BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding BMW Connected app Canada

01-17-2018, 10:00 PM   #1
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

BMW Connected app Canada

Hi guys,

I was watching some Youtube videos on the 5 series in anticipation of picking mine up this weekend. One video by Schmee mentioned the technology and that fact that there is an app that can be used to view a whole bunch of things. I did Google search and it appears that it is only available for US? Is that correct? Do us Canadians not get the equivalent? If so, how do I get it and set up? Is it a free service or a subscription service that we need to pay extra for?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 10:51 AM   #2
Ghanziang
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 3.5i Silver

Garage List
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
I am in the US, but there was no extra fees. It does require a bunch of services to be enabled, which they did for free when I leased the car. Can you download the app from the App Store? It was available for iOS for me. I never looked on google play.

G.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 11:06 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

In the uk it is called remote services and costs just £60 .
So do you have the option to add that to a car?

Gives you things such as :-
lock / unlock car
Flash lights
Check fuel left and range
Search for an address and send it to the satnav in the car
Status of car
Mileage of car

For the 360 camera stuff you need the camera option on your car obviously.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 11:21 AM   #4
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghanziang View Post
I am in the US, but there was no extra fees. It does require a bunch of services to be enabled, which they did for free when I leased the car. Can you download the app from the App Store? It was available for iOS for me. I never looked on google play.

G.
I have and iPhone X and I can't find the app (Blue globe kind of thing) on the Canadian store. Which is why I made this thread. I found it online but when I go on my app store to download it, it says it's only available for US. There is a red colored icon that shows up on the Canadian app store but I am not sure if it's the right one.

Perhaps someone in Canada who has used this or looked into it can shed some light.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 11:44 AM   #5
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
I've seen posts in the forum where others have said Connected Drive is not active in Canada. The app is a key part of that. I would recommend finding out from BMW when they plan to launch Connected Drive services in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 11:46 AM   #6
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks guys. I will talk to my dealer when I pick up the car this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 08:08 PM   #7
Ab3_Fr0man
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: G30 540i

Garage List
2017 540i  [0.00]
2011 535xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
Hi guys,

I was watching some Youtube videos on the 5 series in anticipation of picking mine up this weekend. One video by Schmee mentioned the technology and that fact that there is an app that can be used to view a whole bunch of things. I did Google search and it appears that it is only available for US? Is that correct? Do us Canadians not get the equivalent? If so, how do I get it and set up? Is it a free service or a subscription service that we need to pay extra for?

Thanks!

I am in Canada and have the BMW connected app (US version) installed on my Android phone. I had to use a VPN service to be able to access and install it from the google play store. Once installed you can use it without issues, it allows for the apps to work with iDrive.

I use Nord VPN if you are looking for one.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 07:32 AM   #8
venom21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW IX50 Tesla MYP Prev: 530e

Quote:
Thanks guys. I will talk to my dealer when I pick up the car this weekend.
I’ve got a 530e in Alberta, the only thing available to us is the BMW remote app. It tells me the charge level of the battery and gives me the ability to precondition the car, send directions to the car, but all other features aren’t active. Other connective services like in-car wifi etc aren’t available in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 08:02 AM   #9
Ab3_Fr0man
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: G30 540i

Garage List
2017 540i  [0.00]
2011 535xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by venom21 View Post
I’ve got a 530e in Alberta, the only thing available to us is the BMW remote app. It tells me the charge level of the battery and gives me the ability to precondition the car, send directions to the car, but all other features aren’t active. Other connective services like in-car wifi etc aren’t available in Canada.
Use a VPN and get the (USA) BMW connected app. It opens up lots more functionality over the shitty limited Canadian remote app.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 10:31 AM   #10
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Androids make the VPN stuff easier but not sure how to get that app on my iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 01:27 PM   #11
Canuck99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i, '15 Jaguar F-Type R

I have an m550i and with the Premium Package came the Connected Drive Services. There are 2 apps you can load on your iPhone. First "BMW Remote" - this allows you to see the car status (km range), set a departure time if you want the car ventilated, lock/unlock, honk horn, flash headlights and send a destination to the car. What it doesn't have, that the US owners have, is remote 3D view. The second app is "BMW Connected". This gives you access to all sorts of apps (like ECO PRO Analyzer), web radio, reading twitter feeds on the screen, Calendar, news feed to the screen, etc...

So, in the end, the only thing that I don't think we have in Canada is the remote 3D view to look around your vehicle remotely.

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 12:36 PM   #12
bmwgcyr
Bimmerfest coding member since 2012
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW m550i xDrive 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck99 View Post
I have an m550i and with the Premium Package came the Connected Drive Services. There are 2 apps you can load on your iPhone. First "BMW Remote" - this allows you to see the car status (km range), set a departure time if you want the car ventilated, lock/unlock, honk horn, flash headlights and send a destination to the car. What it doesn't have, that the US owners have, is remote 3D view. The second app is "BMW Connected". This gives you access to all sorts of apps (like ECO PRO Analyzer), web radio, reading twitter feeds on the screen, Calendar, news feed to the screen, etc...

So, in the end, the only thing that I don't think we have in Canada is the remote 3D view to look around your vehicle remotely.
I am also using bot iPhone apps BMW remote and BMW Connected and they are ok. I tried hard to get the US BMW Connected app without success so far.
Z1Q, ZC5, ZK9, ZTV, 29X, 2VW, 4LQ, 4161, LZFK
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 04:27 AM   #13
misterbixby
Private
Rep
Drives: G30 m550i

I use the app almost daily now, but mainly to pre-heat the car.

Once I discovered that a window had been left partially open using the app. The connected app iss a great feature IMO, however has had a few reliability issues. Seems to be getting much better over the last 4 months I've had my car.

Then there will be an update that will allow you to check on the car surrounding via the app using the car cameras. It's in the 3D view thread.

Ive linked it to Amazon Alexa, but not really tried any voice commands yet.

That would be cool.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 04:18 PM   #14
JimCash
Always a Mystery to Solve
Canada
Rep
Drives: F31 328ixM & E39 540iA

We are in Canada and have a Canadian car (2014 528iT) - with all the subscription connected drive services activated.

We use the BMW Remote app - downloaded from the Google Play store site.

You sign in once using your connected drive user name and password - then to access it each time you simply put in a 4 digit pin

It provides the following "remote" features:
- Climate (activate the fan - now or at a specific time.
- Lock
- Horn
- Headlight Flash
- Unlock - but for that one you need to dial a number an give the person your password.

It also has a "maps" feature (similar to Google maps) but also lets you locate your vehicle as long as you are withing a 1 km range of it.

I can also go into Google maps and send a destination to the car - but that does not require the app - just the connected drive service.

Cheers
Jim Cash
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #15
Khatopito
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 - Ultimate Pkg- Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab3_Fr0man View Post
I am in Canada and have the BMW connected app (US version) installed on my Android phone. I had to use a VPN service to be able to access and install it from the google play store. Once installed you can use it without issues, it allows for the apps to work with iDrive.

I use Nord VPN if you are looking for one.
Hi

Were you able to Add your vehicle using last 7 digit numbers of your VIN?

I somehow got the App installed but it won't let add my vehicle.

I am in Canada of course.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 01:24 PM   #16
Krazee-Eyez Killa
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahtopito View Post
Hi

Thanks
Yeah I also tried using VPN and the US app and had the same issue, it will not let me login says it can't find the VIN
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 10:32 AM   #17
Khatopito
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazee-Eyez Killa View Post
Yeah I also tried using VPN and the US app and had the same issue, it will not let me login says it can't find the VIN
BMW Connected app is now available in Canadian App store but not in Android. Everything seems to be working except Remote 3d view is not working for me. Canadian33 is going to look into it when he goes back to office.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 06:48 PM   #18
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khatopito View Post
Hi

Thanks
It does work ... but you have to make sure you have the right app. The US one is "de.bmw.connected.na". If you grabbed :de.bmw.connected" that one will not allow you to enter you VIN.

I did not VPN into the Play Store, but used an APK mirror to find the right file.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 06:01 PM   #19
alexhasin
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550i

Quote:
BMW Connected app is now available in Canadian App store but not in Android. Everything seems to be working except Remote 3d view is not working for me. Canadian33 is going to look into it when he goes back to office.
Mine was working a few days ago, but not now.

I guess this service is down temporarily.

Remember to use remote 3d view, you must enable it under "Data privacy", if there isn't this option. Try to log in your account and update BMW assist under "Connected Drive" menu in the car.

But now mine car doesn't have remote 3d View "Data privacy" either. It was there days ago.

So I guess this service is down.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 06:02 AM   #20
Khatopito
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexhasin View Post
Mine was working a few days ago, but not now.

I guess this service is down temporarily.

Remember to use remote 3d view, you must enable it under "Data privacy", if there isn't this option. Try to log in your account and update BMW assist under "Connected Drive" menu in the car.

But now mine car doesn't have remote 3d View "Data privacy" either. It was there days ago.

So I guess this service is down.
Canadian33 just confirmed yesterday in other thread that all capable vehicles in Canada will get over the air software update by end of November. This software update will give us an option to enable Remote 3d view in Data privacy settings of idrive. Once this is done, remote 3d view should wrk.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 01:08 PM   #21
Jayphotoworks
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 Xdrive

Quote:
Canadian33 just confirmed yesterday in other thread that all capable vehicles in Canada will get over the air software update by end of November. This software update will give us an option to enable Remote 3d view in Data privacy settings of idrive. Once this is done, remote 3d view should wrk.
I can't wait for this option. I had originally used the US app until last week where I was able to install the Canadian version. So far the functionality is the same (no 3D view yet), but at least it calls me by name instead of "Daniel."
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 06:46 PM   #22
Khatopito
Private
Canada
Rep

Good news for all Canadian BMW owners with Vehicles capable for Remote 3d view. I got my software update today by following steps mentioned by Canadian33 above. After you get your software update, you have to enable Remote 3d view in Data privacy section of idrive settings under My Vehicle. Once this is done, open your BMW Connected app in Apple (ios) device, logout from App and log back in App, accept terms and you will see Remote 3D View option. Click on this option and first time you will just see image of your vehicle. Click on REFRESH VIEW, wait for new image to load and you will see actual view of last parked vehicle with surroundings. You can scroll on screen to see vehicle and surrounding from different angle.

Thanks to Canadian33 for helping us in finally getting this feature in Canada.

Here is actual image:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0