BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding iDrive 7 voice commands

10-29-2019, 12:49 PM   #1
maxm6
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i, 2009 Z435i 2007 M6

iDrive 7 voice commands

Anybody aware of or have a voice commands available to share. I have a 2020 M550 and did simple searches to get a current list but nothing even close to accurate or updated shows up.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 01:46 PM   #2
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxm6 View Post
Anybody aware of or have a voice commands available to share. I have a 2020 M550 and did simple searches to get a current list but nothing even close to accurate or updated shows up.
"Hey BMW, I'm cold."

I know that's one of them.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 05:23 PM   #3
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
I haven't tried or yet compiled a list of any kind, but it seems to reasonably understand what I'm saying which is impressive in its own right (few things understand what I'm saying).

I usually say "Take me (to) <place>" and it does a great job of picking up where that is. Stuff like Home, Whole Foods, Street Address, etc."

Or while I'm listening to SiriusXM stuff as simple as "Switch to <station>" switching me to the station.

I use the button on the steering wheel as I'm not interested in saying "Hey, BMW". I will probably configure another word and might then consider using it that way,.

But my advice would be to try just using it and seeing what happens. It prefers too work when it has an internet connection in the car. So it will limit itself when that isn't possible. Meaning, it is leveraging some stuff on BMW servers so commands can change and be enhanced over time. Since they didn't give an extensive list with the car it appears they don't want us to learn commands so much as have them learn what we mean.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 06:55 AM   #4
maxm6
Rep

I guess the main reason the question came up in the first place is because I had seen in BMW YouTube video, someone say "hey BMW, I am cold" and it slightly increased the interior temp. I tied in in my 2020 and it say something like, unfortunately the climate system does not work with speech. I asked my dealer and they only say that, "hey BMW revitalize me" will work. I saw it in an official BMW video. It just comes down to you don't know what you don't know yet again. I am willing to try but its hard to try when you don't really have any idea of what it is capable of. I see it mostly as a gimmick anyway but sometimes speech can make things easier on those long journeys. The take me to (destination) works all the time and is a nice time saver.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 12:18 PM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Dial number

Radio <name of station>
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 09:53 PM   #6
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
I guess the main reason the question came up in the first place is because I had seen in BMW YouTube video, someone say "hey BMW, I am cold" and it slightly increased the interior temp. I tied in in my 2020 and it say something like, unfortunately the climate system does not work with speech. I asked my dealer and they only say that, "hey BMW revitalize me" will work. I saw it in an official BMW video. It just comes down to you don't know what you don't know yet again. I am willing to try but its hard to try when you don't really have any idea of what it is capable of. I see it mostly as a gimmick anyway but sometimes speech can make things easier on those long journeys. The take me to (destination) works all the time and is a nice time saver.
Yeah I can understand that for sure. Even Siri does a good job of offering suggestions. I did a short visit with the BMW Genius at the dealer and the personal assistant supports a lot more than I were would have expected to try and I'm sure there are a lot more than I'll figure out without any sort of guide.

We didn't try it, but I'll try and see if the Help command will offer me some insight into functions it supports.

Although the climate control might not be supported yet. I wonder if this is something that could come with an update.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 03:21 AM   #7
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post

Although the climate control might not be supported yet. I wonder if this is something that could come with an update.
The control of climate etc. wont be available. The cut down version of iDrive 7.0 won’t receive updates taking it to the full version. My Oct 19 530e had to have a complete software reinstall and the dealer showed me a confidential internal document. The facilities for ‘Intelligent Functions’ and ‘In Car Experiences’ will never become available. Similarly, the remote software update will never be available and so any other iDrive 7.0 improvements / increases in functionality won’t be available. This applies to G30, G31, F90, G32, G01 & G02.

You’ll have to wait and buy the next version of these cars to get the same functionality of say the new G20
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2019, 12:57 PM   #8
maxm6
Rep

Appreciate the insight. I did not even know there were multiple versions of ID7. Which models have the full version, any idea?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 03:35 PM   #9
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Appreciate the insight. I did not even know there were multiple versions of ID7. Which models have the full version, any idea?
My guess is anything that has had a refresh post ID7.

X5, 3 series, and 7 series.

I expected a "lite" version of ID7 on the G30 with the LCI due next year. My question has always been how "lite" is it? As I have a hard rule not to buy the first year or "run" of any product. Been burned on this front too many times! So the LCI wasn't an option for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 04:00 PM   #10
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
My guess is anything that has had a refresh post ID7.

X5, 3 series, and 7 series.

I expected a "lite" version of ID7 on the G30 with the LCI due next year. My question has always been how "lite" is it? As I have a hard rule not to buy the first year or "run" of any product. Been burned on this front too many times! So the LCI wasn't an option for me.
I think the LCI will have the full version the same as the new G20. The dealer tells me BMW are regretting partially implementing iDrive 7.0 into the G30 as buyers are disappointed having seen all the marketing hype of the full version and also as with my car, it can create software problems as the technology isn’t as it should be.

My real complaint is that they haven’t made the options the same either. The G20 has Drive Assist Professional rather than Advanced and reverse assistant isn’t available on the G30 but is on the G20 - although the option prices are less on the G20 ! Professional has the camera in the dash so in stop go traffic the car will take off even if you are stopped for a long time, as long as you are looking ahead. In Advanced the car won’t take off if you stop for more than a few seconds.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 04:38 PM   #11
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wivenhoe View Post
I think the LCI will have the full version the same as the new G20. The dealer tells me BMW are regretting partially implementing iDrive 7.0 into the G30 as buyers are disappointed having seen all the marketing hype of the full version and also as with my car, it can create software problems as the technology isn’t as it should be.

My real complaint is that they haven’t made the options the same either. The G20 has Drive Assist Professional rather than Advanced and reverse assistant isn’t available on the G30 but is on the G20 - although the option prices are less on the G20 ! Professional has the camera in the dash so in stop go traffic the car will take off even if you are stopped for a long time, as long as you are looking ahead. In Advanced the car won’t take off if you stop for more than a few seconds.
Yeah I have a G30 w/ ID7 (530e) and it feels a bit in the middle for sure. But I'm not bothered by its limitations so far. As even the full ID7 has its warts as well.

The 3 series forum is full of quirks for it and they still aren't yet getting over the air updates. Not to mention the issues they may bring along as all of this seems a bit "beta" for BMW. We'll see if I change my tune as the cake bakes a bit more though.

I'm also happy some stuff is missing from the current version of the ID7 "lite" implementation on the G30. For instance, the G30 w/ ID7 still requires you to hold the parking assistance button when automatic parking is active. Full ID7 cars don't require this and it does help a bit knowing I just have to lift my hand to stop the car in its tracks!

I'd say the only feature I'd like to have from the LCI, but can't is laser lights.

In regards to option pricing I don't think option pricing is driven by costs. They are IMHO used to stabilize the price of the car so BMW plays around with pricing and what's in various packages to stay competitive in their segment as well as stabilize pricing a bit. Pricing for the 5 series is probably under a lot more pressure than pricing on a 3 series (meaning people likely negotiate pricing down more on a 5 than a 3 and BMW doesn't want to sell cars at a loss!).
Appreciate 0