BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Does my CA have more accurate tracking info than BMW Genius?

03-29-2018, 09:30 PM   #1
Agouti
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1

So the BMW Genius said my car is scheduled to leave on a truck on April 1 and to arrive at my dealer on April 3.

A couple hours later my CA called to tell me that the car is on its way and will be at dealer today/tomorrow (29/30th). He then had insurance switch over.

I called BMW Genius again much later in the day (just before they closed) and got the original info still (April 1, arrive on April 3).

Is it possible that BMS Genius has out of date info? I'm now a little worried about the insurance swapping over tomorrow to a car I don't have.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 09:48 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agouti View Post
So the BMW Genius said my car is scheduled to leave on a truck on April 1 and to arrive at my dealer on April 3.

A couple hours later my CA called to tell me that the car is on its way and will be at dealer today/tomorrow (29/30th). He then had insurance switch over.

I called BMW Genius again much later in the day (just before they closed) and got the original info still (April 1, arrive on April 3).

Is it possible that BMS Genius has out of date info? I'm now a little worried about the insurance swapping over tomorrow to a car I don't have.
You have 30 days to swap over the insurance. Don’t do it until you have possession of the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 10:30 PM   #3
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

OP: To answer your question, yes your CA absolutely has the latest information. If there’s a change every day, your CA will have it in the computer every day. My CA called me whenever there was an update. During my order, the Genius was usually 2 to 10 days behind. I was driving my car home from the dealer while the Genius was saying it was still days away in transit.

Although the dealer probably was just trying to be a good guy and get ahead on some of the paperwork, he should not have switched over the insurance because you’re paying for it. You don’t own title to the car until both you and the dealer sign all the paperwork - after you inspect the car. If you’re worried about it, call the insurance company and tell them you haven’t taken possession of the car yet and that you will call them when you do. (As a matter of practice, I call my insurance company right before I leave home to pick up the new car, so it’s never not covered.)
Appreciate 1
Agouti3.50
      03-29-2018, 10:33 PM   #4
Agouti
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
Although the dealer probably was just trying to be a good guy and get ahead on some of the paperwork, he should not have switched over the insurance because you're paying for it. You don't own title to the car until both you and the dealer sign all the paperwork - after you inspect the car. If you're worried about it, call the insurance company and tell them you haven't taken possession of the car yet and that you will call them when you do. (As a matter of practice, I call my insurance company right before I leave home to pick up the new car, so it's never not covered.)
My guy was worried about Good Friday and not being able to have the insurance switch over. So his intentions were definitely in a good place, so I can't fault him for that.
Appreciate 1
Spa2k1193.00
      03-29-2018, 11:34 PM   #5
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
As I said earlier, you have a grace period to retroactively get your car insured. In my state it is 30 days. I can add and delete cars online to my insurance and I don’t need to talk to an agent. Just add your car after you take delivery.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 09:52 AM   #6
Agouti
United_States
Rep

Update: BMW Genius was correct and my CA was misinformed. He just let me know that it will be coming in on the third. At least I have a date now.
Appreciate 0