BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions M550 Sport setting for transmission

02-07-2019, 07:54 PM   #1
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

M550 Sport setting for transmission

Love my M550i, as I have said many times before. When I had the M4, I used to run the DCT in Drivelogic 2 setting all the time, because it behaved better and was less clunky than in Drivelogic 1, which was the default setting. I am now running my M550 transmission in Sport mode, whenever I am in heavy traffic, and often otherwise. Just a left flick of the shifter, and it changes everything. It actually acts very much like the M4 DCT in Drivelogic 2. It stays in gear, anticipating your next move. In heavy traffic, this means less braking as traffic slows, because the transmission acts much like a manual would, and the engine brakes for you. When not in traffic, it is always ready to go. Love this car, and the transmission!
Appreciate 2
clee1982797.50
      02-12-2019, 08:43 PM   #2
LetsrollM550
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
Love my M550i, as I have said many times before. When I had the M4, I used to run the DCT in Drivelogic 2 setting all the time, because it behaved better and was less clunky than in Drivelogic 1, which was the default setting. I am now running my M550 transmission in Sport mode, whenever I am in heavy traffic, and often otherwise. Just a left flick of the shifter, and it changes everything. It actually acts very much like the M4 DCT in Drivelogic 2. It stays in gear, anticipating your next move. In heavy traffic, this means less braking as traffic slows, because the transmission acts much like a manual would, and the engine brakes for you. When not in traffic, it is always ready to go. Love this car, and the transmission!
Unbelievable car! I went from a 2017 Vette, to a 2018 ZL1, to the 2018 M550i and this car is the real deal! Just raced my buddies 2009 Gallardo and blew his doors off twice! Can't really find any faults the best daily driver I've had hands down!
Appreciate 2
clee1982797.50
530iDriver1707.50
      02-12-2019, 09:25 PM   #3
Bymep
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i; sold 2003 330Ci

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [0.00]
I drive mainly surface streets and totally agree with OP. I'm nearly always in sport and use the engine braking to slow. Sport mode has great response.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 06:08 PM   #4
High Flier
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550iX

Thanks for the review! I've been holding off on the Sport transmission setting until the break-in is completed. Even so, my M550i shifts faster than I ever could shift a 6MT.

I've never owned a DCT, though, is it any faster?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 07:13 PM   #5
CosmicCharlie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M5 comp, '24 X7 m60i

100% agree the m550 transmission in sport mode is a beautiful thing. For the reasons already stated (mostly the manual-like control) I drive in sport plus almost exclusively. However, I'm always amazed when I drive in comfort mode at how incredibly buttery the upshifts are. Multiple personalities fit this car so well.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 08:21 AM   #6
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flier View Post
Thanks for the review! I've been holding off on the Sport transmission setting until the break-in is completed. Even so, my M550i shifts faster than I ever could shift a 6MT.

I've never owned a DCT, though, is it any faster?
DCT actually does shift a little faster, but the drawback for me was that it was a rougher shift. Not so much in upshifting, but the downshift was often a clunk into 2nd as you were turning into an intersection. It was the clunkiness that I didn't particularly like. The tranny in the M550 is awesome. Butter smooth in comfort and in sport, but acts like the DCT if you move the shift lever to the left, as I described above.
Appreciate 2
clee1982797.50
      02-14-2019, 01:23 PM   #7
Rotherd31
User Name
Rep
Drives: 2023 G83 BG/FR/ 963M wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsrollM550 View Post
Unbelievable car! I went from a 2017 Vette, to a 2018 ZL1, to the 2018 M550i and this car is the real deal! Just raced my buddies 2009 Gallardo and blew his doors off twice! Can't really find any faults the best daily driver I've had hands down!
Couldn't agree more LETSROLL! Had an M4 for three years and loved it, but my M550i is the berries for a DD and for me too, the best DD ever! Great handling, great performance, but a little softer suspension, more room and easier entry/exit make it a winner for me! And the same 0-60 of 3.9 that my M4 was. Priceless!!!
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2019, 08:36 PM   #8
rudling
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550ix

Do you guys know - what's the difference between the "sport" mode that we access by moving the shift selector to the left, and the "sport" transmission mode that's selectable via Sport Individual driving mode? Is there one? Just two different ways to access the same change, or do they invoke different behavior?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 10:15 PM   #9
Bymep
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i; sold 2003 330Ci

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Moving the lever to the left allows you to shift gears manually (via lever or paddles) in any mode (comfort, sport, etc). Changing mode changes shift points, throttle response, suspension, etc.

haven’t tried this yet, but heard from a genius that in sport plus, if you go into manual shift mode, the tranny will not change gears unless told to. In other modes, it will hold the gear while sensible, but will shift if the revs go too high
Appreciate 2
bastula183.00
clee1982797.50
      02-15-2019, 02:21 AM   #10
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bymep View Post
Moving the lever to the left allows you to shift gears manually (via lever or paddles) in any mode (comfort, sport, etc). Changing mode changes shift points, throttle response, suspension, etc.

haven’t tried this yet, but heard from a genius that in sport plus, if you go into manual shift mode, the tranny will not change gears unless told to. In other modes, it will hold the gear while sensible, but will shift if the revs go too high
Car doesn't upshift for you in sport manual. You can bounce off the limiter and it won't do anything.
Appreciate 2
clee1982797.50
Bymep132.00
      02-15-2019, 08:09 AM   #11
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsrollM550 View Post
Quote:
Hope you raced your buddy on a closed track?

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 01:29 PM   #12
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudling View Post
Do you guys know - what's the difference between the "sport" mode that we access by moving the shift selector to the left, and the "sport" transmission mode that's selectable via Sport Individual driving mode? Is there one? Just two different ways to access the same change, or do they invoke different behavior?
Not absolutely certain, but it appears to me to be different ways to get to the same thing, from a purely transmission perspective. Of course, Sport (or Sport Plus) driving mode also changes the suspension, steering, engine map, turbo waste gate behavior, and exhaust valves. If you just want the transmission changes, and leave everything else in comfort, adaptive, etc, just move the lever to the left (which, BTW, also turns off ASS). Indeed, multiple personalities........just like me (and many of you, I suspect!). I thought my M4 was cool, but this is even better given the comfort and elegance with which you can do all the above, without worrying about spinning out from uncontrolled rear wheels. This is such a great car!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 08:55 PM   #13
rudling
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550ix

Quote:
Not absolutely certain, but it appears to me to be different ways to get to the same thing, from a purely transmission perspective. Of course, Sport (or Sport Plus) driving mode also changes the suspension, steering, engine map, turbo waste gate behavior, and exhaust valves. If you just want the transmission changes, and leave everything else in comfort, adaptive, etc, just move the lever to the left (which, BTW, also turns off ASS). Indeed, multiple personalities........just like me (and many of you, I suspect!). I thought my M4 was cool, but this is even better given the comfort and elegance with which you can do all the above, without worrying about spinning out from uncontrolled rear wheels. This is such a great car!
Yeah, after experimenting a bit today, I think this is right - the transmission's shifting behavior, shift points, etc. seem to be the same whether the Driving Experience is set to "Sport" (or Sport Individual if you've configured it similarly) or the shifter is moved to the left with Driving Experience in any other mode.

The only difference I'm aware of is with respect to using the paddles - if the shifter is in the "D" position (to the right), and you use the paddles to up/downshift, the shift mode will stay in M/manual only briefly (I assume until it decides you're done being sporty for now) and then return to D/automatic. If the shifter is moved to the left to select Sport, then using the paddles will change to Manual shift mode, and it'll stay there until you move the shifter back to the right. This seems to be irrespective of which Driving Experience mode you're in.

Any other opinions/data points?
Appreciate 0