BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications Piggyback Chip Recommendations

08-31-2018, 06:49 AM   #1
dya042
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5

Piggyback Chip Recommendations

All,

I am picking up my new 2018 540i tomorrow and would really love to get a little more performance from the engine. Looking at options, the best route for my budget looks like the piggyback chip. To that end, can you please provide me some guidance and advice? Experience and recommendations are hugely appreciated.

Here is what I found poking around the internet...

It looks like there are three major brands and a couple others:

Berger Motorsports (offers two models for the G30 - JB+ and JB4)
Dinan (offers two models for the G30 - Sport and Stage 1)
Race Chip (offers three models for the G30 - S, RS and GTS)
DTE Systems (offers two models for the G30 - PowerControl and PowerControlX)
Speed-Buster (offers one model for the G30 - Power Module)

Prices range from 199 (Berger JB+) to about 1300 (Dinan Stage 1)

Both Race Chip and DTE claim 15% to 20% fuel economy increases in addition to the power boost. A couple models (the most expensive of course) offer warm-up timers and some have apps (some free, some charge 50 bucks).

All of the chips are range bound at 40 to 90 HP and 50 to 90 torque increases.

@199, the JB+ seems like a great deal (at least on the specs) but I do not want to be short sited... or penny wise, pound foolish.

Doing some simple math, the HP to $ ratio runs between $6 and almost $18 per HP gain per dollar of cost. The Speed-Buster Power Module @ claimed 90 HP and cost of 550 is the leader and the Dinan Stage 1 @ about the same gains but with a price of $1260 is near the bottom (DTE Systems is the bottom @ almost $18).

From the math, easy choice, right? Speed-Buster. But... Dinan is the best and most trusted, right...? I see a lot of mentions of RC too...

So... did I miss any products?

What are your thoughts and experiences?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 08:40 PM   #2
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Dinan is probably expensive because of the warranty it comes with and being available at BMW dealerships. Hope to see some reviews and info for all of the tunes.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 05:08 PM   #3
cmargosi
Rep
Drives: 19 M550, 24 X5 M60 ordered

Bimmerworld has just posted the Speed Buster to the website. It comes highly recommended by James Clay (owner of BW), who I trust implicitly regarding BMWs. I raced BMWs for years and James has never steered me wrong. I want to see install as I'm all thumbs, but I will probably order one up.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 09:56 PM   #4
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Don't these chips void the warranty? Don't know but expecting to get my 540i around Christmas so I'm interested
      09-30-2018, 09:34 AM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
Don't these chips void the warranty? Don't know but expecting to get my 540i around Christmas so I'm interested
Non BMW brand products attached to the car, as simple as USB Charge adapter, will void your car's warranty.
If it is what they think is the cause of the failure or error or malfunction.
But, based on the law, they need to proof it if indeed the aftermarket products that is causing the failure or error or malfunction.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 07:26 AM   #6
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Non BMW brand products attached to the car, as simple as USB Charge adapter, will void your car's warranty.
Although technically accurate, there is likely no way to determine if a USB device was plugged in at some point. On the other hand, engine performance management devices may leave a digital trail that they were installed or used?
      10-01-2018, 09:46 AM   #7
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Although technically accurate, there is likely no way to determine if a USB device was plugged in at some point. On the other hand, engine performance management devices may leave a digital trail that they were installed or used?
This BMW computer system is like a network of servers with sensory and switches.
All local dealer can see using their diagnosis tools are just the surface of the system.
While corporate technicians will be able to see a lot more data logged by the system.
I have heard from my SA that a few cars got flagged by Corporate Tech after they found out that ECU Timer got resetted by external device.
That's just from his dealership.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 01:33 PM   #8
dya042
Rep

UPDATE

Sorry for the long delay... I went with the RaceChip GTS Black from RG Sport. I definitely see /feel a difference. The car pulls a lot stronger under wide-open throttle. I have not yet done a timed test nor a dyno but will endeavor to do so at some point. Definitely worth the money.

Next up for me is coding and exhaust sound. Also interested in upgrading the factory subs with BAVSOUND.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12803.00
      10-01-2018, 08:34 PM   #9
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dya042 View Post
UPDATE

Sorry for the long delay... I went with the RaceChip GTS Black from RG Sport. I definitely see /feel a difference. The car pulls a lot stronger under wide-open throttle. I have not yet done a timed test nor a dyno but will endeavor to do so at some point. Definitely worth the money.

Next up for me is coding and exhaust sound. Also interested in upgrading the factory subs with BAVSOUND.
What sound system do yoj have? You should do the speaker also.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 03:04 PM   #10
Theophilus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW i5 M60

If you're looking to improve the stereo quality, replacing the subwoofers alone won't do much, since the BMW stock amps (even the Harman Kardon) are not very good. I would recommend replacing the amplifier first and then moving on to other components. Audiotec Fischer and Audison have some great options for BMW plug and play replacements.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 08:06 PM   #11
Theophilus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW i5 M60

If you're looking to improve the stereo quality, replacing the subwoofers alone won't do much, since the BMW stock amps (even the Harman Kardon) are not very good. I would recommend replacing the amplifier first and then moving on to other components. Audiotec Fischer and Audison have some great options for BMW plug and play replacements.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 08:56 AM   #12
bpma
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5C Stage 2

Quote:
UPDATE

Sorry for the long delay... I went with the RaceChip GTS Black from RG Sport. I definitely see /feel a difference. The car pulls a lot stronger under wide-open throttle.
On what setting are you driving? I'm currently on 5, I'm a bit worried that driving on 7 all the time could negatively affect the engine longevity. Is that a fair assumption?

In any case, I can confirm the difference after installing Racechip is noticeable. Haven't had a chance to dyno yet but will probably do that by the end of the year out of sheer curiosity.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 09:16 PM   #13
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpma View Post
Quote:
UPDATE

Sorry for the long delay... I went with the RaceChip GTS Black from RG Sport. I definitely see /feel a difference. The car pulls a lot stronger under wide-open throttle.
On what setting are you driving? I'm currently on 5, I'm a bit worried that driving on 7 all the time could negatively affect the engine longevity. Is that a fair assumption?

In any case, I can confirm the difference after installing Racechip is noticeable. Haven't had a chance to dyno yet but will probably do that by the end of the year out of sheer curiosity.
I've been on Map 7 for 10k miles.
All good still.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 02:24 PM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Jb4 is most advanced piggyback with the most features and safety fail-safes

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 01:53 PM   #15
dya042
Rep

I've been on the default map - 5, I think. Have not ventured to do more as of yet.

Re advice on the stereo - thanks all. I have the standard setup (not the HK). I will look into the amps. BAVSOUND has a plug and plug amp too but is a bit pricey. Will definitely look at the others mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 01:10 AM   #16
spectrumphoto
Just another peanut in the Turd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: g16M850;f30M550;f80M3-ED;e90M3

OK...

BF and Cyber Monday are almost here....
Any Consensus on worthwhile piggybacks for the M550?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 06:11 AM   #17
Jelston
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw M550xi

I put some research into this. i wanted a pigback tuner that i could control for a remote device such as an app on my phone. also looking at each of them and for the cost vs horsepower return was important. so the racechip and speedbuster was at the top of my list to look at. of course Dinan would be the best except its 1700ish.

The burger seamed good as well they dont list hp specs for the jb4 only stage 1. which says up to 60hp. it seams as if the difference between stage one and jb4 is the jb4 will give you the option to add the remote or wired remote feature. you can also by added connections for the electrical waste gate control these are added cost which you are around 1300ish. of course they are pushing high hp reading. but thats with different exhaust, and intake with better fuel.

My dealer said they didnt care if i installed one of these devices but i had to have it removed before coming to the dealer. so the risk of modifying waste gate control, and extensive wiring seamed like a pain. Plus for the vost of everything burger offers which they have great tech support and they have many reviews. you might be better off with Dinan.. and i am leaning towards Dinan and ill tell you why in minute.

So i was looking back at racechip and speedbuster. Now they are close to the same price and offer about the same. but when you research the two. I was able to find a lot more info out on racechip which was good. I then got lucky and found someone selling the racechip black gts. which is the best one they have to offer. so i bought it off of ebay. the person claimed everything worked as designed he just sold his car. and thats way he is selling it. so i got it. it was easy to install. Using burgers online manuel as it had more detailed and makes the same connections. it has the seven map setting. so me i went straight to the 7map selection and went for a drive. now i am not sure if i truly am getting 90hp extra. but they things really hauls A#@.. It was fast before but wow. also i learned i have to run 93 to get the good results. those that
live in California i dont think i would go with the pig back tuner. or anyway else even if its 92. there is a difference between the two octanes.

now for the downside. the bluetooth feature doesnt work. they claim it does. i reached out to tech support. and they do have great tech support. they told me on the m550i something about the signal Interference. so everytime i want to change the map selection i have to open the open the hood. which kind of stinks. also i noticed each map setting 1 being the mid and 7 to wild. all have some quarks. not so much between 1-3 but from 4-7. they aren't bad but you might notice a weird shift, or shudder from the the engine. of course at wide open throttle all is good. it does give more power. and if you are on a long trip select a lower map setting you do get better mpg. but i dont feel this thing is Specifically tuned for this car. I think it just has 7 settings that somewhat work. and you have to open the hood to change it. I have left mine on settings 5. it does drive fine for me i get about 14mpg. but buying a car like this i didnt care about mpgs.. its a blast to drive. and i only paid 250 for it..

i did think to return it and by the speedbuster one. the connects are different. cam, crank, and map. a little more similar to Dinan. but they do not have good tech support. and when i contacted a dealer he told me some of these products are made by one or two companies and then other people slap their sticker on it. i still think i would try speedbuster. they just dont have much if at all review.

Now i do feel the Dinan is the best choice of course you dont affect tthe warranty they just released the elite which is giving 57hp and 80tq at 1600. but unlike the pigback tuner this one gives you increased power during acceleration not just at wide open throttle. if money is tight go with a pigback its still fun. but save up your money thats my plan. and you get some that is Specifically made for your car that you plug in and you don't ever have to worry again.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 11:58 AM   #18
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, X3M40i, Audi SQ5

No love for MPSSK?

Quote:
All,

I am picking up my new 2018 540i tomorrow and would really love to get a little more performance from the engine. Looking at options, the best route for my budget looks like the piggyback chip. To that end, can you please provide me some guidance and advice? Experience and recommendations are hugely appreciated.

Here is what I found poking around the internet...

It looks like there are three major brands and a couple others:

Berger Motorsports (offers two models for the G30 - JB+ and JB4)
Dinan (offers two models for the G30 - Sport and Stage 1)
Race Chip (offers three models for the G30 - S, RS and GTS)
DTE Systems (offers two models for the G30 - PowerControl and PowerControlX)
Speed-Buster (offers one model for the G30 - Power Module)

Prices range from 199 (Berger JB+) to about 1300 (Dinan Stage 1)

Both Race Chip and DTE claim 15% to 20% fuel economy increases in addition to the power boost. A couple models (the most expensive of course) offer warm-up timers and some have apps (some free, some charge 50 bucks).

All of the chips are range bound at 40 to 90 HP and 50 to 90 torque increases.

@199, the JB+ seems like a great deal (at least on the specs) but I do not want to be short sited... or penny wise, pound foolish.

Doing some simple math, the HP to $ ratio runs between $6 and almost $18 per HP gain per dollar of cost. The Speed-Buster Power Module @ claimed 90 HP and cost of 550 is the leader and the Dinan Stage 1 @ about the same gains but with a price of $1260 is near the bottom (DTE Systems is the bottom @ almost $18).

From the math, easy choice, right? Speed-Buster. But... Dinan is the best and most trusted, right...? I see a lot of mentions of RC too...

So... did I miss any products?

What are your thoughts and experiences?

Thank you!
I don't see many inquiries or comments on the BMW's M Performance and Sound Kit (MPPSK), which is exhaust and ECU refresh. I have an incoming 540i with just port installed exhaust (MPE) but no ECU install was available. My local dealer was vague about the software. Anybody have info on this ECU upgrade? Good, bad, available, unavailable? Thanks

Last edited by HDEddie1; 11-16-2018 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 08:13 PM   #19
bigdaveindubai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

Jelston, your prices are very high. Some things are half of what you quoted lol. And you might want to read up on the maps for the racechip, pretty sure those high number maps are for highly modded cars, you will just run lean and have crazy shifts and what not.
2012 Boss 302 #2147
2017 Shelby GT350
2017 F250 KR
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 08:50 PM   #20
Jelston
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw M550xi

where can i get the dinan elite for a 2018 m550i for less then 1600? Always looking for a point in the right direction.. Just as a reminder i bought the racechip black used off of ebay...for 250 like mentioned. Also racechips customer services seemed great. they seamed knowledge and always returned any questions quick. They didn't mention any modifications that i needed other then running 93.. Also that BMW safety are all still working. such as the ability for o2 sensor to detect a excessive lean and set a check engine lamp. or with having electric waste gates preventing over boost.

Do you feel i should disconnect racechip. I am always open to postive directions thats what we are here for.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 03:19 AM   #21
spectrumphoto
Just another peanut in the Turd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: g16M850;f30M550;f80M3-ED;e90M3

Interesting and great info Jelston...
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelston View Post
I put some research into this. i wanted a pigback tuner that i could control for a remote device such as an app on my phone. also looking at each of them and for the cost vs horsepower return was important. so the racechip and speedbuster was at the top of my list to look at. of course Dinan would be the best except its 1700ish.

The burger seamed good as well they dont list hp specs for the jb4 only stage 1. which says up to 60hp. it seams as if the difference between stage one and jb4 is the jb4 will give you the option to add the remote or wired remote feature. you can also by added connections for the electrical waste gate control these are added cost which you are around 1300ish. of course they are pushing high hp reading. but thats with different exhaust, and intake with better fuel.

My dealer said they didnt care if i installed one of these devices but i had to have it removed before coming to the dealer. so the risk of modifying waste gate control, and extensive wiring seamed like a pain. Plus for the vost of everything burger offers which they have great tech support and they have many reviews. you might be better off with Dinan.. and i am leaning towards Dinan and ill tell you why in minute.

So i was looking back at racechip and speedbuster. Now they are close to the same price and offer about the same. but when you research the two. I was able to find a lot more info out on racechip which was good. I then got lucky and found someone selling the racechip black gts. which is the best one they have to offer. so i bought it off of ebay. the person claimed everything worked as designed he just sold his car. and thats way he is selling it. so i got it. it was easy to install. Using burgers online manuel as it had more detailed and makes the same connections. it has the seven map setting. so me i went straight to the 7map selection and went for a drive. now i am not sure if i truly am getting 90hp extra. but they things really hauls A#@.. It was fast before but wow. also i learned i have to run 93 to get the good results. those that
live in California i dont think i would go with the pig back tuner. or anyway else even if its 92. there is a difference between the two octanes.

now for the downside. the bluetooth feature doesnt work. they claim it does. i reached out to tech support. and they do have great tech support. they told me on the m550i something about the signal Interference. so everytime i want to change the map selection i have to open the open the hood. which kind of stinks. also i noticed each map setting 1 being the mid and 7 to wild. all have some quarks. not so much between 1-3 but from 4-7. they aren't bad but you might notice a weird shift, or shudder from the the engine. of course at wide open throttle all is good. it does give more power. and if you are on a long trip select a lower map setting you do get better mpg. but i dont feel this thing is Specifically tuned for this car. I think it just has 7 settings that somewhat work. and you have to open the hood to change it. I have left mine on settings 5. it does drive fine for me i get about 14mpg. but buying a car like this i didnt care about mpgs.. its a blast to drive. and i only paid 250 for it..

i did think to return it and by the speedbuster one. the connects are different. cam, crank, and map. a little more similar to Dinan. but they do not have good tech support. and when i contacted a dealer he told me some of these products are made by one or two companies and then other people slap their sticker on it. i still think i would try speedbuster. they just dont have much if at all review.

Now i do feel the Dinan is the best choice of course you dont affect tthe warranty they just released the elite which is giving 57hp and 80tq at 1600. but unlike the pigback tuner this one gives you increased power during acceleration not just at wide open throttle. if money is tight go with a pigback its still fun. but save up your money thats my plan. and you get some that is Specifically made for your car that you plug in and you don't ever have to worry again.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 06:28 AM   #22
bigdaveindubai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelston View Post
where can i get the dinan elite for a 2018 m550i for less then 1600? Always looking for a point in the right direction.. Just as a reminder i bought the racechip black used off of ebay...for 250 like mentioned. Also racechips customer services seemed great. they seamed knowledge and always returned any questions quick. They didn't mention any modifications that i needed other then running 93.. Also that BMW safety are all still working. such as the ability for o2 sensor to detect a excessive lean and set a check engine lamp. or with having electric waste gates preventing over boost.

Do you feel i should disconnect racechip. I am always open to postive directions thats what we are here for.
Sorry I always assume because I am in the G30 section everyone has a 540i, I forget there are other models. I have no dog in this fight, good luck.
2012 Boss 302 #2147
2017 Shelby GT350
2017 F250 KR
Appreciate 0