BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs BMW Leather Maintenance

08-18-2019, 04:00 PM   #23
rellascout
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30/M550ix 2019

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2019 BMW M550ix  [0.00]
The leather in BMWs is a coated product. The leather is coated with a polymer which protects and seals it. All you need to maintain it is to clean it with is distilled water. Some people will warm it up a bit but it is really not necessary. Most of the stuff people wipe onto their leather does nothing to protect it. At its worst it is mildly abrasive and actually harms the leather. Another thing that happens is that the "Stuff" gets stuck around the stitching and weakens it over time. Distilled water is safer and effective for keeping them clean.

Now if you have a real stain or problem area on the seat above and beyond normal clean up other measures may be required depending on what has happened. IMHO
Appreciate 1
430Scud224.50
      08-19-2019, 09:29 PM   #24
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
I was planning on using the Gyeon leather cleaner and coating. In fact I have it in my garage along with some other goodies in preparation for my cars arrival. Glad I read this. I used it on my dove gray leather seats previously in my Infiniti and did not experience any darkening or shine although I did get awesome protection. My seats are Dakota black with blue stitching. Perhaps I’ll try it on a seat back.

Good luck and keep us posted.
I tested mine on the inside of the rear armrest. Figured it was safest and least noticeable place. Good luck
      09-24-2019, 09:18 PM   #25
PetieD 7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 540i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
Would love to get options on leather care. My IND Tartufo Merino leather is the most expensive single option I ordered on my new 540i and I want to take care of it.
I was going with Gyeon Leather Cleaner followed by Gyeon Leather Coat. Someone commented that this leaves leather glossy despite Gyeon description. I want to keep the color and matte finish. Comments and thoughts.
I have been using Colourlock mild leather cleaner, and Colourlock Leather Shield to protect new leather surface that's under 3 years old. I have not experienced any issues using these 2 products.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 09:55 AM   #26
amus3d
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 530e, X5 45e

any suggestions on keeping the steering wheel a matte finish? I have gloves in the winter but it's too hot in the summer to be driving with gloves. LOL
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 05:57 AM   #27
alisha_hoda
Explorer
India
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC60, BMW 530d

I got my BMW 530d interior leather protected with Opti Coat Bangalore.
It has made my seats easy to clean.
https://www.optioat.in
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2019, 11:37 PM   #28
reice23
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
My 5 series is being delivered today with Mocha Nappa so I'm glad I saw this thread.

I was looking on Amazon the other day for detailing stuff and came across this leather cleaner and conditioner from Chemical Guys. I spent about an hour researching it and comparing it to other products with good reviews and this was the one I decided on myself.

Surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but besides leather care, having a good tint on your car is paramount as well as parking in a garage helps to avoid any extreme temperatures as well as direct sun rays from beaming into your car. Those two things are very important to keeping leather healthy. Think about your sofa or sectional in your home. It's always a consistent temperature in your home and the sectional doesn't have sun rays beaming on it, and if it's like ours, it still looks great 10+ years later without ever using any leather cleaner or conditioner on it. And I could argue it's been used much much more. I know our cars are cars and will experience harsh conditions, but I'm just saying to limit the exposure when you can (i.e. park your car in your garage when you can or do yourself a favor and have tint installed, even a sun blocker on your windshield would look hideous, but at least you won't have the suns rays penetrating your Nappa niceness.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TJ3HUG...B96OLZOD&psc=0

Only thing I don't like about that conditioner is that it makes the leather shiny and clean looking which I like but after a few days of driving it comes right up. My driver side seat where my body is you can tell because those spots are gone and where i rest my arm on the center console u can see where my arm been sitting cuz the conditioner is gone from that spot as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 01:54 PM   #29
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

I'll suggest that just about any name-brand leather cleaner and conditioner will work well (aside from the shiny/matte issue). What really counts is frequent, light cleaning (no harsh chemicals). Consistently keeping the seat clean, as simple as wiping down with a damp cloth, will do the most good, keeping the dirt out of the pores.

Remember, this leather in our cars is basically painted. There's a technical term for it, but automotive leather is not the same quality as you'll find in your nice Armani leather jacket, and it's treated to withstand a lot more abuse. And the color is (generally) sprayed on (like paint) not dyed into the leather like you'd think/hope/expect.

So all of that conditioning and moisturizing is wonderful, but largely unnecessary. Just keep it clean.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 07:42 AM   #30
RichieHPS
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Light skin is easily dirty, but this does not mean that black is flawless: it has more visible spots of shedding paint, and besides, it quickly overheats in the heat. The main thing in caring for a leather interior is cleanliness and good cream or oil for the skin.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 06:53 PM   #31
PetieD 7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 540i xDrive M Sport

For my leather care products, I've used Zymol leather cleaner (glycerin enriched), Colourlock leather care products, and Swissvax Milk leather care (conditioner) designed for Nappa leather.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 06:32 PM   #32
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Just an fyi stay away from CG products. It's purely a marketing company. They have a few products that work, but they are not the go to for many especially professional detailers.

As far as leather goes use Leatherique for that yearly deep cleaning. Any of the more reputable companies (Meguiars/Optimum/CarPro/Gyeon/Sonax/etc.) will do the job. My vote is for Sonax Leather Foam for maintenance. Imo you want something to actually clean your leather and we don't use just water to actually clean things in detailing so same concept applies.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 10:52 PM   #33
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Has anyone used BMW PureCare Leather products?

They have both a Cleaner and a Care product, but I noticed no one here mentioned them.

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/product/6...E-LEATHER-CARE
https://www.shopbmwusa.com/product/6...LSTERY-CLEANER
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 06:28 PM   #34
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 3.0d M-Sport

Gtechniq L1 And that is it for me.

Head over to detailing world and read some of the reviews about how to look after your leather.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 11:15 AM   #35
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Just an fyi stay away from CG products. It's purely a marketing company. They have a few products that work, but they are not the go to for many especially professional detailers.

As far as leather goes use Leatherique for that yearly deep cleaning. Any of the more reputable companies (Meguiars/Optimum/CarPro/Gyeon/Sonax/etc.) will do the job. My vote is for Sonax Leather Foam for maintenance. Imo you want something to actually clean your leather and we don't use just water to actually clean things in detailing so same concept applies.
+1. I know a lot of people here have detailing as their hobby and whatever product they use, I can't argue but sometimes most of the stuff recommended here is just overkill for someone to who is just looking to do basic maintenance and cleaning. Of course what someone needs to clean varies from spot cleaning to deep cleaning so product will vary.

Like rjd598, I've only used BMW foam cleaner which is rebranded SONAX for my 440 and have never needed anything else to remove denim transfer and dirt.

After 3 years, still white with nothing more than BMW foam cleaner and water while still retaining that new leather texture.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 08:58 PM   #36
BK28
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by basementman View Post
I have been using the stock BMW leather cleaner and conditioner on my F10 and now G30, both with ivory white Napa leather. Couldn't be happier. Seats retain stock appearance and clean up really well, especially blue jean dye. You do have to rub a bit in the same spots a few times, but it does work. As others have said, you can't let it go too long between cleanings. 4-5 weeks makes it easy to clean, 5 - 10 mins or so. I use white cotton washcloths so that I can see the cleaner pick up the blue jean dye. The white cloths look light blue when I'm done, and the seats look new. I haven't tried other products, but I can't imagine any others being easier to use or getting better results than the seats looking new for years. When I traded in my F10 the dealer was stunned how nice the seats looked. PS I also use a barely damp microfiber cloth to wipe down the dash, console, doors and seats every time I wash the car. That helps to keep the interior looking new overall.
Didn't know BMW had their own cleaner. Just purchased my first BMW 2 weeks ago and was going to use meguiars like I have in my previous cars but I'll give their OEM cleaner a try.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 04:18 AM   #37
Aachener
Registered
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d Touring (G31)

I have recently used Meguiar's cleaner and conditioner products in my black Nappa leather and I am very happy with the result. The seats look clean, like brand new, but there is no shining or glossy effects which could make them look different than previously.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 09:23 PM   #38
nisam
Private
Rep
Drives: 540i

After trying sooo many products CG, Lexol, Sonax and never achieving what I envisioned ended up buying a steam cleaner and now cleaning the leather and getting that matte look is so easy.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 10:09 AM   #39
Desmond79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i, 2009 328i

In the past, I've used Chemical Guys (just okay), Meguiars (okay), Lexol (okay) other brands, and Zaino -- best smelling leather conditioner.

But now I've learned that almost all leather is not really full grain, has poly in it for extended life and consistency, etc. And the biggest problem is friction. May not need moisturizing. I have Nappa leather.

Will use some gentle soap and water in a spray to clean the leather with a horsehair brush to get out stuff.

This time I am trying gtechniq and will see what happens. Find it on autogeek, etc. Will use gtechniq C5 and Panel spray on my wheels, too.

But if I lose some leather smell - getting more Zaino.

2009 328i 6 spd stick, Crimson Red/Sport Suspension, Bavsound Stage 1, 2

Former BMWs: '79 320i, '84 325e, 2000 328i, 2014 535i
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 05:21 PM   #40
Desmond79
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond79 View Post
In the past, I've used Chemical Guys (just okay), Meguiars (okay), Lexol (okay) other brands, and Zaino -- best smelling leather conditioner.

But now I've learned that almost all leather is not really full grain, has poly in it for extended life and consistency, etc. And the biggest problem is friction. May not need moisturizing. I have Nappa leather.

Will use some gentle soap and water in a spray to clean the leather with a horsehair brush to get out stuff.

This time I am trying gtechniq and will see what happens. Find it on autogeek, etc. Will use gtechniq C5 and Panel spray on my wheels, too.

But if I lose some leather smell - getting more Zaino.

Okay - used a damp cotton pad and then gtechniq L1. My first time with it.

Had some Zaino Leather Conditioner lurking on the shelf, so for a great leather smell, used a little bit of Zaino in the back seat.

I need more gtechnic, so I'll end up with their cleaner. I need some #5 for my wheels. Thought I had some but when I looked at it, something happened. It got some air and that stuff does not like air after you open it.

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 08:22 PM   #41
malpatti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i xDrive

I have a new 2021 and love the ‘new car smell’ which I gather is mostly the fresh nappa leather. What cleaning product can maintain that smell?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 08:37 PM   #42
Desmond79
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malpatti View Post
I have a new 2021 and love the ‘new car smell’ which I gather is mostly the fresh nappa leather. What cleaning product can maintain that smell?

Zaino smells most like leather in my experience.

I am using gtechniq products as friction seems to be the biggest enemy that modern auto leather faces.

I use a tiny bit of zaino but not on the outside bolsters of the seat where we enter and exit. That gets the most wear.

I use gtechniq ultra clearn and L1

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 04:29 AM   #43
hammsterr
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D M SPORT PLUS

Anyone tried using Autoglym Leather Protector/Shampoo?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 08:10 PM   #44
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

I picked up some of the BMW branded leather cleaner stuff (wipes) that I'll try out tomorrow.
Appreciate 0