BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing unlocked iphone 2g help

12-24-2008, 11:56 PM   #1
chicagolab
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 2006 TiAg

unlocked iphone 2g help

I am going to South America next week and will soon do another BMW ED. I have an Iphone 2g and am on the ATT network. I was wondering if I unlock to iphone for use abroad what happens when I reinsert the ATT SIM. Will I have all the regular features including visual voicemail and internet, etc. when I put my ATT sim back in? If I lose any functionality when I return then it doesn't make sense for me to unlock the phone for a couple of trips and I'll just get a prepaid phone abroad. But if when i reinsert the ATT chip all functions then there is little downside.

Anyone have experience with this??? Help appreciated

E90 330i | Titanium Silver | Black/Aluminum | Step | Idrive | Sunshades | PDC | Heated Seats | M3 Lip | Roof Spoiler | Front Splitters | Lux 5.0 | Blacklines
Link to my European Delivery write up:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143486

Last edited by chicagolab; 12-26-2008 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 12:50 AM   #2
chicagolab
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 2006 TiAg

bump

E90 330i | Titanium Silver | Black/Aluminum | Step | Idrive | Sunshades | PDC | Heated Seats | M3 Lip | Roof Spoiler | Front Splitters | Lux 5.0 | Blacklines
Link to my European Delivery write up:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143486
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

I don't own an Iphone. But I would assume from blind observation that if you reinsert the original SIM card it would function in accordance with that sim card. Assuming that the information and functionality you seek is saved onto that sim card.

The only reason it wouldn't is if Apple saw through your illegal intentions and put some sort of fail safe into the phone. But I'm not an Apple product user. So I'm not familiar with what they do.

My advice would be to find the forums of whatever software you used to jailbreak or unlock your iphone. And ask there. Since they will know more about the method in which you released your phone. Far more than any typical user here may know.
      12-31-2008, 07:11 PM   #4
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

your voicemails etc are saved on the ATT network... when you remove and reinsert your ATT sim card everything will come back.

Go ahead and unlock the iphone 2g... they've made it idiot proof...

www.modmyifone.com
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

make sure you unlock it and not just jailbreak it
I just did this last night and installed a bunch of apps. Upgraded from 1.1.4 to 2.2
Appreciate 0