BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Connected Drive after selling car

11-04-2019, 02:14 PM   #1
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Connected Drive after selling car

I sold my Merc E Class over a week ago but MercedesMe kept sending me messages saying the car was unlocked. I used the App and could see exactly where the car was and if it was locked, I could have unlocked it !

From what I see of Connected Drive, the same could be done on a BMW. Has anyone sold a car where the buying dealer has removed access to the car ? (My Merc went through main dealers).

Also, if a thief took the VIN from the windscreen of a parked car, could they register it on Connected Drive and see the location and go to it, unlock it and then drive it away using old fashioned ‘hot wiring’ as the alarm and immobiliser will be off. Hopefully, someone can confirm that a car can only be accessed by Connected Drive by one user !
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 02:30 PM   #2
Beemerguy530
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530D

I would log out of connected drive in the car and then reset to default settings before handing car over if changing. This should mean that the vehicle is no longer connected or associated to the online account. Normally to set up or connect to a vehicle it would need to send a message to the vehicle to "pair" the account to the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 03:45 PM   #3
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerguy530 View Post
I would log out of connected drive in the car and then reset to default settings before handing car over if changing. This should mean that the vehicle is no longer connected or associated to the online account. Normally to set up or connect to a vehicle it would need to send a message to the vehicle to "pair" the account to the vehicle.
Good point regards someone being unable to log in just using the VIN - I missed that. I reset all settings in the Merc but could still access it via the App. I am taking the ‘loaner’ back Friday (collecting my new 530e) so I’ll reset everything and see if I can still access via Connected Drive
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 05:02 PM   #4
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

In the iDrive menu there is a option clear all private data, when that is gone all connections with the app are gone. The nav last destinations are still there, but that depends on the software version you have
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 05:40 PM   #5
Johnny Grabble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wivenhoe View Post
I sold my Merc E Class over a week ago but MercedesMe kept sending me messages saying the car was unlocked. I used the App and could see exactly where the car was and if it was locked, I could have unlocked it !

From what I see of Connected Drive, the same could be done on a BMW. Has anyone sold a car where the buying dealer has removed access to the car ? (My Merc went through main dealers).

Also, if a thief took the VIN from the windscreen of a parked car, could they register it on Connected Drive and see the location and go to it, unlock it and then drive it away using old fashioned ‘hot wiring’ as the alarm and immobiliser will be off. Hopefully, someone can confirm that a car can only be accessed by Connected Drive by one user !
I traded in my 2015 F10 for a G30 and for at least 3 months after the trade in I could still access the location of the F10 on my phone and (theorectically at least, I never tried, I am after all an honest chap) flash the lights, lock and unlock it, etc. from my phone.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 07:17 AM   #6
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

I traded my F01 for the G30, and once it sold (via the BMW dealer) they registered the car to the new owner and I received an email that the car was no longer on my Connected Drive.

I uninstalled the app from my Android phone because it would always start up every time I got in the car (the app, not the car) which I found to be very annoying. And it didn't work more often than it did anyway.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 06:06 AM   #7
TreyWaters
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Good point regards someone being unable to log in just using the VIN - I missed that. I reset all settings in the Merc but could still access it via the App. I am taking the ‘loaner’ back Friday (collecting my new 530e) so I’ll reset everything and see if I can still access via Connected Drive
I don't think Merc does any sort of verification. You just need the VIN - at least that's how it was a few years ago.

Someone in OK has the same name as me, and keeps giving my email address as theirs. They apparently bought a new Merc, because I got a congratulatory email from Merc that included their VIN. For fun, I thought I would see if I could register and connect to the car...and I did. Never did anything nefarious, but the Mercedes app had full access to the car.
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i - Silver / Red (2006-2009)
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 01:31 PM   #8
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I did the reset which removes all personal data. Went on Connected Drive and the car and all services ar3 available !
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 06:53 AM   #9
Beemerguy530
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530D

Quote:
Quote:
I did the reset which removes all personal data. Went on Connected Drive and the car and all services ar3 available !
That's strange. I would have expected that clearing the data and resetting would mean the link between the car and connected drive account would be gone. It would need another "pairing" action to be established as activating sends a message to the vehicle. Something like within 24hrs before it expires.
Appreciate 0