is it the Advanced Eye 2.0? Can you upload more pictures of the devices itself?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 08:46 AM   #14
chimray
Registered
Rep
Drives: 528i

Quote:
It seems the rear cam has focused on your window, thus the image is blurred.
Is it the Advanced Eye 2.0? Can you upload more pictures of the devices itself?
Hi Martin,

I don't know which version fo this Advanced Eye, but I use the new micro SD and updated the firmware from Website, so what can I do to correct this blurred images ?

Will try to upload more pictures ? Funny thing is I never touch the rear cam, today just check the old micro SD card (32G) which images is okay, but the new card either in 128 and 256G have this problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 03:03 PM   #15
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

I'm not sure about the BMW Advanced Eye, but most of these dashcam type cameras are fixed focus wide angle lenses. The design is such that the lens is screwed onto a housing that is mounted to the surface of the image sensor. The focus is set by screwing the lens in our out (something done at time of manufacture).

I've had Blackvue cameras for about ten years now and know that occasionally they don't set the focus correctly (especially in the earlier models), or the lens shifts slightly due to heat exposure or vibration. Due to their compact size, they are quite sensitive to adjustment and the sweetspot on focus can be a matter of a very small shift in the lens. If you know how to get to the lens you can fix it easily enough yourself (there's even plenty of youtube clips around for doing so). As I said though - not sure about how this particular model works, but I'd be surprised if it was an auto-focus type assembly.

Take it out of the vehicle and test it there to make sure you still have a problem. If you have warranty get BMW to fix or replace.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 08:21 AM   #16
brom81
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 320d

Has anyone got any more news on the BMW Car Eye v2?

The only thing I could find online is on a Belgian website: https://www.bmwseizoensklaar.be/be-n...ssoires2.php#1

Does anyone have more specs? Looks a lot better than the v1, might be an option later on.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 06:16 PM   #17
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

What I don't get is why, in the age of 2018, there's still no in-built factory option for dashcam recording from any major manufacturer. I know a lot of countries (especially in the EU) have strict laws that limit this kind of stuff, but there's still a huge market out there and has been for years. We're always have to retrofit these things, yet modern cars like the G30 have more cameras on board than you can poke a stick at.

Beats me why there isn't a factory option to simply record stuff onto USB or SD card direct from the vehicle cameras. Never mind - I'll get off my soap box now. Guess I'm fitting another Blackvue again when I get my 540i.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 02:11 PM   #18
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBO View Post
What I don't get is why, in the age of 2018, there's still no in-built factory option for dashcam recording from any major manufacturer. I know a lot of countries (especially in the EU) have strict laws that limit this kind of stuff, but there's still a huge market out there and has been for years. We're always have to retrofit these things, yet modern cars like the G30 have more cameras on board than you can poke a stick at.

Beats me why there isn't a factory option to simply record stuff onto USB or SD card direct from the vehicle cameras. Never mind - I'll get off my soap box now. Guess I'm fitting another Blackvue again when I get my 540i.
They probably don't want to get involved in the privacy laws surrounding recording etc. Especially as it differs from country to country so wildly.

Not saying hats a good reason, just might be their justification for being lazy.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 02:50 AM   #19
mijoed
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40e MSport

Quote:
Ive been trying to find this camera and, so far, it has been pretty elusive.
I called BMW Leister and Park Lane and they know nothing about it. Additionally, BMW genius has no info.

Could you let me know where you bought the ver 2.0 from and an idea of the price and specifications.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 05:48 PM   #20
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBO View Post

Totally agree. The cars these days already have most of the hardware with backwards and now forwards facing cameras and even 360deg cameras, so why not link the whole setup to data storage system.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 02:14 AM   #21
DavidI
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C LCI

Looks like Citroen agree....

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-re...m-test-review/
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 02:55 PM   #22
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidI View Post
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing that.
Unfortunately it looks like the implementation isn't up to the same standard of what a good dashcam offers (i.e. no parking mode, no rear view channel, no decent software for filtering events etc.) but at least it's a start.
Appreciate 0