BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Watches Swiss Watches vs Apple Watch

04-17-2015, 01:22 PM   #23
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
This is considered fashion also mate...

That just makes me hungry.
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2015, 01:47 PM   #24
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybingo View Post
I saw the cost breakdown of this watch.. it cost $65 for apple to produce this junk.. so you paying $300+ for an apple logo
Your phone is junk and you paid at least a 65% margin for what ever logo is on it.
      04-17-2015, 01:54 PM   #25
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Tall trees catch the most wind mate...
True enough.

The meat and potatoes of my point was that this watch as well as other smart watches is the start of wearable technology.

Anyone remember mobile phone technology in it's infancy? It wasn't pretty.
      04-17-2015, 02:09 PM   #26
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
How is 18 hours half a day? Do you need it to last the full 24 hours because you never sleep?
Really? It doesn't matter if it lasts 18 hours or 3 weeks... It's adding one more step of complication for the user that didn't previously exist before (ie: must remember to charge watch every night and add another charging cable on the bedside table).

I've heard a few folks say "we rejected the iPhone/iPad when it came out too". Well it's important to note that the iPhone/iPad addressed a pain point by simplifying the users life. It provided a seamless way to streamline multiple devices into one (ie: desktop/laptop/phone/tv/etc). Other than an ego stroking for some of those attention starved first adopters, the jury is still out on what need/pain point the Apple watch actually addresses.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2015, 03:05 PM   #27
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
does anyone remember calculator watches? haha those things were funny. expensive when they first came out. so much processing power in a watch? whhhaaattt???!! they turned really cheap really fast and i don't seem too much anymore.
      04-17-2015, 03:10 PM   #28
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
Really? It doesn't matter if it lasts 18 hours or 3 weeks... It's adding one more step of complication for the user that didn't previously exist before (ie: must remember to charge watch every night and add another charging cable on the bedside table).

I've heard a few folks say "we rejected the iPhone/iPad when it came out too". Well it's important to note that the iPhone/iPad addressed a pain point by simplifying the users life. It provided a seamless way to streamline multiple devices into one (ie: desktop/laptop/phone/tv/etc). Other than an ego stroking for some of those attention starved first adopters, the jury is still out on what need/pain point the Apple watch actually addresses.
I agree that it's more add-on functionality than a "need to have", but what about people who wear watches in general? What function does wearing a Rolex serve that can't be provided by your car, phone, oven, microwave, computer, etc? This doesn't seem to stop people from buying Rolexes.

The point I'm trying to make is that people will buy things because they like it, and you can't really try to justify it. Most non car enthusiasts would say we're crazy for driving expensive BMWs, when you can buy a significantly cheaper car to get you from point A to B.

EDIT: Full disclosure, I am a watch enthusiast who owns a variety of timepieces and do have an Apple Watch on order.
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone

Last edited by SunnyD; 04-17-2015 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 03:40 PM   #29
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
does anyone remember calculator watches? haha those things were funny. expensive when they first came out. so much processing power in a watch? whhhaaattt???!! they turned really cheap really fast and i don't seem too much anymore.
Ha I remember my friend had one which could function as a TV remote also. We would go to the mall and fuck with the TVs. Ahhh the good ol days.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 04:16 PM   #30
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Not that I disagree with most of the statement here.

But there are many before you who said the same thing when Apple came out with the ipod and the iphone and the ipad. I too like the standard watch and the engineering the craftsmanship that goes into a good watch. Just because it does not have machanical movement which run on jewels and such does not mean it is any less an engineering or craftsman feat.

However,how do you explain the Apple gold version being completely sold out in under an hour and the wait time is now out past July. I would image any swiss watch maker would like to be in the same situation on their top of the line watches. There are some cars in this world which have a year wait list to take delivery, how many watch do you know have a 3 month wait list for something that cost $10K or above.

These are now a fashion item and obvious there are people with money who see the value in having one.
Fashion items? Lol...
Aren't all watches fashion items? Or do you need to spend thousands or hundreds of thousands so you can know what time it is?

Obviously someone rocking a Rolex, Patek Philippe, Panerai, etc, is wearing it as an accessory. The same way people will be wearing the apple watch.
      04-17-2015, 04:16 PM   #31
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

The biggest issue with the apple watch is the fact that it will be obsolete very soon. The first model year may become a collector's item. After that first one the rest will be obsolete within a year or 2 & will not have collector's value.

I also do not understand why I would like immediate notifications. When I am with a person then I am fully present for that person. Electronics do not come in the way. My patients deserve 100% of my attention. I do not need a watch to tap me every time I get an email or a text message. If I am not with a person then I do not mute my phone and I get immediate notification.

A Rolex on the other hand will always be a Rolex. It will not be obsolete.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 04:24 PM   #32
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield
The biggest issue with the apple watch is the fact that it will be obsolete very soon. The first model year may become a collector's item. After that first one the rest will be obsolete within a year or 2 & will not have collector's value.

I also do not understand why I would like immediate notifications. When I am with a person then I am fully present for that person. Electronics do not come in the way. My patients deserve 100% of my attention. I do not need a watch to tap me every time I get an email or a text message. If I am not with a person then I do not mute my phone and I get immediate notification.

A Rolex on the other hand will always be a Rolex. It will not be obsolete.
Always is a very strong word, you don't know what newer generations will be interested in. Babies born today, around all this technology and electronics might not care for a regular hand watch when they get older. Once people don't care.. It's obsolete.
      04-20-2015, 10:15 AM   #33
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quartz watches almost killed off the Swiss and I don't see it happening with these new watches. Nobody wants to talk into a watch. You look like an idiot. Kinda like the people who walk around wearing a BT ear piece.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 10:22 AM   #34
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW335TT View Post
Aren't all watches fashion items? Or do you need to spend thousands or hundreds of thousands so you can know what time it is?

Obviously someone rocking a Rolex, Patek Philippe, Panerai, etc, is wearing it as an accessory. The same way people will be wearing the apple watch.
You're right for the most part but a really accurate , smooth, low maintenance mechanical is expensive.

Owning a good mechanical sends a nod to the engineering required to design the movement.

Ever see a mechanical with a hand for milliseconds? It's amazing.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 07:39 AM   #35
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
The first gen might suck, I think the 2nd gen will be more attractive
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 07:44 AM   #36
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quartz watches almost killed off the Swiss and I don't see it happening with these new watches. Nobody wants to talk into a watch. You look like an idiot. Kinda like the people who walk around wearing a BT ear piece.
So do people taking selfies or using an iPad to take pictures.

Although, add me to the camp of the Apple watch is a stupid idea, and hope to see it fail in a couple years.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 08:57 AM   #37
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Anyhow, I saw a little news segment about how some people are claiming that the Apple Watch is shaking up the watch industry; some even went as far as stating that it could threaten all the Swiss watch makers.

I personally found it ridiculous!! The Apple Watch is a toy and should not even be compared to those mechanical pieces of art that are Swiss watches. I hate how Samsung and Motorola have had watches out for a while but when Apple releases a watch it is earth shattering.
this is something that has bothered me for years, it has been the case with ANYTHING apple does, since the release of the iPhone. Android technology had already been out but no one cared it existed, when iPhone came out...it was like OMG A TOUCHSCREEN!?!?!

ill give you an even better example.....the first iPhone did not have copy/paste or MMS....features that Androids and dumb phones have....no one cared.....as soon as it got released, it was like the second coming of Jesus!!!

I'm not going to turn this into an Apple vs Android debate, but the point I wanted to make is Apple isnt in the market for innovation, they are in the market to catering to their followers who just so happened to be die hard loyal followers. new iPhones come out every year, no one NEEDS to upgrade every year but yet people line up for days for it. i cant explain why Apple has this mind control over its followers but it does....so they literally can slap a logo on shit and it will sell out in minutes

regarding apple vs swiss watches.......its targeting a younger generation that doesnt care about the complications and technical aspects of a swiss watch. plus the apple watch is only a few hundred dollars (cheap version).......and comparing that to a mechanical watch in a similar price range.....the Apple brand will hold more value because it has no competitors whereas you can go buy a Seiko or Movado...but its still not a rolex or breitling
      04-23-2015, 09:46 AM   #38
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
It's funny to me how upset the Apple watch makes people-- especially watch people! Don't like it? Don't buy it. Whew...

Personally, I don't wear a traditional watch. It's jewelry and... well, I'm not a jewelry kind of dude.

The Apple Watch, because it actually has some functionality beyond time telling (which I have without a watch), is the first watch that has tempted me.

Absolutely, 100%, I'd rather have it than a traditional/mechanical/jewelry watch. I'm not sure I'd rather have it than nothing.

I'm thinking maybe second gen is when I'll jump in, when it (hopefully) gets a bit skinnier. Or maybe I'll stick with nothing on my wrist. :P

So long as it makes it through a day, that's sufficient battery life for me. Every review I've read says it does. Clearly it's not going to make it weeks or it would be a balloon on your arm-- this thing is a tiny computer, after all.

My take in cliffs:
Easily more desirable than a mechanical watch. Not sure it's better than no watch.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #39
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

I recently wrote two editorials on the matter of the Apple Watch and its potential impact. I'll dig them up over the next couple days and post them here.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 07:59 AM   #40
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

I can't believe this is even a thread, let alone a thread people are getting all up in arms about.

My take: So what if Apple made a "watch"? Are we really to expect that it is going to make Swiss mechanical movements obsolete?

The only people that buy a Rolex, Omega, Tag Heuer, Patek Philippe, Breitling, etc, aren't looking to strap an overpriced mini-tablet to their wrist. The individuals that buy said watches (or can even afford them for that matter) have higher class than that. These things are just a novelty. Once the "newness" wears off, they will drop drastically in price.

Whether or not they stick around and have success or drop off the face of the Earth as a failed Apple product which no one wanted remains to be seen. All I know is, I won't be buying one. Beyond that, I don't care one way or another about them.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 09:54 AM   #41
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Apple watches are competitors to the premium Swiss brands in the same way that Ford is a competitor the Mercedes Benz.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 10:20 AM   #42
shunderwunder
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mineral White 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
It's funny to me how upset the Apple watch makes people-- especially watch people! Don't like it? Don't buy it. Whew...

Personally, I don't wear a traditional watch. It's jewelry and... well, I'm not a jewelry kind of dude.

The Apple Watch, because it actually has some functionality beyond time telling (which I have without a watch), is the first watch that has tempted me.

Absolutely, 100%, I'd rather have it than a traditional/mechanical/jewelry watch. I'm not sure I'd rather have it than nothing.

I'm thinking maybe second gen is when I'll jump in, when it (hopefully) gets a bit skinnier. Or maybe I'll stick with nothing on my wrist. :P

So long as it makes it through a day, that's sufficient battery life for me. Every review I've read says it does. Clearly it's not going to make it weeks or it would be a balloon on your arm-- this thing is a tiny computer, after all.

My take in cliffs:
Easily more desirable than a mechanical watch. Not sure it's better than no watch.
Kinda how I feel too. Watches are mostly a fashion statement. I had a Movado for a while and most of the time I checked the time on my phone, Just wore it cause I like the way it looked. I cant wear any kind of watch with the kind of work I do so it doesn't really matter anymore. However I'd consider an Apple watch if I could because it does have the possibility to be more useful than you might think. I'd rather take a quick glace at my wrist when I get a notification than to pull my phone out. Is it necessary? No. Could it be a nice bonus? Quite Possibly. People that say this watch wont last need to look at apples track record. Fact is that the younger generation & those to come are going to be less impressed by a masterpiece of mechanical art than they are of something the can wear on their arm & "tweet" from. Its also funny to me that people talking about multi-thousand dollar watches are bitching about a possible $100 battery replacement.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 10:21 AM   #43
Lmw160
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 12 335i

First and foremost, the Apple is not a watch. It's simply a trendy, wrist worn reminder. It can flash and buzz to remind you to take your phone out of your pocket when you have a message. If you need that kind of expensive reminder, I'm sure it's wonderful.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 10:38 AM   #44
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I'm a watch guy but have no interest in this product. I view apple as a cult and abstain from drinking the koolaid.
Appreciate 0