BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G30 issues?

05-10-2018, 03:56 PM   #45
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
Centre vents might be cool if you've got them set to cool in the I drive.

Also what is TSB?
I was running the AC while it was hot out, so expect cool air everywhere, but the footwell was pushing out warm air

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin, which means the issue has been reported and is known by BMW, and they have fixes/corrective actions for the dealership to follow. The rear camera for example states there is a software compatibility issue between iDrive and the camera, that replacing parts will not help, that trying to reproduce it is near impossible, and the fix is to just update the software. Helps the dealer not waste time trying to come up with their own fix.
      05-10-2018, 04:58 PM   #46
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Quote:

Also what is TSB?
I was running the AC while it was hot out, so expect cool air everywhere, but the footwell was pushing out warm air

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin, which means the issue has been reported and is known by BMW, and they have fixes/corrective actions for the dealership to follow. The rear camera for example states there is a software compatibility issue between iDrive and the camera, that replacing parts will not help, that trying to reproduce it is near impossible, and the fix is to just update the software. Helps the dealer not waste time trying to come up with their own fix.
Oh right. Is that the same as the uk term 'recall' I wonder
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 05:58 PM   #47
Flyingscotsman
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G30 520d se

Quote:
Originally Posted by morellomax View Post
I have got used to the sports seats in the G30 now, and find them comfortable enough, but it's still very noticeable when I get out of the sports seats in the 2 series and back into the G30 that the G30 ones are much narrower at the rear of the base .
Way too narrow as you say.. I don't even have a fat arse.. maybe I need more padding
They're fine on a short trip, but not for any long journeys.
I just did a 5 hour drive and apart from the bum pain, the car was the perfect mile muncher.
Seriously considering getting a standard seat from a scrapped car and swapping the drivers seat.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 06:01 PM   #48
Flyingscotsman
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G30 520d se

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Also what is TSB?

They won't use the term "recall" unless it's really serious.
It's something they know about that needs addressed, we have similar stuff in my line of work.
Appreciate 1
ZigmundUK436.00
      05-10-2018, 07:49 PM   #49
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Like flyingscotsman said, a recall is typically for major issues or safety issue. TSB is more along the lines of “some people may experience this, here’s a fix if it happens”.. but it’s not anything that would result in a useless car that won’t start or increased injury risks etc.
Appreciate 2
      05-11-2018, 01:30 AM   #50
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Like flyingscotsman said, a recall is typically for major issues or safety issue. TSB is more along the lines of “some people may experience this, here’s a fix if it happens”.. but it’s not anything that would result in a useless car that won’t start or increased injury risks etc.
Aha cool. Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 01:30 AM   #51
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahunawahoo View Post
1300 miles so far on my '18 540i M-sport and the only issue I have had is a rear driver side door that has failed to open twice from the outside. Both times I or my child has had to open from the inside as the only way of getting in/out. Not sure if this has anything to do with it or not but I do have the soft close door option as part of the executive package.
It's weird but I have the same issue with the rear passenger side door on my car. It's hard to replicate the issue which is why I haven't bothered calling the dealership. But sometimes I have to try the handle 3-4 times before it'll open up. Also have soft close doors but not sure if that has anything to do with anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 11:08 AM   #52
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
It's weird but I have the same issue with the rear passenger side door on my car. It's hard to replicate the issue which is why I haven't bothered calling the dealership. But sometimes I have to try the handle 3-4 times before it'll open up. Also have soft close doors but not sure if that has anything to do with anything.
Sometimes my passenger side rear door doesn't want to open and I have to hit the unlock button on the driver door to do it. Small annoyance so nothing I would bring into the dealership unless or until I am in there for something else.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 02:46 PM   #53
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G30 530e M Sport Med Blue

530e and only problem after 3 months was the fuel filler flap not releasing - lack of use . Car was attended to promptly, off the road for 5 x days and repaired. No problems since.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 10:39 AM   #54
matt666
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:

Interesting, thanks for that. I’ll have to book it in if there’s a known fix
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 04:48 PM   #55
ktosiek
Rep
Drives: audi

I can't yet start a new thread so I will ask here:

- Is there any way to shuffle tracks, when playing music from Spotify/SD Card/USB and easily skip to next track with steering wheel controls?
- how is sound quality from harmon-kardon, compared to Audi B&O?
- can the Navigation work with Google maps?
- Is BMW 5 G30 as quiet as Audi A6?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 07:32 PM   #56
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

- Is there any way to shuffle tracks, when playing music from Spotify/SD Card/USB and easily skip to next track with steering wheel controls?
Yes, but depending on source you do or do not see the track name in the HUD.

- how is sound quality from harmon-kardon, compared to Audi B&O?
Far better thank H-K in my last F10 5-series and crisper than the B&O in my partner's S5.

- can the Navigation work with Google maps?
No.

- Is BMW 5 G30 as quiet as Audi A6?
Quieter by far in my experience. I rented an A6 recently and was shocked at how much noise bumps generated through the suspension, and that was with standard (not low profile) wheels and tires compared to 20" on my car. Wind noise is well controlled in either.

Last edited by ArchJR; 05-15-2018 at 05:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 07:50 PM   #57
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Just a quick update if anyone is interested, picked my car up today:

-Camera issue should be resolved via software update

-Sunroof clunk; dealer claims there was debris in the track. Will see if that was true; they advised me to not park under trees with the roof open. I do not park under trees with the roof open. Car is garaged 95% of the time.

-Warm air from footwell while center vents blow cold air, should be resolved with software update

-Active grille vents no longer closing; they thought the software update would fix it. No dice, tests returned faults. Replaced upper and lower active ventilation components
      05-14-2018, 09:10 PM   #58
chasedeez1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 540i

Quote:
Just a quick update if anyone is interested, picked my car up today:

-Camera issue should be resolved via software update

-Sunroof clunk; dealer claims there was debris in the track. Will see if that was true; they advised me to not park under trees with the roof open. I do not park under trees with the roof open. Car is garaged 95% of the time.

-Warm air from footwell while center vents blow cold air, should be resolved with software update

-Active grille vents no longer closing; they thought the software update would fix it. No dice, tests returned faults. Replaced upper and lower active ventilation components
The Camera and Grille Vents Issues Im experiencing the same thing!! The Back Up Camera has been having issues since last year but the Grille Vents just started!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 11:46 AM   #59
BimmerFan998
Registered
Rep
Drives: G30

Standard LED Headlights - Problem?!

I bought my G30 4 days ago and I noticed a line on the wall (between the low and high beam)

Is everything ok with the lights, is that normal?

My G30 has the standard LED headlights.

Name:  497A03F5-15C9-41A6-AE19-EED3ABDB3BF0.jpeg
Views: 3785
Size:  71.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 01:14 PM   #60
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

If you mean that wavy blue line I don't have that.( or is that on the wall?)
Or are you talking chromatic aboration ie splitting the colours slightly?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 01:40 PM   #61
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

[QUOTE=BimmerFan998;23200565]I bought my G30 4 days ago and I noticed a line on the wall (between the low and high beam)

Is everything ok with the lights, is that normal?

My G30 has the standard LED headlights.

Attachment 1825534[/QUOTE
I think they are set so the passenger side is very so slightly higher than the driver side.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 02:46 PM   #62
BimmerFan998
Registered
Rep
Drives: G30

Blue line?

No, the blue line is from the lights. I can see the lline when I drive anywhere. I just got the car, is it some kind of glitch or mailfunction? Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 04:47 PM   #63
nlkccom
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerFan998 View Post
No, the blue line is from the lights. I can see the lline when I drive anywhere. I just got the car, is it some kind of glitch or mailfunction? Any thoughts?
Definitely something is not right with that blue line.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 05:15 PM   #64
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
That's just so random. Hope you'll get it sorted soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 01:13 AM   #65
ztx84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition Xdrive

Quote:
I'd say that is definitely some kind of fault - I haven't seen anything like that on my G30 - just see the light beam, no line... I'd book it in with your dealer so they can take a look.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 09:52 PM   #66
Dhafer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530i M sport 2017

Follow up plz
Appreciate 0