BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis OEM BMW antiroll/sway bar info dump

12-28-2021, 06:49 PM   #1
Knifeedge2k1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520i 2019

OEM BMW antiroll/sway bar info dump

I spent most of my morning cataloging the different size bars the different trim levels use

Unfortunately I can't find the diameters of any of the front bars anywhere despite searching for hours.

On the rear the bars are anywhere from 18mm to 25.7mm stock G30 (non M5) and the M5 non competition has 32mm front and 30mm rear.

With that said, we can't really know how stiff any of the stock bars are as we don't know whether they are solid or hollow and if hole what the wall thickness is...

The best way to upgrade I guess is to buy them as pairs for aftermarket (so both front and rear same brand & "stage") or to upgrade to OEM parts as a set with maybe the rear bars one "step" thicker.

Doc here
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...u_N1KQ/pubhtml

Depending on market, model, trim, option package you could have anything between 18mm to 25.7mm rear ARB in a non Mcar 5er sedan, the 5er wagons run stiffer rear bars like for like compared to the sedan.
Appreciate 1
Lancelot566.00
      03-01-2022, 05:37 AM   #2
Boosted_8
Captain
Rep
Drives: M550i

I got lucky today and found some cheap sway bars from a damaged F90 M5 base model. The front is 32mm and the rear 30mm. I expect the rear will go right on as the links are the same part number, need to investigate the front and if the vibration dampers can be reused.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 06:08 AM   #3
Knifeedge2k1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520i 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted_8 View Post
I got lucky today and found some cheap sway bars from a damaged F90 M5 base model. The front is 32mm and the rear 30mm. I expect the rear will go right on as the links are the same part number, need to investigate the front and if the vibration dampers can be reused.
The rear vibration dampers can be reused but you should definitely get the rubber bushings and the mounts from the donor

The fronts are a bit harder to install though but again, grab the mounts and bushings from the donor

Not the worst thing if they're not included as they're easily found on online parts websites
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 06:26 AM   #4
Boosted_8
Captain
Rep
Drives: M550i

So to update those interested. If you fit F90 anti roll bars to a G30 you need to ensure you have all of the mounting brackets and drop links from the donating M5. You will use a combination of these with the original drop links. The vibration dampers cannot be mounted on the M5 brackets. However if you have already ditched the runflats and your wheels are wheel balanced it's largely redundant anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 09:30 PM   #5
Weekend Warrior G30
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xdrive base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted_8 View Post
So to update those interested. If you fit F90 anti roll bars to a G30 you need to ensure you have all of the mounting brackets and drop links from the donating M5. You will use a combination of these with the original drop links. The vibration dampers cannot be mounted on the M5 brackets. However if you have already ditched the runflats and your wheels are wheel balanced it's largely redundant anyway.
Hello I am looking to do this, when you say brackets do you mean just the metal cap that holds the bushings on?
Appreciate 0