BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing wifi

03-19-2019, 12:09 PM   #1
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

wifi

I may have posted this before but I went back 3 years and couldnt find the original one. My kids complain constantly that "my wifi is laggy" I've got one wifi booster in the house but its a 4k square foot house so may not be enough? Is there a "super booster" or something or should I just tell the kids be happy with what they got?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 12:14 PM   #2
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

I've had success with this. Just make sure to put it into bridge mode and it will piggyback off your existing wifi router/modem and use the same ssid.

https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Tri-b...s%2C123&sr=8-4
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7555.50
      03-19-2019, 01:45 PM   #3
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

Ubiquiti access points, you can place as many as you need. Not too expensive, not too hard to setup. Work very well.

Steve
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7555.50
      03-21-2019, 08:57 AM   #4
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyDog View Post
Ubiquiti access points, you can place as many as you need. Not too expensive, not too hard to setup. Work very well.

Steve
I also have an Amplifi setup.

It does have one major flaw, if the router dies, all your access points become worthless. They hard code the access points to the router for "easy setup" as if plugging in a few addresses into the app on your phone is hard.

Just something to think about.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 09:28 AM   #5
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyDog View Post

Steve
This..

I run a small array of Unifi's in my house. Am able to cover it 100% with very good signal for the entire property.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 09:30 AM   #6
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I also have an Amplifi setup.

It does have one major flaw, if the router dies, all your access points become worthless. They hard code the access points to the router for "easy setup" as if plugging in a few addresses into the app on your phone is hard.

Just something to think about.
It's not really a flaw. It's part of how centrally managed wireless systems work. With other systems which work this way, they provide an option to have a backup wireless controller to take over if the primary fails.

I haven't used any of the Ubiquiti wireless systems myself. But have read about them in passing. I think there's a software based controller you can run to administer the system.

There are other systems out there where a specific access point is designated by either configuration or election to be the master virtual controller. If that AP goes down, either a new election process is kicked off or if you configured another AP to be a standby virtual controller would take over. One such system is from Aruba Networks called Instant APs.

On the OP where he is thinking about using a booster or range extender, don't. These devices are one of the worst things you can do to add into a wireless system.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 09:55 AM   #7
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I haven't used any of the Ubiquiti wireless systems myself. But have read about them in passing. I think there's a software based controller you can run to administer the system.
Correct. Theres a controller "server" that can run on a computer. I run it locally on my laptop (macbook pro) to administer the entire array.

However, its very complex, and designed for enterprise network administrators or other extremely tech savvy people.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 11:03 AM   #8
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Correct. Theres a controller "server" that can run on a computer. I run it locally on my laptop (macbook pro) to administer the entire array.

However, its very complex, and designed for enterprise network administrators or other extremely tech savvy people.
It's important to note that it seems as though you are speaking of Unifi vs me talking about Amplifi.

Very different products.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 11:32 AM   #9
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
It's important to note that it seems as though you are speaking of Unifi vs me talking about Amplifi.

Very different products.
Ah right, missed that. Though I'm sure the controller is similar if not the same for both.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 01:37 PM   #10
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Ah right, missed that. Though I'm sure the controller is similar if not the same for both.
There is just a phone app. It's a consumer application, not a commercial one.

And what I mentioned earlier is a fact, because I spoke with Amplifi when my router died in a thunderstorm.

They told me I had to buy an entire new kit because the mesh points are hardcoded at the factory to each router. It's the most amount of crap I've ever heard in my life.

It would be super easy to plug the ID address into the app for setup of the mesh points.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 02:37 PM   #11
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
There is just a phone app. It's a consumer application, not a commercial one.

And what I mentioned earlier is a fact, because I spoke with Amplifi when my router died in a thunderstorm.

They told me I had to buy an entire new kit because the mesh points are hardcoded at the factory to each router. It's the most amount of crap I've ever heard in my life.

It would be super easy to plug the ID address into the app for setup of the mesh points.
Seems odd. They sell the mesh points and routers separately. Are you telling me that once you "pair" them, they are locked like that forever?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:23 AM   #12
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Seems odd. They sell the mesh points and routers separately. Are you telling me that once you "pair" them, they are locked like that forever?
If you buy one of the "kits" yes. Because when my router died, I immediately overnighted a new router to my house. Couldn't find anyway to get it to connect to the existing mesh points.

Reached out to customer service and that's what they told me. I was able to talk them into sending me a new kit.

This happened in August of last year to me. Perhaps they have since changed the ridiculous practice.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:26 AM   #13
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Just checked their website, it appears they now have an "Instant System." Perhaps that is now the "easy" button one with no setup needed. Just plug everything in and set your password.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:46 AM   #14
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

This happened in August of last year to me. Perhaps they have since changed the ridiculous practice.
Agreed. thats extremely ridiculous.
Appreciate 0