BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Another 530e Pre-Conditioning Question

11-08-2019, 10:57 AM   #1
MontyP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Another 530e Pre-Conditioning Question

Hello All,

In the past I have used my BMW Connected App to precondition (i.e. warm up) my car in the winter when it was plugged in. I did this using the "Charge and Set Climatization" option in the app allowing me to program my departure time during the week. I have not used the app to precondition (i.e. cool down) my car in several months because I leave early enough in the morning that a hot interior is not an issue.

As winter has now returned, I have attempted to use the pre-conditioning feature again. As in the past, I used the "Charge & Set Climatization" feature in the ConnectedApp, set the departure time for 8:00 am Mon-Fri, made sure the setting was "on" with the slide-switch icon and hit "Send". I got the green bar saying the command was sent successfully to the vehicle.

Alas, the pre-conditioning did not work and the car was cold yesterday morning. I tried resending the command when I arrived home last night and noticed that the 8:00 am departure time appeared in the car's display. Alas it did not work again this morning.

I have not changed any settings in the car that should affect this feature since last using it in the Spring however the car has been into the dealership for an oil change and "programming recall".

Is there a setting in the car that might have been changed that I need to reset? I tried looking in the Owner's Manual but it simply says that the Owner's Manual for the BMW Connected app can be found on the portal (whatever that is) or at www.bmw.com. I went to the later and searched ConnectedDrive but was unable to find any helpful guidance.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Can you set this in iDrive directly? Might be a bit more reliable if set this way.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 11:14 AM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Mine has always worked but in my case for air conditioning. But I have always used it in "condition now" form so I don't have experience your way (I mostly only use it after hours of golf in the summer; in my garage the car doesn't get hot enough to require your system).
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 01:40 PM   #4
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyP View Post
Hello All,

Is there a setting in the car that might have been changed that I need to reset? I tried looking in the Owner's Manual but it simply says that the Owner's Manual for the BMW Connected app can be found on the portal (whatever that is) or at www.bmw.com. I went to the later and searched ConnectedDrive but was unable to find any helpful guidance.

Thanks in advance.
Apologies if this sounds stupid - what temperature have you set the heating to. It heats only to the temp set when you leave it, so if you turn it down towards the end of a journey the car won’t heat. If you have set it to say 25 then it sounds like you need to get a dealer to look at it
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 03:35 PM   #5
MontyP
Private First Class
Rep

It’s set to 21. Definitely not because the car is already at temp. It has been 0 or below each morning. I suspect it’s yet another glitch with the app. Maybe I’ll try reinstalling. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 07:27 PM   #6
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyP View Post
It’s set to 21. Definitely not because the car is already at temp. It has been 0 or below each morning. I suspect it’s yet another glitch with the app. Maybe I’ll try reinstalling. Thanks.
Does it work better if you skip the app and set it in iDrive directly?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 05:23 PM   #7
MontyP
Private First Class
Rep

Problem solved. In the Vehicle Setting menu there was an allow pre-conditioning option that was not checked (perhaps as a result of the aforementioned programming recall). I checked the box and the car was warmed up this morning.

Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0