BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Modifications Bumper trim & diffuser install help

05-29-2018, 01:50 AM   #1
nate196
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i Xdrive

Bumper trim & diffuser install help

Need some help

Is this the correct river tool for bumper trim/ diffuser install ???

Thanks All
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 06:37 AM   #2
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

I've changed my diffuser 3 times now (replica and the 2 M Performance OEM varieties) and have not needed/used any rivets whatsover. Just the screws that hold the standard part on, and whatever screws came with the kit.

IIRC, there were rivets with the side skirt extensions, but I didn't use those either and just used screws.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 07:15 AM   #3
nate196
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
I've changed my diffuser 3 times now (replica and the 2 M Performance OEM varieties) and have not needed/used any rivets whatsover. Just the screws that hold the standard part on, and whatever screws came with the kit.

IIRC, there were rivets with the side skirt extensions, but I didn't use those either and just used screws.
Thanks alot
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 11:27 AM   #4
Canuck99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i, '15 Jaguar F-Type R

Quote:

+1 you shouldn't need any rivets, there are plastic press in snaps and screws used.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 07:07 PM   #5
2blu
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive ///M Sport

Anyone have a DIY ?

How do you remove the diffuser after you undo the dozen screws that are underneath ?

I noticed some electronics attached to the OEM diffuser, suppose those are for the kick motion trunk opening, once those come off with the stock diffuser, you obviously lose the function, but does it through an error code or check engine light ?
      10-30-2018, 07:38 PM   #6
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blu View Post
Anyone have a DIY ?

How do you remove the diffuser after you undo the dozen screws that are underneath ?

I noticed some electronics attached to the OEM diffuser, suppose those are for the kick motion trunk opening, once those come off with the stock diffuser, you obviously lose the function, but does it through an error code or check engine light ?
I have kick motion, and none of the elctronic modules come off with the diffuser. There is an 'inner skin' behind the diffuser that the electronics attach to - that skin stays put so all of your modules stay put too.

The kick motion still worked on my car when I installed my diffuser myself (albeit less sensitive), however when my car went in to the bodyshop for a paint repair on the bumper, they removed and then re-installed the diffuser. After that, kick motion stopped working weirdly (well it worked exactly 1 time but I can't replicate it, but it does mean I know the electronics are all still there even after the bodyshop refitted the diffuser).
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 11:15 PM   #7
2blu
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive ///M Sport

Quote:
I have kick motion, and none of the elctronic modules come off with the diffuser. There is an 'inner skin' behind the diffuser that the electronics attach to - that skin stays put so all of your modules stay put too.

The kick motion still worked on my car when I installed my diffuser myself (albeit less sensitive), however when my car went in to the bodyshop for a paint repair on the bumper, they removed and then re-installed the diffuser. After that, kick motion stopped working weirdly (well it worked exactly 1 time but I can't replicate it, but it does mean I know the electronics are all still there even after the bodyshop refitted the diffuser).
Thanks again for your input !
Appreciate 0