BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Transitioning from C63S AMG to M550i xDrive

08-27-2017, 06:58 PM   #1
Roadkiller
Philosophiae Doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 BSM

Cool Transitioning from C63S AMG to M550i xDrive

I’d like to get some feedback from anyone who has come from a smaller/faster car (e.g., AMG, M3, M4, etc.) and moved into the new G30 vehicle (530, 540, M550). What was your transition like? Any regrets? How long (seat time) did it take to transition and adjust to the larger car? I know the power to weight ratio comes into play here but I’m looking for real world experiences and what people thought about the car after moving from a lighter and possibly faster car to the new G30 body.

I’m coming out of a W205 C63S AMG sedan but today I had the opportunity to briefly test drive a G30 540 at my local dealer. My plan is to get into a new 2018 M550i or perhaps the next M5 but sitting in and driving the 540 was sufficient for my research on the size and weight of the new body style.

The car I drove was fully loaded and the trim was much nicer than I’ve seen in pictures. The seats were very comfortable and declared the clear winner by my wife when comparing them to my current AMG seats. The technology was amazing – kudos to BMW for the new iDrive. Having said that, I was underwhelmed by the B&W surround system and wonder if it is really worth the $3,400. The cabin was nice and quiet so I think the HK system should suffice unless you’re an audiophile.

I don’t have any problems with the interior of the car – it’s very nice and much better (IMHO) than my AMG. My dilemma is that I had a very short test drive of the car and walked away thinking it felt a bit heavy. Yes, I know it IS heavier than my C63S, which is about 4,100 lbs with a panoramic roof. I’m just curious about what others experienced with little things like parking the car, lane changes, etc. after moving from a smaller/quicker car to a larger car. Should I have any anxieties? Perhaps I just need to find a M550i to test drive to ease my concern about going from the torque and exhaust sweetness of the C63S to the M550i.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
sitcom323
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘23 i7 xDrive60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkiller View Post
I’d like to get some feedback from anyone who has come from a smaller/faster car (e.g., AMG, M3, M4, etc.) and moved into the new G30 vehicle (530, 540, M550). What was your transition like? Any regrets? How long (seat time) did it take to transition and adjust to the larger car? I know the power to weight ratio comes into play here but I’m looking for real world experiences and what people thought about the car after moving from a lighter and possibly faster car to the new G30 body.

I’m coming out of a W205 C63S AMG sedan but today I had the opportunity to briefly test drive a G30 540 at my local dealer. My plan is to get into a new 2018 M550i or perhaps the next M5 but sitting in and driving the 540 was sufficient for my research on the size and weight of the new body style.

The car I drove was fully loaded and the trim was much nicer than I’ve seen in pictures. The seats were very comfortable and declared the clear winner by my wife when comparing them to my current AMG seats. The technology was amazing – kudos to BMW for the new iDrive. Having said that, I was underwhelmed by the B&W surround system and wonder if it is really worth the $3,400. The cabin was nice and quiet so I think the HK system should suffice unless you’re an audiophile.

I don’t have any problems with the interior of the car – it’s very nice and much better (IMHO) than my AMG. My dilemma is that I had a very short test drive of the car and walked away thinking it felt a bit heavy. Yes, I know it IS heavier than my C63S, which is about 4,100 lbs with a panoramic roof. I’m just curious about what others experienced with little things like parking the car, lane changes, etc. after moving from a smaller/quicker car to a larger car. Should I have any anxieties? Perhaps I just need to find a M550i to test drive to ease my concern about going from the torque and exhaust sweetness of the C63S to the M550i.
This might not help, but here goes. I did the exact opposite. Came directly out of a '14 550i into a '16 M4 Competition.

It's been 15 months with the new ride and there are things I miss about the 550i. I describe that car as the "executive jet" -- plush, luxe, quiet and fast as sh*t. The seats were sublime, the interior quality really awesome (ceramic knobs only avail on 550i & M5), and just super comfy. BUT things bugged me then that I don't have now on the M4.

The 550i defaults to Comfort mode EVERY time you start the car -- also true for G30. That means lazier throttle tip-in, 2nd gear starts, and a gauziness to everything that only burns off once you get on the throttle. Again, think exec jet on a runway.

It's a different mindset. Less boy racer. More gentleman racer.

GONE: 2022 X7, 2019 750i, 2016 M4 Competition, 2014 550i, 2008 335i, 2005 MINI Cooper S, 2002 X5 3.0, 1999 328i
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 06:27 PM   #3
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

I assume you test drove G30 Msport? Even in MSport you have different suspension and wheel combos so knowing what you drove will help.

when I moved from E92 to F10 there was an adjustment that I had to go through... I guess anyone moving to a larger car will have those moment. But once you go through that breakup phase you'd be just fine

I've H&K and its not great... just okay.
Appreciate 0