BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing Chromebook

08-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #1
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Chromebook

looking at google chromebooks to replace my waaay outdated Toshiba laptop. I'm not going to game on it, just for web and email stuff. amazon has some in the $220 range. PC nerds discuss..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 01:50 PM   #2
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I have a Samsung Chromebook 3. Bought one for my sister, too. For web and email and meetings, it's perfect. Our school has a great VMware desktop system, so I just open up the VMware client and I have a fully functioning Windows 10 Enterprise desktop at my disposal. All in a sub-$300 laptop that weighs nothing. Plus, I run a Windows 10 Pro box at home and my own VPN, so if I really need a Windows interface outside the office, I fire up the VPN on the Chromebook and RDP to the Win 10 box. Otherwise I just use the native setup for email and surfing. Cheap and easy.

That said, my primary laptop is still my 13" MacBook Pro. That's what I have open in front of me almost all the time at home. It's what I use to process images with Photoshop. Both devices have their place.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7555.50
      09-04-2019, 07:49 AM   #3
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
I just bought a refurb chromebook for $69. My plan is for websurfing only and maybe downloading videos off my dash cam. I plan on leaving it in my car. Will report back how it works out. I have unlimited hotspot on my cell phone so that's how I plan on accessing the internet from the car.
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7555.50
      03-09-2020, 04:42 AM   #4
GertrudRouthier
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

That's a good decision. Though many laptop brands are offering Chromebooks in the market but HP Chromebook X2 is my favourite because it is very reliable for multitasking with near about 12 hours battery life.
Appreciate 0