BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum DIY Discussions / Guides / Instructions DIY: Hardwiring a dash cam and radar detector

03-22-2019, 03:19 AM   #23
dgilbert2
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Series 5 G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintalan View Post
..... I do get some interference/drop out with (UK) DAB Radio. Not sure that is to do with Dash-cam but I do have wiring to rear camera also which I have heard can be a problem.
I have just installed a Nextbase 312GW dashcam (UK spec G30) following this hardwiring information (really helped BTW thank you). I used F59 but did not remove the airbag trim panel, I just slotted the wires in the gap at the top of it and then down behind the door seal.

I now experience the dreaded DAB radio drop out / loss of distant stations which instantly return when I switch off the dashcam. If the dashcam is working but not plugged into the feed down to F59, again the DAB stations return.

I have tried a ferrite clamp on the cable from the dashcam but it made no difference.

Has anyone an other suggestions please?

Last edited by dgilbert2; 03-22-2019 at 04:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 09:12 AM   #24
VirtualGuitars
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgilbert2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintalan View Post
..... I do get some interference/drop out with (UK) DAB Radio. Not sure that is to do with Dash-cam but I do have wiring to rear camera also which I have heard can be a problem.
I have just installed a Nextbase 312GW dashcam (UK spec G30) following this hardwiring information (really helped BTW thank you). I used F59 but did not remove the airbag trim panel, I just slotted the wires in the gap at the top of it and then down behind the door seal.

I now experience the dreaded DAB radio drop out / loss of distant stations which instantly return when I switch off the dashcam. If the dashcam is working but not plugged into the feed down to F59, again the DAB stations return.

I have tried a ferrite clamp on the cable from the dashcam but it made no difference.

Has anyone an other suggestions please?
I used block F50 with a fuse tap. That fuse controls the cigarette lighter for the front & rear of the vehicle. No problems whatsoever.
Attached Images

05-07-2019, 04:20 PM   #25
bryans11
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
I used block F50 with a fuse tap. That fuse controls the cigarette lighter for the front & rear of the vehicle. No problems whatsoever.
Hey thanks for the walkthrough, I have a 2018 m550i and was planning to have a local guy just install the DR750S-2CH with your instructions

Quote:
Studying the Z44 circuit diagrams revealed that fuse F59 is completely unused (indicated by a red box with an X) and is directly connected to the switched 12V power bus in the panel, so this is an ideal spot to install a fused expansion circuit using a STANDARD ATO size fuse tap (ie NOT a mini fuse tap) without disturbing anything else in the vehicle. If you need unswitched (continuous) power for dashcam parking mode operation, unused F28 is also available, but you risk running down the car battery if you don't drive the car very often.
But if I want park monitoring, can I use the F28 and add https://www.blackvue.com/power-magic-pro so that it won't run down car battery? Has it been tested with BMW systems? Or should I additionally purchase https://www.blackvue.com/product/pow...battery-b-124/ and stick with your suggested F59?

Or am I completely overthinking the park monitoring and should just rely on blackvues detection during a break in and have it wired exactly like you have it? I was concerned about people keying the car which I don't think would activate the motion sensor

Thanks in advance if you can help!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 05:26 PM   #26
VirtualGuitars
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryans11 View Post
Quote:
Hey thanks for the walkthrough, I have a 2018 m550i and was planning to have a local guy just install the DR750S-2CH with your instructions

Quote:
Studying the Z44 circuit diagrams revealed that fuse F59 is completely unused (indicated by a red box with an X) and is directly connected to the switched 12V power bus in the panel, so this is an ideal spot to install a fused expansion circuit using a STANDARD ATO size fuse tap (ie NOT a mini fuse tap) without disturbing anything else in the vehicle. If you need unswitched (continuous) power for dashcam parking mode operation, unused F28 is also available, but you risk running down the car battery if you don't drive the car very often.
But if I want park monitoring, can I use the F28 and add https://www.blackvue.com/power-magic-pro so that it won't run down car battery? Has it been tested with BMW systems? Or should I additionally purchase https://www.blackvue.com/product/pow...battery-b-124/ and stick with your suggested F59?

Or am I completely overthinking the park monitoring and should just rely on blackvues detection during a break in and have it wired exactly like you have it? I was concerned about people keying the car which I don't think would activate the motion sensor

Thanks in advance if you can help!
I just responded to your PM.
      05-10-2019, 03:37 AM   #27
bobbyggx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '18 BMW G30 540i xDrive

Guys, just one alternative, as BMW is selling the "Advanced car eye" and it has a retrofit guide which can be used for aftermarket cameras as well.

BMW Advanced Car eye 2.0 Installation manual
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 03:40 AM   #28
VirtualGuitars
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyggx View Post
Guys, just one alternative, as BMW is selling the "Advanced car eye" and it has a retrofit guide which can be used for aftermarket cameras as well.

BMW Advanced Car eye 2.0 Installation manual
FYI, if you have the rear sunshade this will not work in the back.
      05-10-2019, 07:19 AM   #29
bobbyggx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '18 BMW G30 540i xDrive

I have the sunshade, but I would never spend the amount which BMW is asking for this camera.

I am using Viofo A129s and happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 10:07 AM   #30
RLSinCO
Maximum Effort
Rep
Drives: 18 BMW M550i

Quote:
FYI, if you have the rear sunshade this will not work in the back.
[Edited - I finally got the dashcam powered!]

Hey everyone,

So I really appreciate this DIY guide and used it for my dashcam installation.

Great news for anyone looking for a dual dash cam but restricted by the rear power sun shade: I got the Thinkware F800 Pro dual dashcam and I also have the power rear sunshade - because of it's small form factor the rear camera CAN be installed without interfering with the motion of the rear sunshade!

Last edited by RLSinCO; 06-04-2019 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
clee1982481.00

06-04-2019, 02:46 PM   #31
clee1982
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLSinCO View Post

Hey everyone,

Great news for anyone looking for a dual dash cam but restricted by the rear power sun shade: I got the Thinkware F800 Pro dual dashcam and I also have the power rear sunshade - because of it's small form factor the rear camera CAN be installed without interfering with the motion of the rear sunshade!
nice, can you share a picture, how close does it get to the power rear sunshade
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 08:48 PM   #32
JSTDR1V
Saving Lives Since 2000
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 & 2016 X5 35i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2016 BMW X5 35i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLSinCO View Post

Hey everyone,

For the record there is a MASSIVE amount of room between the sun shade and the glass. I got a grdian and there is an immense amount of room.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 09:09 AM   #33
drtbar
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550

Just wanted to post to say many thanks for this writeup and info.

With the help of the info here, last night I installed a uniden R7 to the right of my rearview mirror. I ran the wire to the driver's side down the pillar so that I could have the smart wire box to quickly mute false readings.

I had to splice the included wire with a longer wire to bring it back to the right side to the fuse box per the instructions above. Worked like a charm.

Thanks again!!
Appreciate 0