BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Are Manual Transmission BMWs Really a Dying Breed?

03-12-2014, 12:29 AM   #155
shmorgan77
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeeper
I am driving my first AT in my life, and my 7th Bimmer. And it's a great 8spd with paddles. My wife's car has a 6MT slushbox for fun and withdrawals.
Won't be slush if you get the shifter bushings replaced. People made fun of me for my shift feel. But with the bmw ssk, Active autowerke knob and all new bushings. Peoples think it's better then anything they've felt.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 12:43 AM   #156
Grock
Banned
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: RS5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune sama View Post
Without a clutch pedal, it's not the same.
YES! It's better and faster.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 01:10 AM   #157
Dj_Frost
Second Lieutenant
Panama
Rep
Drives: 07 335i & 94 3000GT VR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
I'll continue to drive (and prefer) manual transmission cars until my left leg is no longer operable.

I bought my current used 335i in the US rather that locally in Panama because I refused to go with the auto.

Before my e92 I had a e46 330ci and bought it AT because of the "traffic" excuse and it was so BORING to drive. I even installed paddle shifters to try and make it more engaging but nop, no go. From that moment on I said never again to AT. Before that I had a e36 318i and it was manual, so much fun even with literally no HP lol!

[Race] 1994 Rare Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4
[Daily] 2007 BMW E92 335i 6MT
SPECS: [SpaceGray.Sport.Premium.Nav] MODS: [BTDCI.AAFMIC.AABOV.EBAYDP.?EXHAUST.VPROCEDE.BSHOCC]
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 01:17 AM   #158
SickFinga
Captain
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
although the raw number of certain manual BMWs sold, such as the 3 Series, remains the same as 25 years ago. So, it's a matter of perspective when it comes to analyzing whether the manual transmission is truly 'dying' in BMWs.

And discuss...
Well, after doing some math, it's not true. The number of manual 3 series dropped significantly with the E9x chassis.

BMW built ~141,000 manual E36s and ~144,000 manual E46s, but only ~86,000 E9x. E30 is at 240,000 cars with a manual transmission.

The numbers do no include M3s
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 01:43 AM   #159
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing
The choice is easy for me. For any given car, as long as it offers an automatic transmission that outclasses its manual counter part, I would choose the automatic. Otherwise, I shift my own gears.

I don't understand those who "must" have manuals. I can understand those who only drive automatics (my wife), but why would ANY self proclaimed "car enthusiast" limit himself to a manual transmission?
So your open wheel car is a 4spd auto?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 01:46 AM   #160
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh
Only DCT drivers who came from MT background will agree with me on this; if you like rowing your own gears then get a DCT!
I guarantee you that DCT drivers change gears significantly more than MT for same distance and same traffic. I once was an MT driver and under certain situations I cut corners, I take a turn on third gear not second when it would have been better done on second. I accelerated after slowing down on fourth when I should have dropped to third for 20 seconds. I've been in this DCT for 4 years/70K and this behavior has completely disappeared. If I want to drop a gear for 7 seconds then back where I was, so be it, I do it. I ALWAYS take turns in the appropriate gear and even slowing down to a red light my gears are coming down with me just in case the green light pops up. It is in fact more engaging. Then add the faster factor, no miss shifts and the option of using it as automatic when absolutely needed (coffee, having to hold your hyperactive dog in passenger seat till you get home
Huh? I disagree i heeltoe shift (the ONLY way to shift) to the right gear everyday just for fun. I'm also practicing 5th to 3rd, 5th to 2nd, to 4th to 2nd (jumping gears) now so i time those better. Rather than 5-4-3-2, etc.

For me what makes it a difficult choice is that dct is so fun on the track/canyon but not so much in regular driving whereas a manual is fun 100% of the time. Yes, also in bumper to bumper traffic. Even though i try to go to the track multiple times a month, in reality my driving will mostly still be a commute.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 02:13 AM   #161
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Sorry if this was already mentioned but I didn't read all 8 pages..

The proof that the MT BMW is on it's way out in the US market is that MT is now a no cost option whereas we used to have to pay extra for the Auto.
The financial incentive of the MT is gone, the performance and efficiency advantage of the MT is gone. The only benefit that remains is the fun/involvement factor.
It's only a matter of time.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 03:48 AM   #162
conradb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 (ZCP/DCT/ZCV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grock View Post
LOL?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 05:22 AM   #163
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
And you, obviously, are superior to him because you move your left foot on your way to Costco. Keep living on the edge.
Well first off, I've never been to Costco, and never plan on going. And you move your leg, not your foot when using a clutch; apparently you've never driven a manual transmission car. Second, in 2012 I had surgery on my LEFT knee and was driving to PT the second week after surgery, and was back driving my 160 mile commute to work the 4th week after surgery in my MT BMW, so yeah, I'll go with superior.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 05:28 AM   #164
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Sorry if this was already mentioned but I didn't read all 8 pages..

The proof that the MT BMW is on it's way out in the US market is that MT is now a no cost option whereas we used to have to pay extra for the Auto.
The financial incentive of the MT is gone, the performance and efficiency advantage of the MT is gone. The only benefit that remains is the fun/involvement factor.
It's only a matter of time.
Then there is the Cadillac ATS. Buy the manual trans and get a limited slip diff for free.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 05:43 AM   #165
E85BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grock View Post
But artificial. It takes all the fun out of driving a car. I'd rather spend my time getting better connected to my vehicle using my feet, hands, and mind to improve my shifting rather than just my finger to pull a shift paddle.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 05:47 AM   #166
E85BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Huh? I disagree i heeltoe shift (the ONLY way to shift) to the right gear everyday just for fun. I'm also practicing 5th to 3rd, 5th to 2nd, to 4th to 2nd (jumping gears) now so i time those better. Rather than 5-4-3-2, etc.

For me what makes it a difficult choice is that dct is so fun on the track/canyon but not so much in regular driving whereas a manual is fun 100% of the time. Yes, also in bumper to bumper traffic. Even though i try to go to the track multiple times a month, in reality my driving will mostly still be a commute.
Seconded, though I'm always doing sixth to fourth or sixth to third when I'm slowing down
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 05:49 AM   #167
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by riM3 View Post
Bingo- all the folks telling me how much better the slush boxes are one step removed from the folks who wi be telling me how much better my Google driver is than me. Pass. Autos are for utility- not for enjoyment.
Yeah, and the Catholic Church teaches the same thing about sex...
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2014, 06:38 AM   #168
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I bought a f30 335i 6mt 2 years ago. I always drove manual trannies( EU) so no problem. But when I traded the damn thing in , for my current 1M,after a bit more than half a year because of the common issues, the dealer got stuck with that car , it didn't have many kms on it and had nice options. It was rather loaded. They sold it last week with a lot of financial loss they told me. Reason: the 6mt.
In EU the manual tranny still is popular but not in more expensive , bigger, more exotic and sportier cars...
So they got stuck with it 15 months...

Within 10 ryears I foresee the total world carpeoduction being dct, aut, whatever it is called . End of story for manual transmissions ...

The times they are changing...

Cheers
Robin( 1M 6MT enthusiast)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 07:22 AM   #169
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
one of the main reasons my future car will be an M4 is because of the manual transmission option

the fact that mercedes or lexus do not offer manual transmission gives a BIG advantage to bmw
swap that to m3 and same story here

though I have to say that I am more impressed with the f8x m3 than I was / am with the e9x.
      03-12-2014, 07:25 AM   #170
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post

this

I honestly don't care if its "slower". My driving skills can stand a lot of improvements on the track, and shifting isn't a major issue that is costing me a lot of time. And yeah, ive driven manual and DCT on track.
      03-12-2014, 07:30 AM   #171
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradb View Post
I've driven many types of transmissions. Honestly, the traditional H pattern w/ clutch is only good for some fun/enthusiast driving. It's not built for the track, even though it obviously can be used, but hey, so can an AT. The H pattern is too error-prone and you can easily misshift, causing some potentially serious damage. I have DCT in my E92 M3, and I really enjoy it 90% of the time. I've taken it on the track and it's great for upshifts. On downshifts it's kinda retarded sometimes. I've driven true dogbox racing SMG's in entry level formula cars, and they're great on the track.

I'm actually looking at getting my hands on a used Radical SR3 RS next year w/ a 6spd SMG dogbox. I will also be doing Euro delivery on a new 550i in 2 weeks! I opted for the 8spd sports AT w/ paddles. Sometimes I miss having an H pattern, as I did on my '89 325i, but when I sit in LA traffic I'm glad I don't have a clutch for my DD.
no disrespect to you, and you seem to have a lot more track driving experience than I do, as ive only been on track for probably 25 total days....but I cant agree with you on how easy it is to mis-shift in a normal manual. I have never missed a gear on track or on the street. now, not being totally smooth on a downshift while driving hard on track, sure. but not missing a shift and throwing it into the wrong gear.
      03-12-2014, 08:02 AM   #172
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
OK, I really tried to resist responding to this thread, but I'm traveling and need some downtime. One of the reasons for my hesitancy is that I have NOT read all 5 pages prior to reply; I usually try to read all responses before piping in.

BMW has my business because in 1999, the ONLY mid-size luxury car I could buy with a manual was a 5-series. Thus my BMW obsession began with a 528 5-speed (which arrived 3 mo later as automatic, but that is another story; suffice it to say it was corrected ASAP by the dealer), then a 2002 530 5-speed, then the M5 I still have and a Z4M coupe. While I admit to a small amount of inappropriate and indefensible glee that my M5 and Z4M were offered with manual transmissions only, really most of us are enthusiasts here and thus to each his/her own. When autos (dual-clutch or those with the dreaded torque converter ) became faster than manuals, I had to really consider what I was doing. So I tried them all, SMG (all generations), DCT, and most recently (in the M235i) the well-regarded ZF 8-speed auto (often for 1 week at a time).

For me, I'll take the manuals until car manufacturers stop offering them, which will likely be within 10 years. The cars are fast enough with the manual and I'm not tracking the cars for competition. I still get a thrill from knowing that my forward progress will be influenced at least somewhat by my skill and not just flooring the accelerator pedal (straight line only here - I realize that there is much skill to be had around the track regardless of transmission).

In the end, I'm grateful to BMW for offering manual transmissions (especially in the US relative to other countries in terms of the F1X M5/M6) and will buy them as long as offered. To those who prefer the auto/DCT option, I completely respect and understand that decision.

It's nice to have a choice.
+1. What I would do for an M2GC with MT. A man can wish. But I agree, once cars can not be had with MT, it's time to start going backwards.

And since you've tried pretty much every type of automated setups, you'll probably agree with me here that these technologies are great now, but eventually become obsolete, unlike MT which someone somewhere will want.

Anybody here looking for a mint E36 Estoril Blue with black interior an automatic transmission?
Or how about an Imola Red on Cinnamon leather, no sunroof car with SMGII?

Of course a lot of people here don't keep their cars for that long so it's all irrelevant to them I guess.

P.S. I love the idea of an E39 M5 and Z4M btw. It doesn't get much more analogue than that, what great cars.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 08:28 AM   #173
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_Frost View Post

I bought my current used 335i in the US rather that locally in Panama because I refused to go with the auto.

Before my e92 I had a e46 330ci and bought it AT because of the "traffic" excuse and it was so BORING to drive. I even installed paddle shifters to try and make it more engaging but nop, no go. From that moment on I said never again to AT. Before that I had a e36 318i and it was manual, so much fun even with literally no HP lol!
I just sold a '96 318ti for my boss, manual, it was so much fun to drive. It was an extra car she kept at work incase she needed to leave the company truck for whatever reason. I took it for a lot of errand running and loved it, I should have bought it for a beater.

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 08:44 AM   #174
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Since Bimmerpost people do not want to "give up" their "manhood-ual gearboxes" why not make cars that are autonomous and have manual gearboxes?

Simple solution!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 09:28 AM   #175
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune sama View Post
Without a clutch pedal, it's not the same.
      03-12-2014, 09:38 AM   #176
sobby
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mawana View Post
Doubt he really wanted a manual! Those who want a manual will wait for it...
+1 !