BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Getting Spotify & IHeartRadio work consistently with Android Phones over Bluetooth

11-26-2018, 05:19 PM   #1
chris_sd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 530e

Getting Spotify & IHeartRadio work consistently with Android Phones over Bluetooth

This feature is a major disappointment to me, Spotify and IHeartRadio works sometimes, and when they work they are pretty buggy. (Pandora never shows up). Has anyone figure out a way to get these to work well with an Android phone? I am thinking certain version combinations of Android/BMW Connected/Spotify/iHeartRadio works better than others. My Samsung Galaxy S8+ certainly doesn't work very well with latest version of all the applications.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 09:57 AM   #2
bpbaud
Private
Rep
Drives: 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_sd View Post
doesn't work very well
What are the symptoms?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 04:20 PM   #3
chris_sd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbaud View Post
What are the symptoms?
Spotify and IHeartRadio only shows up in the list sometimes. But even when they show up, nothing happens when you try to select them. Looking if there are any workarounds to get these applications to work consistently.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 08:33 PM   #4
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

I found the Spotify integration very troublesome (on Android as well) and ended up ditching it. It relies entirely on the link and the app on your phone. Would've been better to have the app as standalone in the iDrive system. I'm guessing they wanted to minimise the amount of data that Connected drive will use.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 12:05 PM   #5
chris_sd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBO View Post
I found the Spotify integration very troublesome (on Android as well) and ended up ditching it. It relies entirely on the link and the app on your phone. Would've been better to have the app as standalone in the iDrive system. I'm guessing they wanted to minimise the amount of data that Connected drive will use.
I think I found a stable configuration after playing with different version. On my Galaxy S8+ it seems to work great with the latest version of BMW Connected and an old version of Spotify 8.4.70.666
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 04:41 PM   #6
Dutch Quaid
England
Rep
Drives: 520D Msport G30 2019

Hi,

I was under the impression that Android wasn't compatible with the idrive and that apple was the only phones you could use.

How do you get Spotify to work?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 08:29 PM   #7
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Quaid View Post
Hi,

I was under the impression that Android wasn't compatible with the idrive and that apple was the only phones you could use.

How do you get Spotify to work?
Oh god no. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot if that was true. They just don't support Android Auto and have chosen Apple Car Play instead. The new iDrive 7 for example has more support for Android than ever (e.g. digital key, which isn't yet supported on IOS for example)

In real terms, there's very little diff AFAIK - both platforms have the BMW Connected app and that integrates with things like Spotify etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 11:13 AM   #8
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBO View Post
Oh god no. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot if that was true. They just don't support Android Auto and have chosen Apple Car Play instead. The new iDrive 7 for example has more support for Android than ever (e.g. digital key, which isn't yet supported on IOS for example)

In real terms, there's very little diff AFAIK - both platforms have the BMW Connected app and that integrates with things like Spotify etc.
I wouldn't go anywhere near that far. The only Android apps that are supported are Spotify, Pandora, and iHeart. Nothing else while there are substantially more iOS apps supported (eg. Amazon Music, Stitcher, Deezer, TuneIn, Napster, Glympse ... night and day difference). BMW is all in on iOS and could give a rat's ass about Android users. Their justification for not supporting Android Auto (too many different phones) is pure corporate BS (AA is a standard ... irrelevant what phone it runs on). Digital Key is an anomaly ... generally speaking, BMW treats Android users as second class.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 09:38 AM   #9
Dutch Quaid
England
Rep
Drives: 520D Msport G30 2019

Thanks guys for your replies, much appreciated. I have been an android user for over 15 years and can't see me changing anytime soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 10:00 PM   #10
spyfish007
Getting older, but I still love awesome fast cars!
Rep
Drives: 2017 X6M & 2016 Z4 sDrive35is

I agree with others. I gave up on Android Spotify working. On the other hand Google Assistant and Bluetooth works really well. Names of the songs show up using my Samsung Note 9.
Appreciate 0